“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge

Save Saved
You added Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge to your Saves list
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Ocotal, 12 kilometers north of San Juan del Sur, San Juan del Sur 505, Nicaragua   |
Special Price
4X3 nights Special!
Ranked #6 of 20 hotels in San Juan del Sur
folsom, california
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We arrived at MR after leaving Aqua Wellness Resort because of a destination wedding there that we were uninformed about. Aqua, to their credit, refunded us for the night we spent there, and we moved on to MR at the last minute. We were the only ones staying there and had this amazing beach and park like setting all to ourselves. The food was fresh, delicious, and service was excellent (but then again, there was no competition for resources). The rooms are incredibly spacious, and the designer did an excellent job incorporating the indoors/outdoor feel. It was hard to decide whether to stay in the room or go down to the beach. Usually when we stay at a beach resort, I am eager to get on the beach, but the room is so lovely and incorporates the outdoors so well, it is hard to leave the room. It's a rustic setting, but it feels luxurious, in a natural kind of way.

Room Tip: There are many stairs down to the beach from the casitas, so be prepared for that. I didn't min...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MorgansRockMgr, Manager at Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments and it was great having you at our wonderful ecolodge.

279 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

If you truly want to check out, relax and be "one with nature" - go here. Bungalows are built in to the rainforest and have screened walls, so your vacation soundtrack is the soothing sound of the ocean, tropical birds and occasional howler monkeys.
There are bugs yes, but you're in the rain forest!
The service and food (all from the eco-lodge property) is simple and delicious.
I would recommend the night walk through the forest, and the farm tour - where we got to milk a cow, and help make our breakfast with a local family!
Overall a wonderful experience and we've recommended to several adventurous friends.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

Highlights: The most amazing private beach, well-maintained cabinas with stunning views, great food and service. It is very expensive, but you get what you pay for. I would recommend this to my rich friends.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MorgansRockMgr, Manager at Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for kind comments. We do our best keep the bungalows as clean as possible. Our food comes from local markets also. Glad you enjoyed your stay
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Morgan's Rock was recommended to me as a place to rest, enjoy nature and heal. After 3 years of health issues with my daughter, we visited Morgan's Rock to close the chapter and move on with our lives. Our experience was fantastic to say the least: we enjoyed the beautiful setting, the food, the friendly personnel and we felt very safe. I could not ignore the review regarding security and safety as I traveled alone with my 13 year old daughter. My experience is that if there were issues in the past (phone in the rooms, more security), the administration has taken the steps to address it. We felt safe and protected while in the resort and during the tours. We took several tours and observed that the driver (Rafael) and the guide (Bismar) did not lose sight of us, to the extent that when purchasing crafts and souvenirs they both ensured we were not taken advantage of with prices, exchange rate etc. While in the Hotel, waiters (Christian, the Chef) were always mindful of my allergy to gluten and had no issues during my stay. My daughter had small signs of a cold and every night there was a warm lemon and honey beverage waiting for us or delivered to our room courtesy of the General Manager (Alba). The front desk clerk (Louis) was always ahead of the game in terms of our activities and needs. I have learned that the “the devil is on the details” and our visit to Morgan’s Rock was an experience full of details that we will never forget. We are coming back for sure. No issue with safety and perhaps we would love to invest in Nicaragua as it is a great place to retreat. One suggestion I have is to reconsider the cost of transportation which I found excessive for the region and the cost of living in Nicaragua. It should be a courtesy as a luxury resort given that the cost of labor and food in Nicaragua is ridiculously low (statistics show that the minimum wage in Nicaragua is $200 USD per month). No doubt the Resort can perfectly absorb this cost regardless of how affordable it may seem from our USA and/or European standard. Just a little detail that will make the experience even better.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We´re glad you remembered the names of our Staff as they are truly the best in the business. Their efforts to make our guests feel at home goes above and beyond.
New York, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

8 months ago, I would have given Morgan’s Rock 5 stars. Today I absolutely cannot recommend it and here is why:

6 years ago I visited Morgan’s Rock with my parents and fell in love with the place. I had always wanted to return and my husband and I decided that this past New Years was a perfect time to go. The first day and a half spent there were great, however, things took a sudden turn for the worst our second night there. After going to bed early, my husband and I were awoken at 1 am to discover someone was in our bungalow and surveying our belongings to see what to take. The intruder, realizing that we were awake started moving quickly towards my husband in the pitch black room. Panicked and unsure of the intentions of the intruder, my husband stood up from bed and yelled at the top of his lungs. Startled the person ran out of the room and jumped over the balcony. Needless to say, we were extremely frightened. This feeling was heightened because after this person left we found ourselves without any means to call for help. There was no calling device in the room, no cell phone service, and we were at least a 10 minute walk from the lodge. Some security guards had heard my husband’s frantic call for help, and stationed themselves outside our room until the sun rose. That morning, we decided it was impossible for us to enjoy our vacation and found the first flight out of Managua.

