“awesome- chill and exhilarating vaca!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CHICABRAVA Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
CHICABRAVA Surf Camp
You added CHICABRAVA Surf Camp to your Saves list
Cloud Farm and Surf House locations, San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“awesome- chill and exhilarating vaca!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Traveling solo to surf (for the first time) I was a bit nervous and apprehensive. Upon arriving in Managua I was expected to be greeted by the Chicabrava pick-up with the hour. Slowly and hour past and then more, I begin to get nervous that I had missed my ride as I checked my phone and had no email or text from Chicabrava. I saw another lone female traveler waiting around and asked her if she was also waiting for the Chicabrava pick-up, she was indeed! I begin to tell myself that I was in a country where anything could happen and that perhaps our driver was delayed or stuck in traffic. It was 1.5 hours after the pick-up time and still no show, no word. Finally a nice driver from a local hotel in Managua asked who I was waiting for… he happened to know the driver for Chicabrava and called him for us. He was on his way… ah…a sigh of relief. There was another chica arriving on a later flight so the driver waited to pick us all up at once. I have to say, being alone traveling and expecting a pick-up at a specific time, it would have been nice had someone at Chicabrava contacted me and let me the time had changed.
The second I arrived in San Juan Del Sur everything changed. As soon as I meet my instructors Noelani and Elise I knew I was going to have an AMAZING vacation. Both were anything but the average surf instructor… they were the BOMB. They were constantly in the water with everyone working on pop-ups, form, making sure we caught as many waves as we possibly could. I felt that they were 100% dedicated to making sure I got the amount of surf time I wanted, and they paid close attention to me in telling me ways that I could improve my skills. Not only were they the BEST surf instructors, but they were also A+++++ hostesses. The knowledge of Elise growing up in the area and Noelani vivacious spunky personality made the two an amazing pair. I feel like Noelani went over and beyond her duties to make everyone felt at ease, had fun, and enjoyed themselves as much as humanly possible. Cloud Farm was an amazing treat, a little oasis nestled up in the hills overlooking San Juan Del Sur. The casa was extremely clean, and the infinity pool was a relaxing spot each night with a tona (local beer) or mojito. I would recommend staying at Cloud Farm if you are looking for a more chillaxing experience. The staff were very pleasant, laundry was offered twice during our week, and the food was delicious.. fresh fruit juices with each meal!! I really can’t wait to get back down there for more surfing with these chicas at Chicabrava!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My friends and I knew that we wanted to go surfing in Central America and this place came highly regarded. I had such a wonderful time. I went with two girlfriends for my bachelorette/birthday and the experience went far and above what I could have ever expected. We stayed at the Cloud Farm and it was so serene and calm. The house staff was super accommodating and made us fresh juice every day. I really liked just being taken care of. I recommend the Cloud Farm over the Surf Lodge for anyone who is more new to surfing (like me) and wants to relax and chill by the pool, and enjoy the breathtaking view during down time.

Our surf instructors were great at adjusting to our needs in the water and surfing abilities. They were also just nice to be around. Noelani, our head surf instructor, went above and beyond just teaching us to surf in our day to day. She added facials, played the uke and even made me a lay for my birthday!! It was like having a guide who makes you feel at home. There were 6 ladies in our group and we all bonded well.

The only thing I would mention is that the bugs (beatles in our case) were kinda of crazy the last night we were there. This was due to the rainy season beginning.

But I would def do it again! I love surfing because of this magical place!!

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

A friend and I checked out the Cloud Camp in early April and we had an amazing time. The accomodations were beautiful and Noelani and crew were amazing hosts/surf instructors. The student to instruction ratio was 3:1 which gave us all plenty of one on one time to go over technique and catch some waves. There was one day where the schedule called for two shorter (1.5hr) surf sessions which I preferred to the days where we'd go out for 3hrs in a row. It was nice to have a break in between and 3hrs of surfing can be a little frustrating if you're having a rough day. My suggestion would be that chicabrava look into scheduling in shorter but multiple sessions on a few more days. Food was pretty good - lunches were a bit on the light side at first but they fed us more once we complained! There are some awesome little taco shops and ceviche in san juan del sur town too that everyone should try. All in all, it was a fantastic experience and I would definitely recommend the camp to anyone who's interested in surfing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I went to ChicaBrava with two girlfriends to celebrate my friend's birthday and bachelorette. We had an amazing week. We were all amateur surfers at best when we arrived, but were doing pop ups and riding small waves into the beach on our first day out with our instructors. Our instructors, particularly Noelani, were the best. They went far beyond surf instruction, even baking banana bread one night, preparing a therapeutic ginger tea for sniffly campers and other home remedies, such as putting garlic in your ears to cure an ear infection and face masks made from coffee grinds. Our instructors even helped plan a bachelorette party with a pinata, cake and cocktails! The Cloud Farm had a beautiful view, a lovely infinity pool and felt more like a house -- which is what it was. There was a staff of three housekeepers/cooks who cleaned our rooms daily and prepared the most delicious, healthy meals for us. When we were there, the rainy season was just beginning, and so on our last night, the bugs were really intense. This is not a vacation for the feint of heart. Since the Cloud Farm is on an organic farm, be prepared to see adult and baby howler monkeys in the trees outside your window during the day (which is really cool) and to fight with the bugs at night (which wasn't as cool.) Still, I would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the Cloud Farm. The Surf House is more like a hostel for backpackers. Budget-frie...
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Backpacking through Nicaragua, we (two females) stopped in San Juan del Sur for two days and wanted to surf. We checked out a few surf shops that provided day trips and board rentals. But, we felt the safest with Chica Bravas (one of us had not surfed before) and went to Playa Remanso for a day trip.

They don't have a huge selection of boards, but enough. Also, their four-wheeled jeep type van fit the girls of their camp and us comfortably.

We surfed Playa Remanso, about a 15 min drive from San Juan del Sur. Remanso is a beach break with rights and lefts. On the day we went, the waves were chest to head high, well formed, and consistent. Some wind, but mostly off shore. Water temperature was 78. Also, not crowded. Bliss.

The instructors did a great job juggling the many Chica Bravas. They don't baby sit you unless you're doing a one-on-one lesson. Rather, they point out sets and tips. No pressure, low stress, just a lot of fun.

Overall, the vibe is energetic, fun, and contagious. I left wanting to do a week of surf camp with the Chica Bravas.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I am sooooo pleased to write that because of my incredible experience at camp on the heavenly cloud farm, my husband and I have booked a surf adventure to Santa Cruz and our hopefully Epic surf trip to Australia in February! Thanks to the amazing support, instruction and friendship I had while surfing with the CHICAS, these surf trips are my REALITY rather than a maybe someday kind of dream. I not only left camp with a new passion for surfing, I also left with the best name ever Mama Rad!!!!! If you have ever thought even just a bit about learning how to surf DO IT!!!!
Tara

• Stayed March 2013
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I did the cloud farm camp with a girlfriend in early May and met my surf goals on day 1! The instructors, Noe and Elsi, were awesome and really passionate about surfing. There were a few hiccups here and there, but you could tell Noe tried her hardest to make everything go smoothly. I also appreciated that she kept us in the loop so we always knew what the plan was. We were all beginner/beginner-intermediate surfers and we all progressed during our week there. And then the cloud farm, oh the cloud farm! FABULOUS staff, wonderful food, amazing setting for yoga, and baby howler monkeys daily! I am already planning to go back in September for another surf trip, and will definitely do a couple days of lessons with a ChicaBrava instructor. If you're debating, just go!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to CHICABRAVA Surf Camp? Share your experiences!