“The best adventure on my trip to Nicaragua!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Adventure
More attraction details
Owner description: Rancho Chilamate offers guided horseback rides for adventurous travelers looking to get up close and personal with Nicaragua. The ride leaves from the ranch through the local community, into open fields and over hilltops for spectacular views, crossing the river several times for excellent wildlife viewing (almost guaranteed to see monkeys) and then to the secluded beach for a refreshment break and more riding adrenalin.This solar-powered private ranch caters to smaller, more intimate groups to ensure only the best of service. Let's Ride!
Carrboro, North Carolina
“The best adventure on my trip to Nicaragua!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I still smile every time I think of my Rancho Chilamate adventure. I was nervous when the ride began, as I had only been on a horse for a few plodding rides during my childhood, but Jamie and Blue were attentive and kind and reassuring, and my horse Uncle Morty was fabulous. By the time we reached the beach I felt relaxed and confident, and Morty and I ran on the sand and frolicked in the water. I couldn't believe it!

As an added bonus, Blue takes absolutely gorgeous photos of everyone on the ride. You can see one of mine as my tripadvisor profile pic!

I just can't wait to go back and do this again someday. Don't miss this extraordinary experience!

Visited April 2013

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Highlight of our Central America Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Thanks so much to Blue and Jamie for such an incredible experience. It was truly the best way to end our trip in Central America and the highlight of the trip. From the moment we were picked up by Blue we were made to feel completely welcome. We were taken into their beautiful home and offered a drink before we got to choose our own cowboy boots and hat (some of which we loved so much we wanted to take them home!!). They then had already matched each of us up with one of their gorgeous horses. Having owned horses and ridden for a long time myself, I can say without a doubt that these horses are shown exemplary care and are incredibly happy and healthy. They gave me Tequila who was so much fun to ride. It was such a lovely surprise to be given such a responsive horse - generally a rarity when you go on a trail ride. The beach that we rode to was spectacular. On the beach we were able to have a fantastic time and really pick up the pace on our own. Afterwards we travelled back through the neighbouring local villages and learnt about their way of life. We arrived back at the ranch and sat and enjoyed refreshments whilst looking out at the view from their courtyard. Jamie and Blue are the warmest most genuine people and it was a joy to spend a few hours in their company. If you are in San Juan Del Sur a ride with these two fabulous people is a MUST. My best friend was very inexperienced and had an absolute ball, surprising herself at her growing confidence. Its something that riders of any skill level will LOVE!!!!

Visited May 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Great time, great ride, great people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I had the best ride of my life - beautiful place to ride, great people to ride with no matter what your level of experience. Rancho Chilamate also supports local people so they are well known in the community and well liked. This is a fun ride and you will enjoy the scenery and the people. Great for couples (2 newlywed groups on the day I rode).

Visited July 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My son and I went out with Jamie and Blue and it was incredible. From the time you meet them you are made to feel like family even before you see the horses and they go out of their way to create a fantastic experience for you. They are very amazing people, entertaining and knowledgeable. You not only have the best ride of your life but you also learn a lot about the area. The horses are very well cared for and the scenery is beautiful. Jamie is a seasoned horseman and Blue is the warmest, kindest person you would ever want to meet. I can think of no better way to experience the country side of Nicaragua. This is a must do when in San Juan del Sur and if you don't do it you truly have missed one of the most incredible experiences of the region.

Visited May 2013
London, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“Highlight of the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We went riding with Blue and Jamie on our last day travelling around Central America. I am not exaggerating when I say it was one of our greatest experiences. They were friendly, engaging, interesting and welcomed us into their home - and this was even before we got to any horses.
Before the day you send off your details so they can match you to your perfect horse. They take you through the local countryside, through villages to a secluded beach where you are free to canter to your hearts desire.
I can't recommend this enough. Even if you've never riden before, just go for it. You won't regret it.

Visited June 2013