“Best Hostel I've ever been to” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yajure Surf Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Yajure Surf Hostel
You added Yajure Surf Hostel to your Saves list
Barrio la Talangera, San Juan del Sur 87206, Nicaragua   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
“Best Hostel I've ever been to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Planned on 4 days, stayed 3 weeks.

Best atmosphere of any hostel I've stayed at. Always a great crowd, social atmosphere, great common area outside. You can buy beer there or bring your own, Ping pong table, tv room, clean swimming pool, right on the beach, hammocks to chill out in all day under palm trees. Can't beat this place

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here at the tail end of Semana Santa and loved being away from the craziness of the town. The hostel is very clean and Chely, the owner, is extremely nice-- he handed us cold beers the second we got there-- and very helpful, offering us advice and surf lessons during our stay. He definitelyThere were a lot of American and Canadian travelers there and the place had a very chill, surfer vibe and was complete with a big, clean pool, a tightrope and multiple hammocks. Definitely recommend for travelers on a budget! One tip: they only accept cash when checking out.

Also-- the only reason I ranked sleep quality as low is because those celebrating Semana Santa 1/2 mile down the road were playing music very loud, making it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hostel Yajure was an amazing place to stay--I stayed here with a girlfriend of mine at the beginning of our trip in Nicaragua, and we absolutely loved it. We planned to stay for only a couple of days, and extended it to four since we were having so much fun. The atmosphere at Hostel Yajure is what makes it so special--there are lots of places to just lounge and around and hang out, and it is really easy to meet like-minded people. Chely is super chill, and a great resource for advice about nearby beaches, transportation, etc.

We stayed in a dorm room with air conditioning, and it was great. The beds were comfortable, and the AC kept the room very cool (maybe even a little too cold!), but there were blankets available which made the temperature just right.

Like the review below said, my only negative would be that the free breakfast is just toast, and the coffee was usually out by the time I woke up. BUT that wasn't really a problem, since there were a lot of inexpensive, yummy places to eat in San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Yajure for a couple days at the beginning of our trip. It was the best hostel we stayed at in Nicaragua. The hostel is exactly what we wanted out of a hostel - really relaxed and fun. The whole place has a really awesome vibe. Chely is laid back and fun to chill with. Everyone at the hostel was down to hang out and go out together. The pool is awesome and a great way to escape the heat. Only downside is that the free breakfast isnt much - just white bread and jam. We would both stay again here in a heartbeat - it was hard to leave!

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The beachfront location and the people who run the place (even oscar) are unreal, the pristine pool and the open space living were the nicest and cleanest we saw in 5 months of travelling through Central America. The music and the chilled out vibe were all-time. Chely and the staff were so helpful and friendly. Didn't matter what we wanted, he would help us out. When we went surfing, he showed us how, when we went drinking, he showed us how, when we were leaving after 2 weeks he got sad but still helped us by hooking us up with accommodation at another cool place. He even helped us meet some really cool guys in another town who took us surfing at some sweet breaks...

Best hostel I've been to. No doubt!

• Stayed September 2012
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Living in Costa Rica, I travel to San Juan del Sur often for a little vacation from my life of vacationing. The first place I ever stated at was Yajure and have stayed there ever since. It is located on the beach at the North end, about a five minute walk from the busier part of town, which is really nice for the noise factor.

The place is a sweet house, converted into a hostel, with great lounging areas, dining spots and a sweet pool. There are loads of hammocks and great outdoor areas to catch sun or hide in the shade. It is always clean and very affordable for a private room with a king bed.

The manager Chely, is a great guy. The first time I stayed there, as soon as I arrived, he threw me into his truck, took me downtown, showed me around and bought me a burrito. He took me to grab Flor de Cana and some Tona before heading back to Yajure. He has always been very helpful and very welcoming. He loves his place and enjoys sharing it with good people. I could only imagine how difficult it would be running a hostel in San Juan del Sur, considering the town is infamous for attracting heavy party types. I do not love San Juan del Sur but staying at Yajure is a very good time and I would recommend it to anyone!

Chau!

• Stayed October 2012
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My wife and I travel quite a bit, but have never been in a hostel, because we're newly weds and like our privacy ;) But we met up with some friends in san juan who have stayed here before so we stayed in a shared room and separate bunks. We felt so safe and I actually left my macbook out on my bed almost the entire time I was here. Chelly, the owner of the place, was the man. He actually got to know us and we went out to dinner with him. It was one of the cleanest places we've been in Nicaragua and there is amazing artwork all over the place. Great pool, and really cool people staying here. There is an amazing kitchen and the upstairs is breezy with places to hang out. The whole place is set up for having a great time and getting to know people. The wifi is decent, the connection is best in the lobby area. In the main lobby area, you can buy a soda, or a giant water to hydrate. I can't believe it's so cheap, it's literally on the beach. Stay here while it's still a hidden gem. After becoming friends with Chelly, we're actually considering buying land here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Yajure Surf Hostel? Share your experiences!