“Great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Del Mar

Save Saved
You added Casa Del Mar to your Saves list
Casa Del Mar
paseo del ray frente la playa 150 mtrs norte Iguanas, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Wexford
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Myself and three friends spent three nights in Casa Del Mar in July. Its a small hotel that's more like a hostel in many ways! It had some good and bad points but over all we enjoyed our stay.
The main pros were the location and the mojitos! Its located right opposite the beach, there is also a quirky bar full of ex-pats right opposite where we spent our evenings! and the mojitos! they were unreal, i honestly don't think Ive ever had nicer! Nothing better than relaxing out the front of the hotel watching the sunset with one of these. The spanish owner cooks paella each evening for a reasonable price which also looked lovely.

The main negative here were the beds. We stayed in a 6 bed dorm between four of us. The matresses were so hard I wouldn't have been able to stay much longer than 3-4 days, on our last night one of us even chose to sleep outside on a hammock! Another day we 'got in trouble!' for having our own food which was bought for a boat trip that day. Not really a problem for us ...and i suppose it's a policy that most hotels have... just something for budget travelers to be aware of if they are looking for a more hostel type place where they can make their own snacks and bring their own drinks.

Overall I think the cheap price, the mojitos and the location won me over and would recommend this hotel/hostel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Gunnison, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

A month in San Juan Del Sur, and three hostals later I finnaly found my home away from home. What drew me into this place at first was its prime location next to the beach. My friend broke her flip flop and we needed to sit down for a bit because the pavement was way to hot to walk, so we went to Casa del Mar for the 2 X 1 Mojito deal. Two mojitos later the owner, an amazing woman from Spain, gave my friend a pair of shoes so she could walk back to our hostal safely. After this act of kindness we moved from Casa Oro, where we were crammed into dorms like sardines, to Casa del Mar. This was my first real sleep since I had been in Nicaragua. No waking up from sweats or noisy neighbors. This place is a great price, tranquil enviornment, sublime energy, and the best mojitos in Nicaragua. I highly recomend this beach front hostal to any backpacker traveling to San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have been living in Nicaragua for about a year and a half, and last month, for the first time ever, somewhat sceptically, I made it to San Juan del Sur.

Without planning I came across Casa del Mar and decided to stay there, I was very happy with my decision.

The hostal is perfectly located, right opposite the beach and a couple of beach-front bars. The place is clean and the dormitories are nice, with new and comfy mattress, although could do with a couple of extra fans. At $7 for the night, I was very happy, especially as the people staying in dorms were spread out across the 3 different dorms that the hostal has, instead of packing everyone into one dorm, which is often what happens.

The Spanish owner is very friendly and makes a very good effort to make all guests feel very welcome.

I would certainly recommend this place, and without a doubt will stay there again the next time in San Juan.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Casa Del Mar? Share your experiences!