“Real value for your money. Spacious and fresh Studio” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Irish House
From the Market, 2 Blocks to the North, San Juan del Sur SJDS, Nicaragua   |
Nicaragua
“Real value for your money. Spacious and fresh Studio”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We only stayed two nights in San Juan and didn't research hotels beforehand. We found the beachfront hotels far to expensive ($80 and up) so we went on looking for rooms at the second street. We found prices a lot more affordable but found nothing special until we came across the Irish house. We liked it at once. Spacious, a kitchenette, and a balcony. The owner was very friendly and the place looks rather safe. At two minutes from the beach the location is great and next time we go to San Juan we will not look for another place but go directly to the Irish House.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

22 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

We were down in SJDS for a month. The Irish House was a routine stop for us to get a pint and have a chat. It's the only place in town to get Guinness (if you are so inclined). We met Roberto, the owner, our first week in town. He is extremely hospital and is a great resource for getting to know SJDS. He really goes out of his way to help you out. I highly recommend the Irish House.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tyler, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I just came back from San Juan Del Sur. Stayed at the Irish House for last 4 nights and wish that I stayed there from the beginning of my vacation. There was consistent gusty wind in that town during my whole stay, and at the previous place I didn't feel safe from it, not mentioning that it was so loud and sounded creepy at night (because of tin roofs and thin walls). I spent 2 sleepless nights over there and decided that was enough. Then I met a woman who recommended this place she stayed at, the Irish House, which is in a sturdy building, and even though the wind gets loud sometimes, it feels very safe to be inside. Just use your ear plugs if it keeps you from sleep. It is 2 minutes away from the beach, and even though it's in the middle of everything, the noise didn't bother me at all. The owner of the House Roberto is a very nice man, and the rooms are kept very clean and neat. There is also a kitchen where you can make yourself some coffee and breakfast if you wish. I really enjoyed my short stay there and have only good things to say about the owner of the hotel. I will absolutely recommend this place if you are looking for something not expensive but safe!

Room Tip: all rooms are adequate, on the second floor there is a balkony and many windows
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

The Irish House is located about four blocks from the beach. It sits on a corner of two very busy streets and just where the touristy part of town starts.
I chose this B&B because of the positive reviews I have read on this site. Unfortunately, I have to say it was a disappointment for me. I expected more as this is a B&B and not a hostel and because of the higher price.
The rooms are just OK. They are quite cold, “sanitary” and lifeless. My room was big enough for one person. It was clean and it had a fan and a private bathroom. The bed was good as well but the linen was just awful. It was very old. In no time at all, the lint from the linen was all over my clothes and bags. It was just everywhere. The towels were old as well and smell like old wet rag after one use.
The building is located on a corner of two busy streets with loud traffic and drunken people congregating until very late hours. Early in the morning the traffic started again. It was hard to get any sleep.
Security in this place was very poor. After I checked in and settled in my room, I went to buy some groceries. Walking out of the building, I found the bar on the main floor locked and side door into the building open. There was nobody around and I assumed I was the only guest as it is a small place and I have not seen or heard anybody else. There was no way for me to lock the door so I tried to find somebody…. There was nobody around. When I came back there was still nobody around and the side door just like I left it, closed but not locked. Anybody can just walk into the building into the hallway and kick-in the flimsy doors into the rooms with very little problem. It is interesting that the bar was carefully locked up from both sides…. After one night of no or very little sleep I checked out. I found much better value elsewhere.
There was a good internet and the staff wasn’t bad. I ended up staying in San Juan for four day in a different hostel. Anytime I walked by Irish House, the bar was empty and the building looked deserted.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
irish_house2013, Propietario at Irish House, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
apologies for the quality of the hotel at the time and thank you for your criticism so I can correct, unfortunately the person in charge did not give the best service.
New York City, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

It's tough rating Irish House. A five star experience? Hardly. But would I stay there again? Absolutely.

I had never been to San Juan del Sur (much less Nicaragua) and did more research than I care to admit to find lodging that was clean, safe, and inexpensive. Irish House was clearly the best option and met all of my expectations. Bob was wonderful to deal with and patient with all of our requests. I visited a few more hotels when I was in town and nothing was as welcoming, certainly not for the price.

Two things to keep in mind though. One, San Juan del Sur is easily the loudest place I've ever been! Dogs, firecrackers, construction, buses, blaring music -- we heard it all. There isn't any property immune to this and the convenience of being in town is well worth it. Just be sure to bring earplugs.

Second, there is no hot water. It isn't as bad as you think because 'cold' is actually lukewarm thanks to the sunny weather. Still, we felt a bit cheated until we found out that our friends in the high-priced hotel down the road also didn't have any.

When it comes down to it, cleanliness and safety are what matters most, and Irish House is a winner.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Salida, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

Another great review for The Irish House! The owner Roberto was super helpful and welcoming. The room had many windows and great light with a nice little balcony. Beds were comfortable and the place was very clean. It's right in town so there was a little noise from buses and such. It was a wonderful place to stay

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

Roberto and his family were welcoming and we stopped in a couple times to share stories and have a few Guiness while were in town. We met a couple staying there and there were happy with the location and rooms. Roberto would have been more than happy to show us the rooms although they were all full when we stopped by.

Neat little Irish Pub in Nicaragua!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Irish House? Share your experiences!