“Decent hotel with great views almost right on the beach.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Marina Condominium Hotel on the Beach

and 1 more site!
You added Casa Marina Condominium Hotel on the Beach to your Saves list
Casa Marina Condominium Hotel on the Beach
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Contiguo al Banco BDF | Apartado Postal 17, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Merritt, Canada
“Decent hotel with great views almost right on the beach.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel was pretty nice. It wasn't 5 stars or anything, but we had a suite with two rooms each with two double beds, a kitchen area and a nice balcony. The staff were reasonably helpful but the location was the best part.

Room Tip: I'm not sure about if all the rooms have oceanview balconies but definitely get one if you can...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Clinton, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a week and had a great time. The good: It is centrally located in town which makes for an easy walk to restaurants, bars and shops. The staff was always cheerful and helpful. At dusk, a friendly security gaurd is always stationed at the front gate. Our room was clean and had a great view of the bay and the nightlife
The bad: The rooms include an ajoining bedroom that can also be rented out unless you pay for both bedrooms. This ajoining room has a door to the hallway and also a door to the main room and the ajoining door cannot be locked from the main room. I read a review last year that said a man walked in to a couple's room from the ajoining room. When we checked in, we requested that the ajoining room not be rented out. We were there during the off season (August) so this was not a problem. The hotel offers a free breakfast. We tried it once. It was basically beans and rice with eggs and a side of toast and sand mites.

There are some Americans who live there permanantly. They are very friendly and don't mind giving touring advice if asked. There is a little shop in the lobby that offers home-made chocolates and other treats as well as a message. It is run by an American couple who sailed to the area five or so years ago and never left. They were happy to lend me a wall charger for my GPS. All I had was a 12 volt charger and our rental car didn't have a 12 volt plug.

Overall, I would recommend staying at this hotel, the price is very affordable and the staff are very helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Went on a solo trip to San Juan, since I live in Rivas so I didn't reserve a hotel, instead I decided to go there and pick one randomly. The Hotel is near the BDF bank, from the first look I thought it was an ordinary hotel, but decided to go in anyway. I asked the counter how much for one night, she said it was $75 and asked if I wanted to check the room first. My room was on the 4rth floor, the room had a bedroom with AC, bathroom and a living-room with chairs, kitchen and fridge. The price was ok so I decided to stay. The Room had a great view of the beach and the AC was nice. At first they told me they don't have breakfast but later provided it. The staffs were helpful and give directions and prices I asked for. Nice stay.

Room Tip: The bedrooms are near the windows, at night there are some light from the outside and is a little ha...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We were the only guests in the motel. The other rooms were used by the 3 different owners. The first thing we noticed was that all the towels and beddings looked like they were from goodwill. The view from our room was mostly of the bar across the street, and a little of the beach. The smelly air conditioner barely worked. The first day there was no breakfast. The second day we decided to wait in the lobby for someone to make us a breakfast as advertised. Sorry we did, scrambled eggs dripping with butter, some cut up mellon, and coffee. For this I payed $130 a night. A little too much I think. Maybe $60 would be more like it. I made a video to help give you a feel for the city if you would like to watch. http://youtu.be/UUHlwIcaqRw

Room Tip: The 3rd floor or above so that your view isn't the roof of the bar across the street.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We just finished staying at the Casa Marina for 3 nights and were extremely happy with our stay until the very end (more below). There are many suitable spots off the beach for much cheaper, and some nice spots near the beaches to north or south of town, but we are glad we stayed in town and traveled to the beaches. I was all set to give 5 stars for my review...

We stayed on the 4th floor - which provided an amazing view of the town and the sunsets over the bay. I didn't seen any other place with comparable view rooms. The suite apartment was spacious, and even though we didn't use the kitchen much (just the refrigerator), it was a luxury to have so much space. Free breakfast every morning was eggs, beans and rice, toast and coffee, which was a great way to start the day, as we headed out to the beaches to burn off calories! The honor bar for beer, soda and water was very convenient too.

So, the only problem: We stayed in a unit that had 2 bedrooms - one bedroom has a separate entrance to the public hallway. Unfortunately, this bedroom also has easy access to our unit -- without a key! This bedroom was rented to someone else on our last night (who wasn't quite right in the head), without any notification to us! In the morning, we heard someone in our hallway, which is NOT ACCEPTABLE and very dangerous! When I did my best to communicate to the woman at the desk, her reponse was "He shouldn't do that, I will talk with him." -- which is NOT the point!

My wife wanted me to give the place only 1 star and get our money back for the last night. I'll let you decide where that gives this review. I don't know how many similar units there are (which would have been great if we traveled with another couple/guest) so just keep it in mind.

Best tip: Katie in the spa in the lobby gives the best deep tissue massage ever! The price was half what we pay in Washington DC and we both loved it! Picked up some soaps, chocolates and other goodies there as gifts.

Room Tip: If you have a double suite, make it clear that the other bedroom is NOT AVAILABLE FOR RENT. DEFINIT...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Penticton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

We just finished staying at the Casa Marina for 5 nights and were happy with our stay. The view is unparalleled, and the service was friendly and helpful (although the staff speak very minimal english). Free breakfast every morning was eggs, beans and rice, toast and coffee, which was a great way to start the day. Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the stunning pacific ocean. We spent a couple of nights on our balcony just watching the sun go down. The rooms were clean, however if you want room service or clean towels you have to ask. Our shower got luke warm at best and this was a nice change from the 30 degree celsius weather SJDS experienced at the time. You can walk anywhere in town in 5-10 minutes, and there are numerous shuttles/taxis that will take you to the nearby beaches. The best food in town that we found was at Bambu which is at the north end of town on the beach.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

We were very undecided as to where to stay during our unplanned trip to San Juan del Sur in December. We were driving around to different places and came across the Casa Marina Hotel right on the beach in town. We walked in and were greeted by a very nice woman who was more than happy to show us around the entire hotel. She even let us see the rooms before we agreed to stay. Needless to say, we ended up staying two nights and had a wonderful time. We even got a front row seat to the parade for the Purisima on the street below. The best features of the hotel were the free breakfast every morning (delicious), the kitchenette in the room, and the oceanfront balcony complete with rocking chairs (breathtaking sunsets!). We met the owner of the hotel and I told him that I worked for AAA, and that I would be definitely recommending his hotel to my family and friends.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Marina Condominium Hotel on the Beach? Share your experiences!