“Great School, Great Teachers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Latin American Spanish School

Latin American Spanish School
Avenida Real | North side of Central park, San Juan del Sur, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
505 - 25682158
Website
Improve this listing
Type: Educational Sites, Classes
More attraction details
Owner description: Latin American Spanish School is a non profit company, the owners are teachers from San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua with more than 13 years of teaching Spanish like second language. We offer many different courses for all levels, beginner to advanced, and special courses for professionals, travelers, investors, children and more. Come and learn Spanish living like a Nicaraguan people in a nica-families, knowing and living our culture affected for many years for the U.S.A policy!
Bend, Oregon
“Great School, Great Teachers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Latin American Spanish School was recommended to me by a friend who currently works for a non-profit in Nicaragua, and who was a student at the school a few years back.
I just spent about five weeks at the school and can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone interested in studying spanish at a great school in a beautiful, laid-back town. The teachers are experienced professionals with deep roots in the community, the school is well-organized and the lesson plans are well-thought out. My teacher, Lucia Garcia, is a fantastic instructor. She has been teaching at the school for a number of years and has the techniques for drawing language out of a student down-pat.
I was looking for a place where I could settle in and just study spanish, and for my needs the Latin American Spanish School was a perfect fit. I wanted a rigorous program with a fair amount of homework, which is what I got, but they will tailor the learning to the student, and there were folks there who seemed to be on a more laid-back program, as well as more advanced students who would just drop in for an hour or two a day.
The town of San Juan Del Sur is small enough that you can walk anywhere in town in a few minutes but it still has most of the big-city amenities, such as banks, a couple of gyms, a small supermarket etc. Despite the fact that it is probably the most popular beach/party town in Nicaragua, it is surprisingly mellow and had, for me, a safe, clean vibe.
I did not do a homestay, although speaking to the students who did, they seemed to value the experience highly. I chose instead to stay at a super-pleasant and almost unbelievably inexpensive hotel owned by a Nica family, which is called Chale’s House, and is only about a half a block from the school.
After spending about two months in Nicaragua, and talking to others currently living and working there who have studied spanish at the Latin American Spanish School, I can say that it has an excellent reputation, is highly respected, and above all, is a welcoming and friendly place to learn.

Visited December 2012

Marina del Rey, California
“Mas tiempo con Latin American Spanish School, por favor!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

I lucked upon this school the first time around, just walking by. But the second time I came in because another school I tried in another town was no comparison. So I came back to SJDS, LASS, and to an amazing teacher, Mariel. The school setting is a proper classroom where it is easy to concentrate and you're surrounded by learning/teaching materials. I enjoyed the time I spent with Mariel and was absolutely impressed with her teaching technique. The other students I saw come and go seemed equally happy with their experience. I feel confident this is the top of the line in Spanish schools and hope I am lucky enough to come back and study some more there. If you're looking for a Spanish school, look no further!

Visited December 2012
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Excellent Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I just spent 4 weeks studying here and it was fantastic! This was my first experience studying Spanish abroad and it could not have gone any better. I chose the home stay option and the family the school set me up with were great. The food was excellent. The one on one classes were the best option for me. I researched other places to study and this seemed to be the best place for the price AND quality of education. The teachers really care and make it fun to learn. If any one has questions about L.A.S.S., feel free to contact me. Walter

Visited November 2012
Rio del Mar, California
“Comfortable Classroom-Great Teachers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Classroom setting very comfortable with views of central park from the balcony. Teachers professional and willing to help with any questions you may have whether or not they related to learning Spanish.
My home-stay was near the school with a private room and bathroom. Family was wonderful and willing to help in any way possible. Meals are typical cuisine, if you are a picky eater you will need to make requests.

Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly Spanish classes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This school was great, really reasonable price for one on one Spanish, they were really flexible with when I could take my classes and I learnt so much. My teacher Lucia was amazing, made me work hard but had fun whilst doing it, I only wish I was staying long in San juan so I could take more classes!

Visited November 2012