“The Mango Rosa is the happiest place on earth, not Disneyland...” 5 of 5 stars

Mango Rosa Nicaragua
Playa Marsella, San Juan del Sur 505, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in San Juan del Sur
Fullerton, California
“The Mango Rosa is the happiest place on earth, not Disneyland...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

When it comes to describing my stay at the Mango Rosa, I do not know where to begin. I will start with the owners and employees. From the first time I came in contact with Greg, one of the owners, he was extremely helpful. He answered every question I threw at him in a very timely manner. If I emailed him at breakfast with a question, I would get an answer by lunch. Everyone at Mango Rosa, from the cooks all the way to the security guys are super friendly and helpful. Any worry you may have about traveling instantly vanishes after talking to Greg.

I went to Nicaragua with 5 other friends and there was never a dull moment, especially at Mango Rosa. Jonny, the event coordinator was on point with anything we wanted to do. Whether it was taking out the boat to different breaks or showing us the night life in San Juan Del Sur. On any vacation, I have never become such good friends with everyone at the resort. When we would go out at night, they would all show us the best places to go. Anytime you go to a different country and the locals can show you the town, you know you are seeing everything that country has to offer.

Now the sleeping arrangements. My buddies and I stayed in the House at the back of the property. Pictures on the website do not capture how perfect this house was. When we arrived, are house looked exactly how it did on the website. Nice huge walk in showers, flat screens on the walls, a full kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms, and then you walk upstairs. The patio upstairs is the best aspect of this house. Rocking chairs, comfortable furniture, two hammocks, a full working bar with BBQ that cooks lobster to perfection and the master bedroom. Every room was equiped with airconditioning that worked too good at times. These worked out great to help ease the sunburn.

7 days at Mango Rosa go by in the blink of an eye. I would truly make another vacation happen at Mango Rosa. It is 15 minutes out of town and five minutes from Maderas by road. Staying at the Mango Rosa gave me the feeling of being secluded away from all the tourists in San Juan, but it was really close to some great waves at Maderas. It is truly difficult to describe how great everything is at the Mango Rosa in only a couple paragraphs. No need to search any more, if you stay at the Mango Rosa, you will get everything you want out of Nicaragua and so much more.

That is why it is fair to say, The Mango Rosa is the happiest place on earth, not disneyland.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
North Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2011

This is the first time that I've ever typed a Trip Advisor review the moment I arrived back in my home country. The reason being that these guys flat out deserve it. My group just spent 8 nights at the Mango Rosa and we couldn't have had a more enjoyable experience. To prevent me from typing an essay, here's a breakdown:

Check-In
We arrived in our own vehicle just after sunset and Chad was waiting for us. After a quick and easy tour of our 2 bedroom casita (G3) we were good to go. No waiting, no hassles...piece of cake.

Location
I had read all of the reviews prior to choosing the Mango Rosa and we chose the place based on the location. We didn't want to be in SJDS and we wanted to be close to the more beautiful beaches such as Maderas for relaxing and some surfing. Mango Rosa is perfectly situated if you ask me. I agree with managements claims that it takes exactly 15 minutes by car to town (I timed it). 5 minutes tops down the road to Maderas.

The Rooms
As mentioned, we were in a 2 bedroom. All of the houses are detached, private, spacious and steps from the pool yet far enough from the restaurant not to be disturbed if you want tranquility. Ours had a kitchen, HUGE bathroom, living-room, breakfast bar, dining table and veranda with couches and hammock.

The Restaurant
Ok, so a bit of a preamble here. I am what is known as a "vacation-ruiner". I have a notoriously weak stomach in foreign countries, yet I ate at least 2 meals a day, everyday in the Mango Rosa restaurant and I not only felt fantastic, but I loved, loved, loved the food. I can also speak for the rest of our group. I definitely tip my hat to the restaurant/bar manager Mike for being so passionate about what he does. He keeps the place running like a well oiled machine, keeps new and exciting daily specials on the menu and really takes the time to get to know each and every guest. Vladamir, Calvin...the daytime server (I hope I'm getting these names right)...the entire staff were so friendly and amazing. 5 star service without the 5 star price.

Activities
The activities director Jonny, what can I say...he's amazing. Ready to spring into action if your day requires his expertise, but no pressure if you don't. My wife and brother had taken surf lessons in other countries and said that Jonny was by far the best instructor. When it was my birthday while at the Mango Rosa, Greg (one of the owners) took us out on the most amazing sunset boat cruise where I even caught my own tuna....well, sort of caught it : ) Which Mike then seared to absolute perfection for everyone lucky enough to be in the bar that night. Then a night on the town...again, the Mango Rosa team kept us safe and made sure we had a great night. I think it was a great night? I don't really remember.

