“The Best - Revisited” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Huntingdon
“The Best - Revisited”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Four years ago, visiting a grandson who was a freshman at nearby Juniata College, we stayed for the first time at the Comfort Inn in Huntingdon. We thought it a fine place to spend several days and now, arriving once again for graduation, we had the opportunity to revisit the Inn and our evaluation of it so long ago. Back then, we gave the hotel/motel a 4 star-plus rating and, though several of our quibbles then -- excessive smoke-filled hallways, for example -- have been eliminated, it still earns that today.

When we first rated the Comfort Inn, we praised the “extremely friendly front-desk personnel, pleasant food servers each morning, and even courteous room attendants.” All those attributes remain. The same thing was true of our room. Then we wrote: “Our king-bedded room if not huge, was comfortable, immaculately clean, and well-laid out. There were many pillows on the bed , something we always hope to find but usually do not. The bathroom, often poorly thought out and tiny in so many hotels, was just the opposite in the Comfort Inn. Very welcome there was an excellently large counter and oversized mirror. Each room had very quick and seamless wireless connectivity and the television is hooked up to a wide-ranging cable system that offers any number of choices.” That, too, is so today. Unfortunately the breakfast room of the motel which was quite small then, offering very limited choices of breakfast foods, especially for a hot meal , has also not changed and that is undeniably a major “negative.” When the inn is filled, as it was for graduation weekend at Juniata, it is impossible at times to even find a seat at breakfast. Management might have alieviated this crowding had it used common sense and opened a large adjoining room; instead it rented it to another group for a presentation later in the day. Strange. Hopefully that is something that will never be repeated in future years.
Without a doubt, the most frustrating fact about the Comfort Inn--and many others have stressed this again and again as we did four years ago--is the fact that the motel backs up, figuratively, to the railroad tracks which pass through Huntingdon. We knew this was so before we booked our room but we had no idea how many, many trains pass through the town every day. Then we wrote: “Freight trains, often traveling at 50 miles an hour, if not more, roar through, honking their horns endlessly, four, five or more times an hour all day and night long. We had no idea that there were that many trains in the US any more! As it happened, we were so tired each evening that by the time we returned to our room, we were able to sleep undisturbed but we have no doubt that even though the Inn sits a good city block away from the tracks on the far side of the Juniata River, there will inevitably be many who find the noise unbelievably irritating.” That has not changed and may, indeed, have gotten worse.

The Comfort Inn’s rates are reasonable and its physical location is central to everything of importance in the community. No-one will be disappointed if they decide to stay there. It is a quality establishment and, indeed, it has repeatedly won that chain’s Gold Award for many years as a symbol of its quality. Even with a mediocre and crowded breakfast, we’re glad we returned and though it is hard to know how many times in the future we might return, we would never hesitate to stay there again and again (though we might bring along ear plugs if we do come).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kurt_Stull_GM, General Manager at Comfort Inn Huntingdon, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your very thorough review of our property. First and most importantly, thank you for being a return guest. We are very proud of our staff, and feel that they are some of the friendliest people that you will find in any hotel. The trains are a conversation starter at our hotel for sure if you are staying on the backside of the hotel. We get people that will only stay in the back where they can see the trains. We also have people that are very lite sleepers that prefer the quieter frontside of the building. Fortunately we are usually able to provide the room type that best satisfies most of our guests. Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Warsaw, ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I visit the area approximately 3 times a year and always try to stay at the Comfort Inn in Huntingdon. The rooms are clean, and the staff is always kind and helpful. I especially like Steve. He has been there for years, and is always so helpful. The continental breakfast is very good and they are very conscientious about refilling all food items once they get low. I cant say enough about all the pleasant stays I have had here. The only con I have is that I wish they had more rooms, as they are sold out many times. This is telling you that there is quality service to be had here. (Build on additional rooms again perhaps?) Thanks for making us comfortable Comfort Inn!