I debated whether or not to publicize this experience on trip advisor because I was convinced this was an isolated incident and I also wanted to give Morgan’s Rock a chance to properly respond to what happened to us. However, after reading zsoliM’s post I realize that this is one of at least two similar incidents.

While I respect the owners’ of Morgan’s Rock vision of its property as an idyllic paradise, they need to come to terms with the reality of the world around them. It is one thing not to have locks on the doors of the bungalow, but yet another to deprive their visitors of any sort of emergency calling device within the rooms. We were at least a 10 minute walk from the lodge, most of it on relatively steep paths. Had something happened to us we would have had no way of calling for help except for the off chance that a security guard could hear us. What if someone staying alone had a heart attack? Although I realize they are trying to create a detached, “unplugged” atmosphere, I find this irresponsible.

Finally, I find the way in which they handled our experience outright disappointing. We had a frightening experience at their resort and we felt that we had to leave early, which was both inconvenient and costly. Along with being charged for our stay and all costs associated with it, we were charged with the transport to the airport. While, they have a right to charge of for these items, I found that Morgan’s Rock really has no sense of the type of courtesy associated with a “luxury” accommodation. Furthermore, no one at Morgan’s Rock followed up with us. It would have been a considerate and obvious gesture to write a letter or email to check in with us or explain security measures that had been taken as a result of our experience. Although Morgan’s rock charges the rates for a luxury eco-resort they most certainly do not act like one.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
MorgansRockMgr, Manager at Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
First and foremost, we apologize profusely for our delay in communicating to you, both at the time of your departure and in these several weeks following. In reading your comments, combined with our own internal review, we’re disappointed that these events happened just as you have laid out.

As a result, we have made several fundamental changes since December to ensure better security in the bungalows, including:
Installation of a land line communication system from each bungalow, via phone, with our reception, bar and management (operational 24 hours a day)
More robust locking systems inside the rooms for sliding doors.
Revamping of the operations and rotation conducted by our security guards to better ensure full coverage of the bungalow areas.
We completed the fencing of the property, as well a natural cactus barrier, to hinder any potential intrusion cactus from the neighboring property.
Unfortunately, construction on that property adjacent to the hotel, which has now been completed, has led to these very unfortunate events. But, as guest security is our top priority, we have taken the above measures to ensure the safety of our guests and staff.

We hope that our goal to offer a unique experience of immersion in the woods with the sound of the sea, the call of howler monkeys and birds singing will one day be the more pleasant memory you have of Morgan's Rock.
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Morgan's Rock wildly exceeded our expectations! We found the perfect, remote, and private location we were looking for! Our eco-lodge was phenomenal. Going to sleep every night with the waves crashing below you, waking up to fresh coffee at your doorstep, private beach, amazing fresh food, and very friendly staff made our vacation one of the best we have ever experienced! We will definitely be back and would recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your nice comments. The sound of the waves crashing below the bungalows really is calming. We hope to have you over soon enough. The beach will always be there waiting for you.
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Howling monkeys, balmy breezes, suspension bridge to get to your private bungalow - coffee brought to your room in decanters at 7 am - hot chocolate too.

Lavish menu choices, all fresh, visit the farm and milk a cow, see the cleanest free range chickens for poultry and eggs.

Shaded trail ride through the tropical monkey laden forest and ended up cantering on the private beach - horses were superbly trained and had the gentlest trot and lope.

Turtles laid eggs on the beach while we were there -

Peaceful, small, intimate, perfect for a honeymoon -

Reminded me of Fiji but with better food.

A deal for what you get.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
It seems that you really enjoyed your stay and did exactly what the owners intended their guests to do. We are all about doing activities and exploring nature and the surrounding property. We are glad you enjoyed your stay!

Been to Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge? Share your experiences!