What it all comes down to is the people. The reason that we loved our stay so much is the passion that each and every person put into making sure we had an amazing stay. I can't recommend this place enough. Stay at the Mango Rosa!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Mango Rosa is one of those gems, that is truly undiscovered. Thank goodness for us. My handsome hubby and I, embarked on our world wind Nicaragua trip, with our first stop, being at Mango Rosa. From the moment, we walked onto to the resort, until the minute we left, we felt like family. Mike (manager/bartender) was a breath of fresh air. He is truly one of those managers, who worries about his guests' comfort. He made us feel welcomed and made sure our journey was one of true adventure and enjoyment. The stafff was welcoming and friendly. Greg (owner) took us on our booze cruise, where we watched the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen. Also, Chad (owner) was awesome. If, you have a chance, have him tell you the whale joke. Ernesto (hubby), could not stop laughing for days. All, in all, our experience was one, I will never forget. Thank you Mango Rosa, for your wonderful staff, your creativity, your zest for life and for giving us the most memorable vacation, we've ever had. We will back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Templeton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

This place was an Oasis for us.....
First time travelers in Nica and it was a great place to land. You can hang out there and have all your needs taken care of by staff, or go into town and explore. Perfect place to laze by the pool, eat great fresh food and meet other travelers at the bar. Or you can go surf, fish , sail, zipline, etc..

We found the staff to be very helpful. Mike the restaurant manager took us into town the first day there and showed us the ropes; where to eat, how and where to shop, how to negotiate driving the area, etc.. That really made the rest of the trip much more fun for us.
Yes, you are not located in town, but that's what we wanted. We never had a hard time getting around, but if you feel the need you can always rent a car in town.

My husband and sons surfed every day at least once. Blissful....
I loved the big, clean rooms,the vibe, the whole deal.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

Middle of no where, the room was full of ants. The staff was friendly, but the owner, Chad was flirting with every female guest. Too wild of a party atmosphere to be taken seriously. The room had ants, spiders and comforter had stains.

The management need more professional experience and you are better off staying in the middle of the town or right on the beach. The staff tried, but there is only so much they can work with.

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
gotrum, Owner at Mango Rosa Nicaragua, responded to this review, January 17, 2011
Dear Travelers,

As our web information attemptsto clearly state we are located 6.5 kilometers to the North of San Juan del Sur and we are 1100 meters (an easy walk) to Playa Marsella and 1400 meters to Playa Maderas. We provide shuttles at any time of the day or night to both San Juan del Sur and the beaches if you are not inclined to walk. With regard to ants in the house....we are in a jungle setting and we do our best to make sure the houses are ant free. Sometimes when food is left out it attracts ants. In this particular case we moved this traveler to another house to make them more comfortable. If you read the other reviews on trip advisor the houses are always clean and bug free ad is our standard. With regard to the comment "flirting with female guests" I can only say that this statement is unfounded and not understood by myself, Jonny and Mike. The only female guests present during this stay were personal friends of mine.

Chad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

After a hectic 6 days of hardcore traveling and seeing a lot of the best Nicaragua has to offer, I was ready for checking in and staying at the same place for 5 days. I had no idea what was in store for me in those days...

Starting with the impeccable kept 1 bedroom bungalow, 4L, with a seriously comfy couch/daybeds and amazing hardwood handcrafted coffee table, my stay at Mango Rosa was off to a good start.

It only got better. Jonny, the activities director, was knowledgable, dependable and always up for some fun. From the sunset boat cruises, to canopy zip-line tours to beginner surf lessons and excursions to the advanced Manzanillo point break, he's your man and will take care of all details.

Mike, the restaurant manager, and staff served up fresh, affordable and delicious meals including three daily specials for breakfast, lunch and dinner which were usually my choice (although the surf and turf on the menu is a MUST have).

Chad and Greg, the owners, are usually around, are friendly and always willing to provide some advice on what to see and do.

The only thing that would have made this stay better was if Mango Rosa was a shorter distance to playa Maderas, but the constant rides and shuttles to the beach make me easily overlook that small shortcoming.

Overall, I would recommend Mango Rosa to anyone going to the San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua area. It will be the place I stay in time and time again when in that part of the world.

• Stayed January 2011
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed at Mango Rosa with my parents and brother in July. We arrived in SJDS without any hotel reservations. We were going to stay in town, but I saw a flyer for this place at the tourist office and decided to check it out. It took about 30-45 minutes to get there from town as the roads are very poor. Upon arrival they were waiting for us (I called them from SJDS). Our little house had two bedrooms, a bathroom , living room, and kitchen. It was perfect. There was also a large pool and a great restaurant/bar area. The beach was about ten minutes away by truck. There was also a beach that we could walk to, but we never made it to that one. There was only one other family staying here, so we felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.

I would recommend Mango Rosa for people who are looking to get away from it all and relax. If you are looking to party in SJDS then this is not the place for you as it is off in the jungle. You can't get back and forth from town easily.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
lapangarosa, Owner at Mango Rosa Nicaragua, responded to this review, January 22, 2011
As always thank you for taking the time to write and read the reviews for Mango Rosa on Trip Advisor. Just to give you a little bit of an update on this end since July the roads from town to Mango Rosa have been improved and the 6.5km trip is only about 15 min in truck, as well as the roads to the beaches are in even better shape and the 1.5km treck to Playa Maderas is just a few minutes by truck. Due to our location in the beautiful Nicaraguan country side we urge you to take advantage of this and enjoy the native surroundings of why many people travel to Cental America for the natural beauty, abundant wild life and the true adventure of Travel.

FYI, if those not renting vehicles while here, we currently have three trucks catering to guests here at Mango Rosa as well as a town shuttle that passes three times per day to the beaches and/or town round trip for just a few bucks.

Bienvenidos,

Greg

Been to Mango Rosa Nicaragua? Share your experiences!