Room Tip: We love the jacuzzi suites!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. I agree that Steve is special and so do many of our guests. We really are proud of the staff and feel that they are second to no other. I am also glad that you enjoyed are breakfast. I am also pleased to tell you that we have many new and exciting things in store over the next 14 months!
Asheville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed here a few nights in Spring '13. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the staff easygoing and competent. Maria, always affable and efficient, got us checked in quickly, and provided lots of help when we had trouble getting work prints from our home office. Next time I'm in the area, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Kurt_Stull_GM, General Manager at Comfort Inn Huntingdon, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about your stay with our hotel. We are proud of the way all of our employees know how to provide great guest service. Maria strives to always create quality guest experiences every time. We look forward to seeing you the next time when you are the area.
Clinton, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

What a treat! This is a newer hotel, with large, spacious rooms, equipped with a flat screen TV, Kuerig coffee maker, fridge and microwave. I traveled to Huntingdon for the birth of my first grand child, and was lucky to have chosen this hotel, just a mile from the hospital. I had inadvertently left a travel bag behind upon departure, not to have discovered that fact until I arrived back home 3 1/2 hours later. I called them, they found the bag, and the women behind the desk(Marie, I think her name was?) personally took the bag to the UPS and had it shipped to me. I got it 2 days later. Thank you!
If I ever travel this way again I would definitely use this hotel. Extremely reasonable, and the breakfast was good too! They actually had 2 waffle makers that worked really well! Good job, Comfort Inn!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Kurt_Stull_GM, General Manager at Comfort Inn Huntingdon, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words about your recent stay at our hotel and congratulations on your grandchild! I am so happy to hear that Maria responded to your request with above and beyond service. We are glad to have her as a member of our team. We look forward to seeing you more as the baby continues to grow.
Lancaster Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here for one night. My room was clean and comfortable, the staff was helpful and very friendly. The pool and pool area looked nice, although I didn't use it. The breakfast was very nice. I did like the location. Lots of things nearby, easy to find. I would stay there again if I was in the area. I did have a nice view of the river, but it came with a price: train ran nearby all day and night. If I were to stay again, I would need a room away from the tracks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our property. I am glad that you noticed how clean are hotel was. Our housekeeping staff constantly strive to provide the cleanest experience for all of our guests. I am also pleased that you mentioned are location being nearby to lots of things. Being close to the heart of Huntingdon is one of the many reasons that so many of our guests choose to stay with us while visiting the area.
Wilmington, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I wanted to stay at the Fairfield Inn, but it was booked. This was our second choice. The rooms were decent, the kids found a dirty sock next to the bed. We requested a room on the front side of the hotel and didn't have any issues with train noise. We stayed here while visiting family in Mt. Union, it's probably the closest hotel. I would prefer to stay in an all smoke free hotel. Although the hotel didn't smell like smoke, it smelled like some chemical they used to cover up the smell of smoke. Mostly in the lobby and common area, our room was fine. The pool was small but worked for us for only a quick winter weekend getaway. The breakfast was good but seating was difficult because of the small area. The breakfast attendant was nice and opened up a second, larger room for breakfast but it was freezing in that room. Needless to say, we ate quickly and moved along. Overall, it wasn't bad but I would definitely prefer to stay at the Fairfield Inn next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at our hotel. I have discussed the concerns that you mentioned with housekeeping. Also I wanted to let you know that we recently reduced the amount of smoking rooms that we offer to our guests. I hope that you give us another try. Please call me so that I can personally ensure that your next stay is excellent.
Towson, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

As far as I'm concerned this is the ONLY hotel in Huntingdon. I've been staying here for over 4 years since my kids are at the local college. Clean rooms, reasonable prices. The free breakfast makes it convenient and has a lot of options. The staff is the hotel's strong suit--very friendly and accommodating. They really go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. Yes, the train does pass the hotel, but there's really not much we can do about that!

Room Tip: If the sound of the train bothers you, ask for a room on the opposite side!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. We value the relationships that we have developed with our Juniata College parents. I agree with you about our staff. We constantly hear from our guests that we have a warm, friendly, helpful staff. We understand that the people that work in our hotel are as important as the way we clean and maintain our hotel. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Been to Comfort Inn Huntingdon? Share your experiences!