“Exactly what I was looking for.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mama Sara House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mama Sara House
You added Mama Sara House to your Saves list
Calle Iglesia, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Marina del Rey, California
“Exactly what I was looking for.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The folks at the Corner House in Ometepe referred me here, and they were spot on. I felt welcomed immediately and enjoyed Mama Sara's perfect location, close to everything, yet quite tranquilo when I wanted to return for peaceful sleep. Mama Sara is affordable, safe, clean, and personable. I was able to practice my Spanish and whenever I passed through the door received a friendly greeting, and sometimes a tasty treat! No frills here, but a quaint balcony I often sat on and looked out on the street. Perfect for coming and going, and simple and charming for staying. Another 5 star success story for SJDS!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Altagracia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

A homestay disguised as a hostal. One of the cleanest places we stayed at in Nica. Mama Sara is a genuinely warm mother who takes excellent care of her home and guests. She also periodically prepares and shares delicious meals/drinks with the guests. She and her family will help guests navigate SJDS, facilitate connections for getting cheap food and water, and even let guests use the family's personal computer if the guest doesn't have one with which to access the free wi-fi.

The house is also right across the street from Casa Oro and several other surf shops, so there is easy access to beach shuttles. It might be nice to have more powerful fans in the rooms, as they do get a little stuffy. However, it was not disturbingly hot and we were always able to get a good night's sleep.

She and her husband will treat you like part of her family. If I find myself back in Nica, I will definitely return to Mama Sara's.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

While walking through the streets of San Juan del Sur looking for a place to sleep, and not wanting to take any of the sketchy looking men up on their offer for a cuarto privada.....a taxi driver named Goyo recommended Mama Sara House, he even led us to her doorstep! As soon as we walked in Mama Sara offered us each a glass of cold lemonade....mmmm it was perfect after our long day of travel. At $15 dollars a night for a private room I'd recommend this place to travellers who aren't looking for a wild party night....if you want to party but don't want to live in the party this is also a good place to sleep becaue the Casa Oro rooftop bar is just across the street!

Our first night there Mama Sara offered us rice pudding that she had made for everyone in the Hostel...it was delicious! She also introduced us to a national beverage called Chicha...it was good too! Mama Sara and her family welcome everyone into their home....they have character, they are fun, and while only Ramone, the son, speaks English, Mama Sara does not mind sitting with you and having a conversation....she helped me a great deal with my broken Spanish, which I am proud to report is not so broken any more!

I would recommend this establishment to anyone visiting San Juan del Sur.....it's not one of the "party" hostels, which is fine with me because that's not what I was looking for. It's an awesome cultural experience and I will always remember the kindness shown to me by the family. Muchas gracias Mama Sara y tu familia!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

They clean the place constantly and there were NO BUGS. The rooms and everything were clean. The bathroom was clean. Mama sara and her husband are very kind. When we arrived we were served frescos which was like lemonade. In the am we were served watermelon and a banana. The only con was the room was so stuffy we could't sleep well even though we had a fan. So we decided to only stay for one night. It was $20 night. It is also by the park.

Pros: Random free drink and fruits, clean, nice owners, comfy bed, no bugs
Cons: Stuffy

Room Tip: try to get a room that has good ventilation
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012 via mobile

Mama Sara house was perfect! Sara and her family are so welcoming and nice!! We stayed for 5nights!! She made us feel like home, and made us small local dishes! Jummy;) Will always remember her (and her little two babyparrots!) - always a big smile and a happy greet "HOOOLA CHIKAS!!!" mucho gracios!! See u soon! Hugs from two norwegian girls :)

• Stayed March 2012
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Like everyone else, Mama Sara found us on the street riding her bicycle and reeled us in with her charm! The rooms are comfortable and the whole place is very clean. Mama Sara and her husband are too kind - bringing us fruit, lemonade and typical Nica meals throughout the day - and always greeting us so warmly when we come & go.
The place is quaint and it was so nice to get to know the other people staying there, having a few drinks on the balcony and cooking dinners together. The location is great - just around the corner from Casa Oro so you can catch their shuttles to the beaches and look into their tours. It's also about a block from the beach.
Overall we had a fantastic experience at Mama Sara's and would recommend it to anyone looking for hospitality and comfort.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We have been travelling for the last 10 months through Europe & Central America - I have never felt more at home than what I have at Mama Sara House, a home away from home!

A good sized double bedroom with ceiling fan, sparkling clean shared bathroom facilities, a laundry area (we had such a fun time washing our clothes by hand, who would of thought!), a well stocked kitchen, a lounge & tv room (which we loved lounging around in!) and a balcony with rocking chairs that overlook the street. The place is kept immaculately clean and the family make you feel so very welcome, so friendly and always a smile!

PLUS, Mama Sara gave us a homemade treat each day of our stay, today we had banana chips, bbq'd lamb & salad with a refreshing lemon fresca!

Thank you Mama Sara ..... I think I might just stay one more day, eeeekk! x

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mama Sara House? Share your experiences!