“BEST place in SJDS” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Naked Tiger Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Naked Tiger Hostel
You added Naked Tiger Hostel to your Saves list
k138 carretera San Juan del Sur, San Juan del Sur 505, Nicaragua   |
Edmonton, Canada
“BEST place in SJDS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I loved Naked Tiger!!! My boyfriend and I planned to stay there one night and ended up staying for a whole week! The staff is amazing! They are helpful, considerate and fun! The atmosphere is chill during the day and sometimes crazy and super fun at night! Sunday Funday is a must! Overall, Naked Tiger is a great place to stay to meet other cool travellers and have a good time. The accommodations are clean and simple with storage under the bunks to lock your stuff, if you want. There are plenty of bathrooms for all the guests, including showers. I would highly recommend this hostel for any traveller. We chilled out by the pool during the day and at night we either went into town, via free shuttles every two hours, or we stayed at the hostel and had a great time! Such a great vibe, I want to go back!

Room Tip: They only have bunks available. There are no private rooms at this hostel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

To be honest I was severely concerned that it would be like project X with drunk passed out people everywhere, vomit, gnomes filled with coke (if you've seen the movie you can catch my drift). We heard about the Tiger from someone in Jaco during our first weekend in Costa Rica (which was 2 months ago), so we have been planning this trip for quite some time. The Tiger and SJDS was very hyped up, so I was pleasantly surprised when it not only met, but exceeded my expectations.

It was incredibly clean with a beautiful patio/pool area with an INCREDIBLE VIEW. The staff was super friendly and helpful (contrary to other reviews about their snobbiness). There were people from all over the world staying there and they were all very friendly. They had spacious lockers to put our stuff.. but even if they didn't have them I would be surprised if someone there would steal my stuff.. they were all so friendly and trustworthy. The food that was available in the restaurant was delicious and pretty inexpensive.

The Sunday Funday pool crawl was THE S***. It was very well organized and it was hands down the best party my friends and I had ever experienced. I did not see a single person puke (which I am still mulling over how that was even possible). Since we were staying at the tiger and it was the 2nd stop of the pool crawl I was worried that it would be TRASHED.. including the dorm rooms/guest areas.. but not at all. The bathrooms weren't spotless by any means but I was not squatting in the bushes like I thought I would have to be doing.

Overall, we had a BLAST. We were able to relax when we wanted to.. and we were definitely partying hard when we wanted to. I would highly recommend The Naked Tiger to my fellow travelers.

Party on you crazy tigers!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

The best hostel I've ever been to.

Everything works--the shuttles, the tours, the utilities... the staff is highly considerate and helpful, which is unbelievable considering how many people actually come through.

The lounging area and the sliding glass doors to the dorm overlooks to the West, where the sun sets over the Pacific Ocean every day, and is extraordinary. You'll wake up to the prettiest view you'd ever seen on your travels.

I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Get the standard dorms for the view, or get the hammock/couch just to throw your stuff in a locker a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cartagena, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The naked tiger is a one of a kind hostel- I've never in my entire traveling experience come across another place that can even compare. I heard about it when I was traveling in the northern part of Central America, everyone saying it was the sickest place in San Juan. The hostel sits on top of a huge hill with the most amazing view. If anyone's been to zephyr lodge in lanquin, Guate the view is comparable. It's super spacious with so many common areas both upstairs and downstairs to chill out, a hammock area, and a sweet little dining area to eat looking out at the view. The group I was traveling w ate every meal there just because it was so beautiful. The staff members are always prepared to party- bringing so much energy to the guests to get them pumped up...Sunday fundays are a MUST do! I rocked up to San Juan thinking I'd stay about a week and got so sucked into the ridiculous vortex of Tiger Town that I still didn't want to leave 8 weeks later. I got so close w the staff and the owners- they are by far the coolest and chilliest group of people I've ever met. Honestly- these bad reviews about them are written by stick up their a** people who complain about having sand everywhere after a day at the beach. People who complain about the cleanliness of a hostel make me laugh. I've stayed in actual DUMPS before and this place is the closest you'll get to the ritz Carlton while backpacking. Sorry to anyone If I've offended your Louis Vuitton backpack. San Juan is purely magical, and probably one of my most favorite spots of anywhere on the globe. Naked tiger has for sure stolen my heart and I'm not quite sure ill ever find another hostel quite like it! I can't wait til I find myself back there one day! Til then, keep up the dance parties, epic slip n slides, and beer funnel challenges. Hope to see ya soon ya crazy tigers :)

• Stayed October 2013
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

so I stayed here with two friends however left the next day due to the rudest staff. We checked in and were told by the owner to "wait a while, weve had a rough night...and today is a monday so deal". I was appalled at the state of the place itself. I know its a party place but the rooms and common areas were pretty nasty...especially the pool. Dont even wanna know what was floating around in there. The staff acted like a snobby club who only let the cool kids in when they felt like socializing. Oh and you can tell what the guy staff members wanted from the get go. I felt like a peice of meat. Anyways we enjoyed the rest of our time at casa de olas, a chill australian run place next door. Tip to the staff of naked tiger: lay off the coke, sniff sniff.

• Stayed June 2013
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

When needing to make a visa run from Costa Rica to Nicaragua, many people cross the border into Nicaragua and go to the city of San Juan Del Sur. While this is one of the many hostels in the town, it is a bit far from town. There is a shuttle every 2 hours that go to town. I enjoyed the Naked Tiger hostel because it has a pool and has an amazing view from the mountain top, and at the same time is not bothered with busy town noise. The beds were not bad, the only thing is there were cats all over my bed and I am allergic.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

The Naked Tiger is my favorite place on earth. I met the most incredible people and had the most fun of my life! It's absolutely beautiful and when you're lounging by the pool and taking in a legendary sunset, you don't feel like a broke backpacker at all. The food is affordable and delicious as well!! Sunday Funday is not to be missed. It will likely be the highlight of your trip.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Naked Tiger Hostel? Share your experiences!