“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mango Rosa Nicaragua

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Juan del Sur
Mango Rosa Nicaragua
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Marsella, San Juan del Sur 505, Nicaragua   |
Heiloo
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Me, my husband and our friends just came back from a week at Mango Rosa to relax after a two weeks trip. The accommodation was great, spacious, clean, beautiful garden, comfortable beds, nice place to sit outside, lots of privacy. The swimming pool was nice too, although it wasn't very clean when we arrived. There are few beds/chairs to sit on, but that was no problem, since most people are not there during the day. However, we thought Greg, the owner, was not very nice. When we came and introduced ourselves, he asked were we came from; the Netherlands, and he said "fair enough" (?). The next day I wanted to have a chat with him so I asked him how long he had been living in Nicaragua? He gave his answer and then said "and you?". Maybe I am missing the point here but I didn't think it was funny. During the rest of the week he chose to ignore us, when he walked past us he didn't even bother to say hello. Since all the other guests are so pleased with him, we must have done something wrong or maybe it was because we were from the wrong country, not being the USA? Also, you have to go to the reception every time you want your room to be cleaned, "for privacy reasons" it is not done automatically. I would say it better be the reverse, come and tell when you don't want your room to be cleaned! Also, the second day, my friend had been to the reception in the morning to ask for the cleaning to be done, but no one came, so she went back to ask again in the afternoon. Greg than said " you have to come in the morning! Which we did. Couple of days later I asked for the cleaning; nobody! I don't mind that much, so I let it go. Also, we had lunch one day at the pool, but the staff never cleaned up, they were watching a soccer game on tv (Greg was gone that day...). Also, all kinds of little things were broken or didn't work, like a chair, fridge, stove etc. Overall, we had a pleasant stay and don't let little things like this ruin our fun, but we found we had to mention this because Greg was not very hospitable to us!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
lapangarosa, Owner at Mango Rosa Nicaragua, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for your interesting review. It was nice having you and your group here, you really seemed to enjoy your bungalows and relaxing by the pool with a good book. Nice to see. Sorry if there was some type of misunderstanding in my communication with you. I try to cater the best I can to the individual needs of all our guest, if I fell short in a bit more personal attention you required my apologies. In spite of your expressed dislikes I hope your likes outweighed them and sincerely hope you enjoyed your stay with us and here in Nicaragua. Regards, Greg

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

In November, my husband and I, along with another couple rented a 2 bedroom cabin and had an amazing time! The cabin suited us perfectly- you could tell there were finishing touches that Nth Americans would appreciate- which is REALLY nice to have. Every night and most days we ate a Mango Rosa just because the food was SOO delicious... we weren't even really tempted to eat in town! Greg and Dexter were very accommodating and made sure we had everything we needed and had a drive to any destination. We were there for the surf and although it wasn't the greatest ,we had our very own surf guide who took us to special places around Nica everyday- can't beat this place! We will be back for sure!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review and we are stoked you'll had a great time with us at Mango Rosa. Hope to see you back down and we will save some waves for you. Safe Travels, Greg
Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Lush landscape, beautiful bungalows, attentive and caring staff and great food; this is what you will find at Mango Rosa. I was a little nervous travelling to Nicaragua for the first time but from being picked up from the airport to the week long adventures in and around San Juan Del Sur Greg and his staff put me at ease and showed me a truly memorable vacation. The bungalow was spacious, the bed comfortable, the A/C cold and the kitchen/living area was immense. Having Wi/Fi and satellite TV made you feel like you were home even though you are in the middle of a jungle. The restuarant/bar on the premises served great food and cold beer and gave me an easy way to meet my neighbors and locals alike. I highly recommend Mango Rosa.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the nice review. Glad to see you taking full advantage of Mango Rosa/Nicaragua offerings with great waves, food, camaraderie and plenty of laughs. Good job as well on the improvements in your surfing skills. Until next time stay stoked and keep paddling. Greg
Gibbons, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at Mango Rosa for a little over a week and we are so glad we did!!. Cute little two bedroom cabin that fulfilled our every need! Very relaxed resort with the privacy you do not get from a hotel. I have read several reviews from people regarding the "bugs" being an inconvienience and all I can say is..... you are in a third world country in the jungle so what did you expect? I would suggest that in the future a hotel would work much better if you need to be sheltered from bugs and such. The owner Greg went above and beyond to fulfill our reservation even though it was last minute and during the busiest week in San Juan del Sur. I also saw negative feedback regarding the distance this resort is from town and suggest that if you plan on spending time in town.... rent a car. It is well worth the drive to have the privacy, friendly atmosphere and comforts of this family run resort. The only suggestion I would make is to add more laydown chairs by the pool so more people can relax and soak up the sun.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Potomac
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My two daughters and I stayed for a few days at Mango Rosa at the end of february. We had never been to Nicaragua and picked Mango Rosa for its low-key atmosphere and their activities and specials. We enjoyed our stay and from the beginning and I felt like I was coming home ! The friendly and caring staff made sure we got what we needed, our house was nice and clean and the staff helped us book trips, a hotel in Granada etc. A nice surprise was the bar/restaurant service, where the food was excellent and a good place to meet both Mango guests and people from town (San Juan del Sur). The resort offers driving services to town and to the beaches which is very helpful, but in itself the resort is a nice destination for those who need to relax in beautiful surroundings. Look forward to seeing my friends at Mango Rosa again.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

My 40 year old son and i just (February 2013) spent a week in PARADISE, aka Mango Rosa.We went there for the "surf pkg" and it exceeded all my hopes. The accommodations were very clean, nicely decorated, air conditioned, and had a large hammock on the front porch which was in use whenever we were back at "the room". They had a nice size very clean pool, which got a lot of use. The bar/restaurant staff were terrific about checkiing to see(while we were in the pool) if we would like some food or another cold one, The restaurant food was really good, and we tried a good portion of the menu; food and drink were very reasonably priced. Apparently, the bar/restaurant has a very good reputation, as a lot of people would come there who were not staying at Mango Rosa, The surf outings were great with terrific instruction; we had great waves every day. The two beaches that we went to were very nice, with good food at both. All the staff were very friendly and very helpful and really seemed to want the guests to have the best possible experience. The owner, Greg, is a really nice, laid back guy who made sure that there was nothing lacking, even loaning me a wet suit for the unusually cold water. To sum up, i could not have even begun to expect a trip as good as this was! That is why i will be going back in about 6 weeks for a 3-4 week stay. AWESOME place!!!!

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was here the first week of February with 3 friends. The resort was beautiful and the staff was incredible. We happened to have awesome timing and were there for the Superbowl (very fun party!); we also saw dolphins and baby sea turtles hatching during the boat cruise (cannot promise this for other travelers :). I loved the family feel of Mango Rosa.. everyone seems to get along very well and we felt right at home. Breakfast was by far the best meal of the day- banana bread french toast!

Room Tip: Don't plan on sleeping in as with everywhere in Nicaragua the wild life is quite vocal but with...