“Impeccable !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Ariki

You added Casa Ariki to your Saves list
Casa Ariki
From the Municipal Market, 2.5 blocks South | Del Mercado Municipal, 2.5 cuadras al Sur, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
“Impeccable !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

My boyfriend and i came for the week end from costa rica to visit San Juan Del Sur. Casa Ariki is fantastic ! it's clean and nicely decorated. Sarah and Baldo are 2 perfect hosts, always ready to help and suggest things to do. Baldo is a great surf instructor with tones of patience ! Casa Ariki is well located in the center of everything ! We enjoyed very much our stay and will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

It was a real pleasure staying with Sarah and Baldo at Casa Ariki. I stayed for over a month and did not want to leave at the end.

They made me feel extremely welcome, and it was great to feel so comfortable so far from home. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the living room was warm and welcoming, and the night watchman was extremely kind and friendly.

As part of my trip I tried a number of other hotels in town, and this was by far the nicest, most comfortable and most welcoming. Sarah and Baldo really made my trip.

One word of warning: If you play scrabble with Baldo he will beat you mercilessly. I am told that Sarah is even better.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
CasaAriki_SJ, Owner at Casa Ariki, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Brandon, the pleasure was all ours! You should start honing your Scrabble skills for your next visit :) Thanks for the review, hopefully we will see you back here before long!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Stayed at Casa Ariki for a month and it very difficult to finally move on! Firstly, the place is immaculate. The house was cleaned daily - fresh towel and sheets whenever you needed. The owners Sarah and Baldo are very classy people. Sarah had answered any and every question I had for her whether it was transportation, restaurant or even of spanish translation nature. I think she moved to Nicaragua at age 10 from the States so she has a perfect combination of Nica demeanor with a States efficiency. Baldo is great too - highly respected surf instructor and coordinator of an rappelling tour. The maid is my favorite....after her work she would help me with my Spanish homework. The night guard always opened the gate for me. I felt extremely safe to the point where I could leave my door open and not be the least concerned.

I have been traveling on and off for the last 5 years - over 30 countries on 4 continents and I could even think of a cleaner, safer place in all those travels.

Almost forgot the amazing coffee in the morning that comes direct from Baldo's family farm.

There is an amazing yoga studio right around the corner and an amazing pizzeria as well - I'm originally from Brooklyn so I know my pizza. San Juan Del Sur is really small so everything is centrally located. I did like the fact that the house was just slightly away from the nightlife that could get loud and sloppy so there was never a noise issue whatsoever!

I look forward to returning when I can.

PS - Tell Shaka (their Australian Shepard dog I said hi!

Room Tip: I'd pay extra for air conditioning - SJDS can get really stagnant and muggy at times.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
CasaAriki_SJ, Owner at Casa Ariki, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thanks for your review, Howie! It was great to have you here and I have no doubt we will see you again in the future. Shaka and Luisa both say hello :)
colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

Great place! Clean, very close walk to everything and the a/c in the room was always the best to come back to! My bed was great too! I slept really well from a day of surfing and a night of partying! It was quiet and chill and had great music at Casa Akiri just what I wanted. Prices were very reasonable I thought. Sarah and Baldo we're amazing! And Shaka (the house dog ) is awesome!! I don't know if I ever opened the front gate myself they always opened it for you as you walked up. Now that's top notch service! Thanks guys I'll definitely be back!!!

• Stayed May 2012
CasaAriki_SJ, Owner at Casa Ariki, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Looking forward to having you back! Thanks for the great review!
Heredia, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I, with my now husband, have stayed here twice. Once in December 2011, and then again this April (2012).

We loved the location - so close to town but off the main roads, so it was quiet at night. It felt super safe to us. There is even a guy who works as a guard/doorman there. We loved sitting in the rocking chairs on the porch in the evenings. We loved that we were able to borrow a little space in the fridge for beer. We loved the laid-back, simple atmosphere. Loved that there was a/c in room. And we also loved our hosts, who were very helpful and friendly and nice to talk to. We also loved the dog, Shaka...he (she?) can be a little feisty and loud sometimes, barking at other dogs walking by, but he loves people and was good company on the porch.

A simple idea for improvement that I have for the hosts is this: investing in a good 8-12-cup coffee machine. The one they had was a 4 cup one and it wasn't really working the second time we stayed. I think guests would really appreciate it if there was always some hot coffee available when they wake up in the mornings (or at least we would have, hehe)

The price felt a little high for what you get, but it is comparable to other places in the area. San Juan del Sur is just more expensive than other parts of Nicaragua.

All and all, we liked it there and would return.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
CasaAriki_SJ, Owner at Casa Ariki, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Casey, as always it's great to have you both here! You'll be happy to know we now have a 12-cup coffee machine, so now you can have all the coffee you want in the mornings :) Hope to see you again soon!
Tyler, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights and had to move into another hotel because it didn't feel safe and I couldn't sleep in my room. Gusty wind blowing into the window was very loud and sounded horrible. The door made cracking sounds and tin roofs flopping in the wind kept me from sleep. Didn't have any rest. The room desperately needed some make up, too. Was very frustrated with the stay because of that. The owners were friendly though. Found another hotel and enjoyed the rest of my vacation at San Juan Del Sur.

Room Tip: do not stay at room #3, room #1 seemed cleaner and safer
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
CasaAriki_SJ, Owner at Casa Ariki, responded to this review, March 17, 2012
Hello, we are sorry that you had a hard time sleeping while at Casa Ariki. We are currently experiencing gusty winds in San Juan del Sur (it is windy season!), and I'm afraid there is nothing we can do about that! We have plans to give our rooms makeovers as soon as we are able, when the high season is over. Thank you for your review.
El Pescadero, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here at Casa Ariki - it is in a great location - close enough to town that you can walk to everything, but yet still quiet. Also the bed was very comfortable and the wifi is excellent! We stayed in the room with private bath and loved our stay. We would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: We chose the room with private bathroom and AC - it was great!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
CasaAriki_SJ, Owner at Casa Ariki, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
Hey guys, thanks for the great review! We really enjoyed having you here and hope to see you again - and next time, we promise to spend some time surfing with you :)

Been to Casa Ariki? Share your experiences!