“Right at the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Camino Ostional 6.6KM al Sur de SJDS, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Zürich
“Right at the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel/restaurant is the only place at Playa Hermosa. I have mixed feelings as it is a private beach (entrance fee $7 I think) so it is a typical story of taking away a piece of nature from the locals.But it is a nice and clean place to relax, surf, have a drink and spend the night.

During the day, the beach is pretty crowded with people coming in from San Juan for the day. They all leave around 5pm - and that is when you will have the beach almost to yourself.

The cooking crew leaves at 7pm, so your dinner should be ordered and finished a bit before that. There is not much more to do in the evenings other than have some drinks. Not many guests around at the time we were there. We went to bed very early.

The friendly guard will ask you at what time you can have the electricity turned off. So make sure to bring a headlamp.
We had one of the beachview rooms. Lovely open spaces, fell asleep by the sounds of the waves. And woke up from mosquito bites...make sure to close your net thoroughly.

In the morning you will have the beach to yourself, awesome experience. Breakfast is good.

They charged us $60 + tax for 3 persons in the room. The dorm bed are pretty expensive too.

One night here was awesome but wouldn't do it again. More fun in SJDS.

Room Tip: Take a beachview room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Took a long weekend trip here from San Juan del Sur, wanting to get out of the city. We had no problem emailing the hotel (communicated with Eduardo), setting up our reservation, and having the shuttle meet us in town, gratis, and punctual. The hotel is lovely, especially the private rooms. Large bathroom with good water pressure, lovely balcony overlooking the water, locking cabinets for your valuables/money (always lock your stuff, no matter what country you're in!). The king beds are actually two twin mattresses, which were *very* firm, but also very new. Clean sheets and towels provided. The mosquito net wasn't big enough for a king bed - definitely led to us wearing bug spray to bed - as we couldn't have a fan to blow away the bugs - there's no electricity here except for a few hours after sunset - but we couldn't hear the generator and had no issues with lights as did another reviewer. No electricity also means no internet - which for a few days really wasn't a problem..nice to get away. Although the website talks up the food like at a full service resort, everything is run out of the bar and through a tiny kitchen (which does have power, obviously) by the Nicaraguan workers - who are wonderfully nice and accommodating, but most speak very little English - bring your dictionary, patience and tranquilo attitude! As vegetarians, we were a little more aggressive in ordering "off the menu" (which is a surfboard over the bar) and getting in on some of what the workers were eating - beans and rice for example. Very delicious food, reasonable prices and breakfast is included in your room rate. We had a lovely time, tho we were kind of surprised by the rustic amenities that were glossed over on the website, but had wonderful friendly people there to help us and a gorgeous beach practically all to ourselves.

Room Tip: "Forest" view rooms actually face the parking lot, chose an "ocean" room if you...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Just returned home to NYC after spending the weekend on Playa Hermosa & feel like I left paradise behind!! Everyone was so friendly & accommodating - from the guys who transported us back & forth to town, everyone at the bar/restaurant where I ate the most delicious lunches, the amazing baby turtle release, & fun surf lessons with Saúl/San Juan Surf. Dreaming of a future visit & will definitely stay at hotel next time. Didn't stay overnight but checked out rooms & they were clean & spacious, & highly recommended by guests who stayed there. Muchas Gracias por todo!! ~Esperanza

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Ollantaytambo, Peru
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

The Positives:
The Hotel owns a private beach and it is stunning. Great water to swim in and hammocks to lay in next to the beach. I got to help release baby turtles into the ocean. Wonderful and delightful experience. The bed was hard but acceptable. The restaurant has great food and breakfast is included in the price.
The Negatives:
The reason I rated this as poor was because of the lack of management onsite. Dealt with a maid on check-in that did not know a word of English. Nobody on staff could speak English. I can speak some Spanish but am not fluent. It cost me $13 to get there from San Juan and pay the "Entrance Fee." An entrance fee to go to the hotel?????They said they accepted credit cards. There are credit card logos everywhere. But they do not know how to use the machines. I was told that someone would be there after 3:30 pm that knew how to run the credit card. As it turned out, I was suppose to pay in San Juan Del Sur and not at the hotel. They said they would take me in the morning and I waited. I watched as I saw them take off in the truck. So I had to go back to San Juan del Sur, another $20 for a taxi. They told me they would have taken me to SJS if I had waited. Well, they already took off without me, how much longer do I want to wait? By this time I just wanted to get away from there. I would have stayed another 3 or 4 days if it had not cost me an extra $33 just for the privilege of staying at their hotel. They use a generator for electricity yet I had no lights in my room. Could not take out my contacts because of no lights, so my eyes were swollen and red the next morning.
The generator was next to the room and though I went to bed at 12:30 AM the generator ran for some time. Nobody could sleep in the room except for me as I can sleep in a war zone with no problems.

BIG WARNING: They leave the place unprotected and loads of San Juan tourist come in for the beach during the day. My clothes where scattered and gone through. I had all my valuables in a big locker with lock that they provide. Nothing was stolen but they were looking to steal "something."

I am a tour operator and was looking to put over 100 people in there in their low season of August. NOT!

TIP:Bring flashlights and cash only. Take into account taxi or shuttle cost. Shuttle is their time schedule not yours. If you miss it or come in late.... you have to take a taxi.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Lucerne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

After staying some nights in busy San Juan del Sur, relaxing here was just great. The accomodation is a big wooden house which was just rebuilt one year ago. Our room was upstairs, with a huge balkony overlooking the sea, you could push the doors to both sides so you had the whole view. The bathroom inside was clean and spacious. The staff was friendly and there is a bar/restaurant just in front of the accomodation. Our room costed 42 Dollars per night. There are as well dormitories (18 Dollars per night). This might seem expensive, but its definitely worth it, the beach is beautiful, good for surfing, but also very nice to sunbathe and relax.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple