Mostly everyone enjoys vacations but if you are lucky, every once in a while you have a trip that really moves you. ChicaBrava was that trip for me. I came back inspired, well rested and I've become more productive since being back :)
I arrived in the evening at Managua, allowing me take the night shuttle w/Tomas. Pick-up was smooth, no drama and to my surprise, the roads were paved the whole way to San Juan del Sur. Ashley (owner) called Tomas and she welcomed me to Nica-- I thought that was a nice professional touch.
I decided to stay at the Surfhouse- it was a tough choice as the Cloud Farm looked amazing. I had to choose between a luxury surf experience or more of a budget minded one. I decided to go in between....I arrived two days before the official start of camp, which allowed more surfing time! And, that ladies is the whole reason why I was down there. ChicaBrava accommodated me even though I was the only surfer for two days. I had private instruction and my own private tour around the quaint village. Ashley pro-rated the extra two days and monetarily it was in between the Cloud Farm/Surfhouse price. I don't know if they normally do that-- but thinking my timing was just right, and I got lucky. When camp officially started, three ladies arrived and WOW, they were so cool! There was a moment where I was a little concerned as 3 chicas share a room. I took a gamble....I figured if I'm meeting new women at a surf camp in Nicaragua, we have to have some things in common......I was right.
We surfed three different beaches: Ramanso, Hermosa & Madera. First, let me say we had one true beginner and remainder of us were intermediates. The surf instructors: Anna & Sarah were so capable and encouraging to all of us that the true beginner made it all the way to the outside and caught her own waves....wow-- that's pretty freakin' awesome! The beaches they took us to we're perfect for our abilities. Romanso (easiest level) is awesome, easy paddle out- softer wave but definitely has some nice long workable sections. Hermosa is much like Romanso, but turn it up a notch- little more wind/current (less protected), more work for paddle out, a tad heavier wave but it's worth... b/c well, you go faster!! And finally Madera: this beach was awesome. Definitely not a beginner wave. The paddle out is like Hermosa except for the the wave being a bit heavier which in turn can wash ya back a little further to the beach and get you caught in the impact zone .... for your daily workout! But ya know, this was my favorite beach :) I enjoyed the challenge and the wave was waaaaay fun once you were on it.... you can really fly here! It was really cool how Anna/Sarah did a logical progression from manageable- challenging waves. By the time we surfed Madera we all felt confident, so no one got hurt and we all caught waves.
We totally scored...the waves were amazing during our week of camp, but the women I met down there were even better than the waves.
Have an open mind, stop reading more reviews and just book your ticket & reserve your spot.
- Also Known As:
- Chicabrava Surf Camp Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Chicabrava Surf Camp Hotel
- CHICABRAVA Surf Camp Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- CHICABRAVA is the first and best all-girls surf camp in Nicaragua. We are an elite camp for adventurous women who appreciate comfort as well as challenge. We have two locations - the Cloud Farm and the Surf House - that allow you to join no matter what your desired budget. The Cloud Farm is a private retreat within a gorgeous and secluded 500-acre private reserve and farm overlooking the town of San Juan del Sur and its picturesque bay. The Farm has hundreds of acres of indigenous forest, fruit orchards and organic gardens. Most of our food is organically grown right here! This is the perfect choice for guests who want to "get-away-from-it-all" at our gorgeous open-air surf retreat and enjoy the beauty and serenity of nature! Price is $1600/person for the ALL-INCLUSIVE week. $100 discount for traveling with a friend. The Surf House is right on the beach in San Juan del Sur. It's a great option for those who would like to be closer to all of the action and local flavor in town, and save a bit of money while doing so! The Surf House has loads of space in the hip open-air lounge area. Relax in the hammocks, on the couches, or hang out in the beachfront store at the front of the Surf House! Our three rooms are cozy and private with cold A/C and two shared baths. Price is $990/person for the week. $100 discount for traveling with a friend. ... more less