“This hotel is terrible.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Hostel Esperanza to your Saves list
Hostel Esperanza
Del BDF 1/2 c. al Sur | Frente al Malecón, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Toronto, Canada
“This hotel is terrible.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Esperanza for two nights this month and it is a TERRIBLE hotel. I haven't stayed in a hotel this bad in a long time and I am absolutely disgusted. I am not a picky traveler and I don't need much to be happy but this place is definitely dingy and the dumps. I will never stay there again and you shouldn't either.

The room smelt like mold and although there was no visible trash on the floor, it looked and felt dirty. The sheets were grey in color and old. I am also sure that the bed was infested with bed bugs. I am not one to call out a hotel for this unless I am 100% sure. It is a serious accusation but in this case, I am positive that our bed was infested. After 2 nights, I had over 40 bites all over my body, in the clusters and patterns that are very typical of bed bugs. There were also streaks of blood on the pillows and sheets which I wished I had noticed on our first night there. Upon leaving, just to confirm my suspicions, I lifted up the mattress to see if there were the typical bed bug marks on the wooden bed frame and of course, they were there. Disgusting.

The shared bathrooms are also small, offer no privacy and are full of mosquitoes. If there was dengue in town, this would be a recipe for disaster.

The only good thing about the hotel was the staff. They were all very nice and helpful. Who cares about this tho when everything else was horrible.

Beware!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
OurPointofView, Owner at Hostel Esperanza, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Hi Sara, the point is, why did you never comunicate you were having a bad experience to the staff, we could have done something to improve your stay with us. Instead, you go to a social net and write a really bad comment. If it was that bad, why did you stay 2 nights? Thanks for you help, we´re working hard to improve our service every day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed a few nights at Hostel Esperanza, it was a solid hostel in the midst of being revamped by new owners. $20 for a double room with shared washroom is a reasonable price (the room was a little old feeling, lumpy broken tile floor, etc), it is right across from the beach, so a good location. The family that runs it is very lovely, and the free breakfast is nice as well. The place seems to attract a lot of young people drinking and doing drugs (some of whom seemed to be virtually living there in the dorm rooms) and partying, and the bathroom area could be better, but the place has great potential and the people running it are very nice. I wish the new owners the best with their work in re-developing the hostel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks Ryan, hope to see ya again very soon....
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I think all the positive reviews for this place are by their friends.... I booked a room over the web with a $26.00 deposit.. Got there and the room was NASTY to say the least.. room had been cleaned yet someones used razor was in the shower... the sheets were grey on the bed.. so think when someone leaves the just make the bed for the next person arriving... I would rather sleep on the beach..sure I would get less bites ...Went around the corner and found a cheaper spotless place for less money... Went back to get my deposit and as you guessed NOPE no refund... DO NOT book this place online and make a deposit... unless you like to kiss money goodbye... I am not a fussy traveler and have stayed in some places that sure could use sprucing up... but they are at least CLEAN...

Room Tip: No good rooms... go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here for about 4 days. It is right across from the beach & near downtown. It is run by some very nice people & they have an adorable little girl. They also have an awesome guard dog who is really sweet. But I must say the best part of this hostel was the complete breakfast they serve. Rice, beans, eggs, fuit & toast. No other hostel served more than toast the month & 1/2 I traveled. It's a nice touch.

• Stayed February 2013
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I chose this place because the location is great (across the road from the ocean) and its reasonably priced ( double room with shared bathroom $20) service was ok but their communication could have Been better. Make sure you request breakfast and are clear when booking activities or transfers etc. popular with the younger backpacker market but noise level at night was acceptable.

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Nice owners, happy friendly staff, tasty nica breakfast, coffee and water (including the price). Basic but neat rooms. Lovely garden and patio, big kitchen. And last but not least, in front of the beach and walking distance exploring... Me and my friend enjoyed our stay!!!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

pros: right across from beach and a little far from down town enough that you can get some sleep.
Con; toilet kept on breaking, not as clean as I'd hope. everything was very dated, and they didn't have towels!

Drove me crazy, we waited all day for towels and they still didn't get them washed and air dried, for 12 hrs! Although not their fault, the day after SJDS had a power out tage and the entire town was basically dead. Some hotels has generators, hostel esperanza did not. We paid $30 for a private room and I think that's a little to much.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
OurPointofView, Gerente at Hostel Esperanza, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Sorry for the towels you´re right we had problems with this during those days. We don´t have plant yet, we are new owners and we´re improving the palce step by step. About the price, your were three people in three beds private room, that means10$ per person with a very good breakfast inlcuded. I don´t think is too much. Thanks though for your comments, they help us to know were we have to keep impoving. Cheers!

Been to Hostel Esperanza? Share your experiences!