“Chicabrava was all I imagined and then some” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CHICABRAVA Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
CHICABRAVA Surf Camp
You added CHICABRAVA Surf Camp to your Saves list
Cloud Farm and Surf House locations, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Charleston, SC
“Chicabrava was all I imagined and then some”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I went to Chicabrava with my really good friend and we had a such a great time. We both love traveling and we went around to the surrounding cities before and after the surf week. That really added to the trip. Granada is beautiful. It is a great surf trip but it is also just a great experience.

We were put with 4 other women from all over the country and everyone got along really well. Everyone was interesting and adventurous (I guess you have to be to do this). All the women were at different surfing levels and the instructors were able to accommodate and challenge everyone.

The cloud farm, where you sleep and eat, is out of this world, the house that you stay at is beautiful. The staff at the house is really nice and helpful. I know that the vegetarians did have a sort of monotonous meals, Nicaraguans don't know many recipes without meat. But I think that if you tell Chicabrava ahead of time they will probably be able to figure something out.

Missy and Maite are the instructors that taught us and in addition to being amazing surfers they are spirited and encouraging teachers. Surfing is not easy!

Oh my I could just go on and on about what a great time I had. The nightlife was so fun. Ashley, the owner, is down to earth and really found a niche in the market. I wasn't able to find another camp that was only available to girls. That was great for me.

I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for an experience, interested in seeing the Nicaraguan culture, and is willing to let it go and ride the waves.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

My friend and I planned this trip at the last minute and couldn't have been happier with the experience. All of the staff working at Chica Brava were very accommodating and worked very well with each other and the clients participating on our trip. Our group was all relatively new to surfing and the instructors worked very well with our different skills and learning styles to make it a positive experience for us all. Our group stayed up on the Cloud Farm, which was absolutely beautiful and peaceful. Following our adventures in the waves at the start of the day, we returned to the farm to great food, relaxation, and the possibility of yoga, massage, hiking around, or just relaxing by the pool. This was definitely a great and unique trip that I would (and have) recommended to others!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Carlsbad, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

My visit to Chica Brava Surf Camp in May 2009 was GREAT! Our group of 7 were mixed of girls and guys and all long time friends. We stayed on the farm which served us fresh organic meals daily, had our own pool, security, nice rooms with a fabulous view, and plenty of land to roam around on. Ever day we headed out to different surf spots which were well organized and arranged the night ahead. All of us were experienced surfers and travellers, so we got to really explore around. Ashley was awesome and has great local knowledge! Some nights we would go out on the town to shop or go to bars. The staff made sure we had everything we needed. This trip was easy and hassle free. Very relaxing with lots of surf time. I would easily recommend this for anyone going solo or as a group and would love to return one day.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

My friend and I traveled to spend a week with the girls at ChicaBrava surf camp in May. It was an incredible experience. Although I had surfed a little before, I felt my confidence increase with each day at the camp. The instructors - Melissa, Maite, Jessica and Ashley are amazing, inspiring women who quickly became friends - there is such a spirit of respect and support at this place. They seemed really happy to share their knowledge and love of surf with us!
The house we stayed at was gorgeous, with an infinity pool that overlooked the ocean. It was a few miles from town up a hill, so it was pleasantly cool at the camp. Make no mistake, you are in the jungle, so you could hear monkeys, frogs and there were visits by the occasional creature, but for us, that only added to the experience.
Juan was our chef and the food was organic and completely amazing!!! We looked forward to each of his meals with delight - I can still remember us guessing what he was cooking based on the scents coming from the kitchen.
It was such a great expereince - the surfing, the bonding, the food, yoga and massage - not to mention daily visits to Eskimo ice cream store - I highly recommend this camp to anyone who believes they are or might be a ChicaBrava!!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Farmerville, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

With out many reviews I had my questions about this camp. The "farm" was nice and the food was good. The surf house was good spot for nightlife but needs a lot attention that the owner is oblivious to. Our surf instructor (Missy) was very good. I had fun, but I have been on other adventure tours and to sports camp that have been run much smoother than this. I was also bothered by the poor way the the owner treated the staff and the others around her. All the little things overwhelmed what could be a great thing.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
ChicaBrava, Owner at CHICABRAVA Surf Camp, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
We're glad that you found the Cloud Farm nice and the food good. We're sorry you felt that there were things we were oblivious too at the Surf House but would like to point out that you did not join us at our Surf House camp. We're sorry you feel that other tours you have attended were run more smoothly than ours, as we do try to make the whole experience run as smoothly and seamlessly as possible. Perhaps this might have been because you joined at the end of our season and only attended by one other guest - our usual minimum requirement for the Cloud Farm is 4 guests. We do apologize that you feel all the little things overwhelmed what could be a great thing. We would also like to point out that our staff at the Cloud Farm has been with us since the beginning and all who work with us do report that they are very happy and everyone gets along quite well.
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

ChicaBrava is an amazing experience. The surf instruction is patient, fun, and top class. The accommodations are breathtaking, the food is delicious, and the activities available beyond surfing are great fun.
The adventure of learning to surf at ChicaBrava will give you memories - and pride - that last long after your surfer-girl bruises have faded.
Great time, great people, phenomenal surf.

Been to CHICABRAVA Surf Camp? Share your experiences!