“Maybe expected more..” 3 of 5 stars

Description: Serving our customers since 1991. Authentic spanish cuisine
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
“Maybe expected more..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Being the only spanish restaurant in town and with a great location I came to this restaurant twice with different sets of friends expecting a little bit more than what I got. Food is ok, but nothing blew my mind. The first time we had all sorts of tapas. They were out on a couple of items which I'm fine with. The croquetas weren't really tasty, it was doughy-like. Shrimp nd octopus were nice. Mussels weren't cooked right since they tasted sandy still. Don't get me wrong, but being a cook, I tend to notice these details.
On my second visit me and my friends stepped in just aminutes before closing time so service was way quicker than ever, which made me smirk a bit. I had the Paella Meson, but it came out mushy and it was stuck to the bottom of the paella. It was tasty and I ate most of it, but I know that's not the way that I wanted it. Afterwards I heard you can ask how dry you want it but they never even offered me the choice.
It's a great place, the service is perfect and they will welcome you with a smile. It is not a bad review, it is just details they can improve to be even better!

• Visited January 2013

Delray Beach, FL
“Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was expecting a delightful treat, but instead was a bit disappointed. The location is nice as it's on the beach and on the end where it is more quiet which sets it for a romantic air. Service was nice, but not so helpful. (language barrier perhaps?... which I blame myself for) We had paella, mussels and tapas sampler which did not meet my expectations. The paella was a bit "fishy" and if it is fresh seafood, you know it shouldn't be this way. Taste was lacking in the mussels. The price was not on par with the food.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Vancouver, Canada
“Great for sunset tapas.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Lovely beach location, great ambiance, ok service. Paella was yummy but low on protein...definitely recommend the pan fried squid as an appetizer, however the "tapas sampler" was smallish and disappointing. Recommend as a tapas stop for a sunset cocktail...then move on.

• Visited January 2013
Houston, Texas
“Great Beach Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The paella was very good. 4 of us dined at Meson and each tried a different paella, all were great, no to go leftovers for us, we all ate every bite. The sangria is good too!

Visited November 2012
San Francisco, California
“Delicious Paella!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Came for lunch on our way into Playa del Coco (San Juan del Sur). The paella was delicious. Very authentic (tastes just like mom's!). Enjoyed the paella with some Sangria.

The restaurant is small and you are right on the beach. Warning: on windy days the sand flies up from the beach and will come up onto your table if you are seated on the lower level.

Service was good.

They have a second location in Managua at the Galleria.

• Visited December 2012