I cannot say enough about this incredible place! Karen, Roy, and Marty will do anything to make you feel comfortable and like one of their own family members. From the moment I called to check for availability, they were open and friendly to my last minute request (I booked within a few weeks of my stay). There is plenty of space for rest and relaxation, with beautiful forest backdrops.
Keep in mind, this is quite literally MIDDLE OF NOWHERE Nica, but that being said it is the perfect escape from tvs and reality (but don't worry, there is wifi if you can't completely disconnect). There is great local food a short walk away (not that you would ever want to leave Karen's cooking!), and you are close to two of the northern beaches. Marsella is less than a ten minute walk down the road, and Maderas is walkable for the daring up and down a very large hill (they will drive you, no problem - this is by far the better beach!).
Downtown San Juan is about a 20 minute drive by mostly dirt roads, but the seclusion is worth it. You will wake up hearing howler monkeys and a wide variety of birds every day.
The huts were huge bamboo bungalows with plenty of space and private bathrooms for yourself or your small family. There were mosquito nets, but it never felt "buggy," even at night. There was a shared eating space with games, a communal fridge with plenty of snacks and drinks, friendly (loving) dogs, and evening activities of movies, card games, and darts. The porch swings are worth the visit alone!!
If you are looking for an escape from your every day, this is the place to do it. Steps from everything Nica has to offer, do not pass up a chance to stay here! My friend and I cannot wait to visit our new Nica family again!
- Also Known As:
- Empalme a Las Playas Hotel San Juan Del Sur
- Empalme a Las Playas Hotel
- Empalme a Las Playas Nicaragua/San Juan Del Sur
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A true nature lover and beach goer treat. Spacious and quiet bamboo cabanas sitting in the jungle canopy above the river showcasing howler monkeys and many varieties of birds and wildlife. Within walking distance of Playa Marsella and Playa Maderas, said to be one of the best surf breaks in Nicaragua. A great place to relax, surf, trek and enjoy the natural beauty that is Nicaragua. We are as close to a nature reserve/eco lodge as can be without going through all the legalities to get the "stamp" of approval. Enjoy personal service and feel like you are at your home away from home. Offering personal service and satisfaction! ... more less