“Great for relaxation and adventure” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mango Rosa Nicaragua

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Juan del Sur
Mango Rosa Nicaragua
Playa Marsella, San Juan del Sur 505, Nicaragua   |
Ranked #5 of 20 hotels in San Juan del Sur
Orlando, Florida
“Great for relaxation and adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I originally found this resort through Groupon and read all the great reviews on trip advisor. This was my first trip to Central/South America. Greg, the owner, emailed right away after my inquiry. We decied to go a la carte for our activities. My girlfriend and I stayed here for 5 days. Unfortunately, I got sick en route, but this place was perfect to help me recover. If you are coming to San Juan Del Sur, I would stay here again if that helps. Although the resort is a little hard to get to, transportation to the beaches and town is easy and free/minimal charge. The grounds are very well kept, the staff are very friendly and welcoming, and the food was so good we rarely ate off-resort. I feel the cooks make dishes from burgers to mahi mahi fillets better than some American chefs. The prices are super reasonable.

All the negative reviews seem to either be from 1-3 years ago before management restructuring and some of the other negative comments are a bit absurd. If you read the website fully and read the fact sheets provided in your bungalows, you would know things like you'd have to request cleanings/linens and know that you're in a rural area and there will be (some) insects.

The 5 days I was here, my girlfriend and I relaxed in the pool/hammocks, enjoyed the bar/restaurant, ziplined, surfed, fished, and visited the town of San Juan Del Sur. It was a great vacation and I cannot wait to do another like it again. Greg was very friendly and on-hand to help with any and everything. He took us fishing and even shared the original sketch drawing of his vision of the resort from 20 years ago.

Tips: Arrange airport transportation w/ a 3rd party company through Greg, rent an SUV if you want to rent a vehicle, take the trip to Play Hermosa (great beginner/intermediate surfing) and try everything on the menu!

Room Tip: Couple = bungalow Family = 2 bd or rancher Use the A/C only at night (electricity charge) unless...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

296 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

My buddy bailed at the last minute so I spent 5 days over the 4th of July at the resort by myself. It was great to be part of the Mango Rosa family so that I wasn't stuck in the middle of Nicaragua alone. Greg and the crew all knew me by name on day 1 and I'll reiterate the props other reviewers have given to the bar/kitchen staff. The quality of the food and the service were by far the best I've ever experienced. I was definitely glad I chose the all-inclusive option. The cabanas are huge and fully equipped (NOTE: I wasn't paying attention and left my air running the entire time and it cost me on my electric bill at checkout...I remember reading somewhere that I would be charged but forgot, so definitely my fault...although it was nice to walk into an icy cold room after a long day out in the sun). The waves at Playa Maderas were a little much for me but I still had a blast paddling out w/ the other guests. Also, Greg's boat was being serviced so we had to set up a charter through another company which wasn't the best, but Greg compensated me on the bill to make up for it so it all worked out (not to mention the package price was already pretty phenomenal). Definitely looking forward to getting back out there for a better fishing experience with Greg (and hopefully some improved surf skills!). Thanks for making me feel at home on my solo vacation!

Room Tip: Save electricity, you'll pay for it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days January 2012. Our room was very spacious and clean, restaurant/bar was always open and the grounds were very beautiful and relaxing. The owner, Greg and the rest of his staff was very welcoming and made sure we were able to do everything we wanted. They organized activities for us such as horseback riding and an evening boat tour. He also made sure we were able to get in to town when we wanted to but we really enjoyed just relaxing at the resort mostly. We don't have any children but it also seemed like a great place for kids. Highly recommended and would love to return!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

While it was a little ways out of town, it is close to it's own beach. Mango Rosa's staff knows everything and everyone, so you will not miss a moment of fun whilst in San Juan del Sur. They organized out trips and pool parties, the rooms were great and the food was fantastic!

Also they throw the best parties!!

Room Tip: They're all great, and they come with free cats. Just kidding, you'll understand if when you...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
JPortelance
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The property is perfect for families. The location is ideal, the trip from town is about 10 mins, its 3 mins to Playa Marsella and 4 mins to Playa Maderas.The casitas are well built, well designed, and are a good size...plenty of room to spread out and get comfortable. The full kitchen and frig are awesome for an extended stay, definetly stop by Pali in San Juan and stock up on supplies. The casitas, main ranchero, pool, and the rest of the grounds are great, but what really make this property top notch is the staff. They are amazingly friendly, greeting you with a smile at every time of the day, and go out of their way to help you in any way that they can. The food at the onsite restaurant is also top notch, definitely the best quality we had on our entire 10 trip in Nicaragua.

Only complaint, the pool needed a little more daily maintenance because its used so heavily in the afternoon by the guests.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Mazar-i-Sharif, Afghanistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Amazing! The 2nd time down was even better than the first. In all my travels, this is top 3 in the world for "most quaint". It is not very often that the owner Greg personally invites you to take part in the festivities of a birthday. For those who are "seasoned travelers", the 1st birthday in Latin American countries is equivalent to a wedding by the size in USA standards. The staff at Mango Rosa advised anyone coming during this time, that the resort would be very festive for 1 day. Greg and his staff provided smoked chicken and open bar to over 100 people in San Juan del Sur at no cost to them or the guests at Mango Rosa. My youngest brother was with me on this trip and got to see a true Nicaraguan event.His staff and general manager Dexter will give you the shirt off their backs if you ask them.
Transportation: every morning there is a shuttle that leaves at 10 a.m. that goes to Maderas Beach. There are other beautiful beaches that are around and can be scheduled at no cost for the people staying at the hotel. The personnel taking people to these beaches are staff of the Mango, and it is always nice to give them a few dollars for saying thanks. Americans are well know for giving a smile and a few bucks, so keep the happiness coming!

I highly recommend the adventure or surf packages. They are catered and suited for your needs. These are of greater value and cable planned on your arrival. A courtesy to Greg and Dexter is to give them about 24 hour notice, but they can handle anything thrown at them.

A helpful website is:
www.mangorosanicaragua.com

Once again, this place exceeded my expectations the 2 nd time around. I am already planning my 3rd trip in less than 2 months!

Mango Rosa + Waves + Adventure Package= All Smiles

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Owner at Mango Rosa Nicaragua, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Great to see you back down and great perspective from somebody that has traveled all over the world. Glad you could be a part of Sofia's 1st B-day as well a real special event and I am glad that we had such a good group to share it with. See you back down soon, we will save you some waves. Take Care- Greg and the Mango Staff.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our trip to Playa Madera was very enjoyable because of our stay at Mango Rosa. It is nice and close to the surf and has a great pool for the kids.
When travelling with small children it's nice to know you are staying in a clean, critter free environment.
Muchas gracias to Greg & the Mango Rosa staff!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Mango Rosa Nicaragua, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Great to see you and the family enjoyed Mango Rosa so much. Mango Rosa is becoming more and more known as the leading Family Friendly resort here in Nicaragua and great to see especially know that I have one of my own. Awesome to see the kids traveling at an early age.

Look forward to seeing you next year.......Greg

Been to Mango Rosa Nicaragua? Share your experiences!