“The most fun you'll ever have at a hostel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Pachamama

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hostel Pachamama
Calle Principal | 2 Blocks North of El Gato Negro, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Hanover, New Hampshire
“The most fun you'll ever have at a hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I had a blast at Pachamama. The staff are extremely friendly, helpful, and attentive, and really go the extra mile in terms of making you feel at home. Of course, it's more of a "party" hostel, so it's the perfect spot to celebrate with fellow travelers from all over town and there's never a boring evening-which is why I ended up staying much longer than I had originally expected. I absolutely did not want to leave.

In terms of specifics, the location is close to anything you'll need in town. They have a very convenient "tab" system that enables you to buy (reasonably priced) drinks without running to the ATM every 5 minutes (which came in handy on more than one occasion), they have a dedicated daily cleaning staff that keeps all of the rooms in tip top shape (I LOVED that their toilets and showers never let me down), and they've even got free pancakes in the morning. That's all well and good, but my real reasons for recommending this place so highly are the fantastic parties/events, the worry free experience they offer, and the great friendships you make-all important to a solo traveler such as myself.

Bottom Line: If you're in San Juan Del Sur, then you need to be staying at Hostel Pachamama.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Antigua, Guatemala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

We enquired about staying at the hostel the following night (we had pre booked a place) to which staff told us to come back the next day (Friday) at lunchtime and they will be able to book us space. Friday morning we arrive and enquire about accom to which one of the manager replies we are fully booked, it's Friday so we fill up of course for Sunday Funday. Not a good start! We were really disappointed but ended up finding a private room for the same price on the beach. Anyway we booked into Sunday Funday and it all started well until the organizers/managers got into a fight with two of the party goers. I'm not exactly sure what happened to cause the fight but the general consensus was the managers were just trying to assert their "authority" or show off. One of them even threatened to punch a girl who was trying to explain that the guys did not do anything wrong. The manager kept saying things like "do you know who I am? " and "I own this place". Not impressed and left a really bad taste because the hostel itself and the pool crawl seem to have real potential. There are plenty of other places to stay with much nicer staff...

Stayed December 2013
Banff, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

When I checked in to the hostel, they did not tell me anything. Apparently they have free breakfast, coffee and water, but I did not know this until I left. None of the workers there were very friendly, or made an effort to say much at all to you. It seems like it is run by a bunch of teenagers trying to figure out how to run a business. Luckily for them they get people because it is a "party place", but even that was lacking while I was there. Maybe I caught them on a bad week. The owners give Canadians a bad name.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for a four bedroom until you know which one. Bedroom one has an open "window...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Chalons-en-Champagne, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I'm undecided whether to give this hostel 3 or 4 stars because I feel it has both excellent and poor qualities. Firstly, I found the staff here to be a mixed bunch. Some were very friendly & helpful and others weren't. My friend and I enquired about rooms and we found the answer when there was no availability to be somewhat abrupt. I had also told them that I'd sent an email and hadn't received a reply to which the man who worked there replied "we don't take reservations which is why you didn't receive a reply". In the end, I returned to Pachamama a day later (without my friend who decided he didn't want to stay there) as I wanted to stay in a party hostel and all they had was the 12 man jungle room! The room was crowded, wasn't overly clean and was very very noisy at night.

Whilst their evening entertainment is fun, I was disappointed by the lack of warning that paints would be thrown one evening. As a result. my shoes, shorts and polo shirt are now covered in pink splots of paint which will be difficult, if at all possible to remove. I was also surprised by the fact that whilst they say breakfast is included, you have to make it yourself.

On the plus side, their bar/lobby area is funky and unique. They also provide services, making it easier to book tours, take shuttles etc.

Overall, I'm not sure I made the right choice staying here but I would definitely recommend this hostel if you want to party, get drunk and don't really care about noise. I wouldn't recommend it if you are a shy and retiring type!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

When we first cane in to see if they have available room, the place looks cool..
Nice bar and a pool, and it seems to be a clean place.

And then we started talking to the guy about availability..
He looked at us as if he was doing us a favor for even talking to us!!!!
And then another guy came to check a room for us and he was even worst!!!
These guys are absolutely not nice!!!!

Lucky for us they were full at that time.

Even tho it looks like a cool place, the people are snobs like sh1t....

• Stayed August 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Pachamama is riddled with corruption. We entered a beer pong tournament late one Thursday evening, paid our fee, and played our hearts out. The owner who lost in the first round, decided he could come back and play us in round three, knocking us out of the tournament. I can handle dirty rooms, I can deal with bugs, but I will not stand by as this hostel disgraces the very ethics of beer pong. If this debauchery occurred in any other country there would have been blood spilled in the streets. Anyone looking for a night should stay somewhere else. Plenty of people out there who are real straight shooters, and at least show some respect for the game.

• Stayed July 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? I used to stay in another hostel in town, and when I went to Pacha one night for some beers I instantly wanted to move hostels. So i did, and ended up staying way longer than planned. The hostel is cool and funky, has a great choice of rooms (you can stay in an ensuite 4 bed dorm for $10 or you can opt for a cheaper bigger dorm), a massive kitchen for guests to use, great parties, friendly staff, a morning smoothie bar, beach shuttles and a massive selection of surfboards for hire. Plus their singlets and caps are awesome! And I forgot to mention the free pancake breakfast... All in all it is hands down the place to be in San Juan and one of my favourite hostels worldwide. Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Hostel Pachamama? Share your experiences!