“Stay here everytime I go to San Juan” 5 of 5 stars

You added Chale's House to your Saves list
Chale's House
Avenida del Mercado, 10 m south of the Market, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Stay here everytime I go to San Juan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I stay here everytime we go to San Juan. I love it. It's a little place, nothing spectacular in the appearance but very comfortable and clean. Every room that we have stayed in has a bathroom, including dorms. The beds are very comfortable, allowing for a great night's sleep. The staff are Nicas and very friendly, not sure if they speak english. The best part is the price. For what you get it is a great value. The location is not a bad one either, just a few blocks from the beach and good eating spots. I've never tried to use the kitchen so I can't say if it is public or not. Anyway, this is a small cozy place with lots of charm, and like I said, very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

This homestead/hostel is very nice and clean. They have a nice set up with 6 rooms on second level and (I think) 2 on the bottom level. Our room had a shower and great ventilation. Carlos and Jessica are terrific cooks and there are several nice sitting areas around the house. The location is perfect - right in the center of town and there's a market and pharmacy next door. I highly, highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2012
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stayed at Chale's House for four days while on a voluntourism trip. It is ideally located--close enough to everything to be within one or two blocks' walking distance from restaurants, bars, the library, market, beach, etc, and far enough away to have a peaceful night's sleep. Carlos and Jessica, the owners of Chale's House, were extremely hospitable. As a component of our trip, Chale's House was considered our homestay with a local Nica family, and we ate many of our meals with Carlos, Jessica, and their family. Over delicious, home-cooked meals, we talked about life in Nicaragua, things to do and see, the progress of our service project, what life is like back home in the States, and so on. The rooms we stayed in each had their own private bathroom with a shower. I stayed in a room with a large bunk bed with a full sized bed on the bottom and a twin on the top. There was wi-fi throughout the hostel. Laundry service is available and the clothes I had cleaned were returned to me within the day. Both the rooms and the public spaces were clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay at Chale's House on a return trip to San Juan del Sur.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed at Chale House for five days, four nights with a friend. We are not necessarily experienced hostel ppl... we both loved this place! The family that runs the house are extremely kind and welcoming. The rooms are very clean, quite cool with the double fans, and very secure. The shared space is also clean and has lots of comfortable seating space. Location is quite convenient to most things in this great little town! I would highly recommend staying at chale house. And they do have wifi which is really just an added bonus to this great find!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed at Chales House for 5 days and it was everything i wanted. Clean private rooms with a private bathroom for only $10?! that's unheard of. For the price i wasnt expecting much but i was surprised at how nice this place is. The Nica family that runs it is so nice and friendly as well. They have a central location which is perfect if you plan to stay in town SJDS. Also they have free wi-fi! i've stayed in hostel's around the world that were $35 + and not near as nice as this place.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011 via mobile

We were recommended to stay at Chale's by the non-profit in town called Communidad Connect. We were staying at hotel near the church. What we really like about this place is it is run by a wonderful Nica family who are both friendly, helpful and professional. The rooms are very clean, good airflow w 1-2 fans in each room, colorfully decorated, very secure, ensuite bathroom, patio, and wifi.

We stayed at Chale's for two weeks, and found it to be a comfortable home base. Given that it's small (6 rooms), and the family is very accomodating (keys to side entrance in case you Return late, laundry and water) and care about your experience w them. We would recommend them to any small group, couple, or small family looking for privacy, comfortable rooms w bath, shelving in closets, and don't want to spend a lot of money.

Note that Saturday nights can be very loud in the neighborhood but the rest of the week it's quiet.

• Stayed August 2011
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

I stumbled on this place while I was staying at another hostel in the town.

I asked if there was space and got the last room. At the hostel I'd paid $9 a night for a 7man dorm that was horrible...for $10 in Casa Chale s I got my own room with a double bed and ensuite bathroom. Best of all it was clean, well maintained and quiet.

Lovely people and lovely place. I wish there were more places to stay like Casa Chale s!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo

Been to Chale's House? Share your experiences!