Perhaps I waited too long to write my review (went mid-June), because it's no longer as objective as it would have been. The memories have become even more glazed and sugary as time passes, and the sunsets perhaps even more golden than they actually were. That's the type of trip you want...right? The kind that only gets better when you remember it???
Kudos to Ashley, entrepreneur extraodinaire who has created such a special place for women to expand, explore, and take refuge in others of similair minds! Having travelled alone to different parts of the world, I get really excited to see oases like these that cater to the female, indepedent traveler.
Having taken only a few surfing lessons, I was hoping to get to a point where I could catch a wave, and surf it into shore. I went for a mini-weekend, and got SO much more than I anticipated! The quality of instruction was excellent. From the theory to the execution and practice, I never felt safer, or had more fun exhausting myself! Surf lessons, yoga class, massage, drinks that the local surf bar...dinner in town...the girls are inexhaustible, charismatic, and will make you forget that you (cough) MIGHT be over 40, and have limits to your stamina...:)
Chica Brava is not only safe, conscientious, and fun...they are respected and known in the local community. Local restaurants favor Chica Brava girls with special menus, drink offers, and VIP access to the luxury hotel in town for the pool and drinks. Bouncers at the bars know the surf instructors, and the ladies (they start out as your instructors, and quickly become your friends and soulmates) are recognized and favored in the community. Safety is paramount, and they take their job very seriously.
Noelani, Elsie, Madison...it was unforgettable. Candy - you're a sweetheart. In the interest of space and time, I will say this...I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate to have family in the country and the opportunity to visit them...so I can run off to the beach on the weekends and see my girlfriends!!!
Education on the Board....Superior (I've taken surf lessons in SJ before, these girls have it DOWN)
Bonding...out of this world.
Come alone, or come with a group, you'll always feel at home with this outfit. From the top down, the love shows. Congratulations, Ladies! You stole my heart!
- Also Known As:
- Chicabrava Surf Camp Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Chicabrava Surf Camp Hotel
- CHICABRAVA Surf Camp Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- CHICABRAVA is the first and best all-girls surf camp in Nicaragua. We are an elite camp for adventurous women who appreciate comfort as well as challenge. We have two locations - the Cloud Farm and the Surf House - that allow you to join no matter what your desired budget. The Cloud Farm is a private retreat within a gorgeous and secluded 500-acre private reserve and farm overlooking the town of San Juan del Sur and its picturesque bay. The Farm has hundreds of acres of indigenous forest, fruit orchards and organic gardens. Most of our food is organically grown right here! This is the perfect choice for guests who want to "get-away-from-it-all" at our gorgeous open-air surf retreat and enjoy the beauty and serenity of nature! Price is $1600/person for the ALL-INCLUSIVE week. $100 discount for traveling with a friend. The Surf House is right on the beach in San Juan del Sur. It's a great option for those who would like to be closer to all of the action and local flavor in town, and save a bit of money while doing so! The Surf House has loads of space in the hip open-air lounge area. Relax in the hammocks, on the couches, or hang out in the beachfront store at the front of the Surf House! Our three rooms are cozy and private with cold A/C and two shared baths. Price is $990/person for the week. $100 discount for traveling with a friend. ... more less