“I loved it!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Alcazar

You added Hotel Alcazar to your Saves list
Hotel Alcazar
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle El Paseo Del Rey. Del Restaurante El Timon 150 Mts Al Norte | Del Restaurante El Timon 150 Mts Al Norte, San Juan del Sur 48600, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“I loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

On my 2 week trip throughout Nicaragua, I stayed in a wide spectrum of places (pretty much a different place every night). Alcazar had quite possibly the nicest and most comfortable accommodations.

Here are the pro's:
1) it's across from the beach and I had a sweet balcony view
2) very neat and clean rooms, nice bathroom with hot water
3) the only clean and functional pool that I saw the entire time
4) nice front desk woman and doorman.

Here are the con's:
1) at approximately 8am very loud construction work began next door
2) price was higher than most of my other places (~$90 for 2 queen bed room/triple occupancy)

Other:
In regards to the early morning noise.. no matter where you are in Nicaragua, it's difficult to sleep in due to roosters (rural), neighborhood noise (urban), or heat due to daily power outage (Little Corn Island) so don't let this sway you. There is also a flock of bird that chirp up a storm in the tree out front... it's actually pretty cool unless you're easily bothered.

Room Tip: Obviously if you're staying here you want a view of the beach. Second floor with balcony & b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
GteHotelAlcazar, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hotel Alcazar, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

We really appreciate guest who take some minutes of their valuable time to share their experience of their stay.

Soon the construction noise from the building next to us will be over so everyone will be able to enjoy their stay.

We are always open to receive feedback from our customers.

Thank you for having stayed in our hotel and for submitting your review about it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Rooms have been completely updated and they're very spacious staff is friendly and compeyent and eager to please. They also speak good English it is so close to bars which makes it somewhat noisy so bring your earplugs. There is also some construction going on nearby so don't plan to spend the day in your room

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your invaluable input. We do appreciate the time that you have taken to write a review about our hotel and we do thank you for the suggestions made to improve the service we offer to our guests.

We hope next time you stay with us you will see improvements in our premises and guest service.

Sincerely.
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel when it was the "Inn On The Pacific" several years ago. Back then it was the classic example of Absentee Ownership + Bad/Incompetent/Indifferent/Corrupt management. The place has since changed ownership/management and is now the Hotel Alcazar.

Worlds apart from when it was the Inn On The Pacific. Management is now very customer oriented, competent and eager to please. The hotel itself, under the new management/ownership is actually at it's very early stage, less that a month since their new "opening". As expected, the hotel is still undergoing changes while management is still going through it's "learning curve".

This is one of the top end/pricier hotels in the SJDS town proper. Location can't be beat as it is beachfront, 5 minute walk to practically anywhere in town and the patio area is PERFECT to people watch. Ice cream parlor across the street as is a very good/excellent, decent priced restaurant which actually delivers to the hotel, "room service" without the "hotel" prices : )... DOZENS of restaurants are also within walking distance.

The rooms are brand new, VERY nice, aesthetically speaking, but it has it's downside. Looks seems to have been the number one priority in remodeling the property while practicality took a backseat. No towel racks in the bathroom, curtains fall short of covering the whole window, no night table/reading light, no desk (for those who needs to work and not just check their email) and Wifi was unreliable, For me the desk issue was biggest downside. Minor issues really but still inconvenient....

Having said all of the above, I was assured by Daniel, front desk/management, that all this will be taken care of, as I said before they are still VERY new and still on the learning curve so I do not really see this as potential problems in the near future. As I said before they are eager to learn...Oh, another wifi router was installed the second night I was there so they really are trying very hard to make things right. My daughter said that the signal had improved but I have no patience myself as I am in e-commerce and Wifi is VERY important so after trying the first day I just gave up and decided to work after we left, we were there for the weekend anyways so I could afford not to work.

As for the previous reviewer, about the construction worker issue, this is normal/expected behavior in all of Latin America!!! I live in Costa Rica, travel with my 2 college aged daughters and wife all the time and stuff like the previous reviewer mentioned happens (more than I would like lol). It is what it is. I'm not saying it's correct but blaming the hotel for something that is completely out of their control is absurd (and calling the police about it, pleazzzz). Sticks and stones... Enough said : )

Would I stay here again? YES, in a heartbeat. Price/Quality ratio is very good, Location can't be beat, in the middle of everything, friendly staff, decent patios, nice pool area (although on the small side, still adequate for the size of the hotel).

Before I forget, noise can be an issue for some as there are several bars/clubs that has loud/live music on the weekends (Thurs to Sat). It was not really an issue for us but it might be for some (specially older folks), just something to keep in mind. Maybe plan your stay on a weekday if you are noise sensitive or bring those earplugs with you : )

Also the curtains are not "dark" enough to filter the street light across the street, but once again, it was not a problem with us but might be for some.

In closing, stay here for the location, friendly staff (Daniel & Alexandra), nice rooms, patio, pool area, "room service" from the rest across the street and the modern BRAND NEW rooms, price/quality ratio, and did I mention LOCATION : )

Looking forward to another stay at this hotel, maybe later this year, or sometime early next year....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

While in good location,and well appointed,they still have problems from new ownership. There is no breakfast,and few restaurants are open nearby at an early hour. The greatest negative is a construction site next door,where uncouth,workers molest women with their unwanted and obnoxious gestures. In my case my wife and I could not leave the hotel for a walk without provoking this type of outrageous behaviour. I stopped a police patrol and asked them to explain that this neanderthal behaviour is forcing us to cancel a stay I prepaid, as I refuse to accept insults in a place where I am a paying customer. The hotel staff itself was reluctant to even ask the construction foreman to stop the unwanted gestures.. I strongly advise female travellers or couples to avoid this hotel,due to the obnoxious workers next door.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious,and clean. There is no breakfast,even COFFEE!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
sweetnicagirl, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel Alcazar, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Mike,

Thank you for your comment about our hotel.

We are relatively a new hotel, and we are in the process of adding all the services that we would like to offer to our guests.

The building is still in the process of redesign, and remodeling, so there are still some missing services and amenities in our facilities that we still have to add to make our guests have a more comfortable and pleasant stay in our hotel.

We are indeed really sorry for what happened to your wife and you outside of the hotel. We know it is so upsetting being bothered or molested on the street, however we do not have any control over the things or problems that happen to our guests on the streets, it is beyond our will and control these kind of bad experiences, but it is too bad that this happened to you and that you have blamed it on the hotel staff. We are and we will always be responsible for all the things that happen to our guests in our hotel, in our building, inside our premises only.

It is always good that these kinds of bad situations like molestations, harassments, or any other kind of verbal or physical abuse to be reported to the police or the respective authorities just like you did when you called the police to talk to those people who bothered you.

Once again we are really sorry that this happened to you in our town which is normally a very tranquil, and laid back town.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in the hotel.

Been to Hotel Alcazar? Share your experiences!