“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have not eaten at Top's Diner for about 2 years. The last 2 times we were there, we were very disappointed in the quality of the food. One time I had ordered a roast beef dinner, and the roast beef was so tough that I could not cut it with my knife. The last time we were there we ordered a specialty sandwich for lunch, and it was so greasy I did not feel well after eating it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
rwalkr, Owner at Top's Diner, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Hello, I really appreciate your taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor, and am sorry that your past experiences haven't been up to par. You may be happy to know that as far as the beef goes, we learned (too late) that one of my cooks who is no longer with us was not using the proper procedure for cutting the top rounds after we roasted them. As it is in our business, as much as we try to stay on top of everything, if we don't know it's broke, we can't fix it. And it wasn't until a couple other people voiced their concern while at the Diner that we investigated and found the problem. I can assure you that it has since been corrected.

As for the sandwich.. we have quite a few "signature sandwiches"... and quite honestly, some of them are meant to be "diner-esque" and greasy. I am sorry that you found your burger to be too much so, and had I known you did not like it while you were there, we would have been glad to offer you a replacement sandwich or some other alternative so that you did not leave dissatisfied. I would still like to make things right... feel free to contact me through here if you are interested. Rick Walker, Owner

Petersburg, PA
“Great dinner with excellent service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I recently visited Top's Diner with a group of 5 friends for dinner. Our waitress was wonderful and very attentive. Our group was very chatty and it took us quite a while to decide what we wanted to order. She checked back with us multiple times and was very pleasant each time. Once we did order, it did not take long before our meals were ready. The food was very good! If you stop in, be sure to ask for one of their chocolate chunk cookies. They are amazing!

I have also used Top's for catering lunches at work. They are always prompt, very competitively priced, and I always receive plenty of compliments!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Stevens, Pennsylvania
“Maybe the food is good, but we'll never know.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We visited on a Sunday Morning. We were seated right away. After about 15 minutes and a full cup of coffee (given to us by the hostess) the waitress finally came over to take our order. We all ordered pretty average breakfasts. My friend we were with ordered scrapple. Well, after about another 10 minuted the waitress came over and said since he order scrapple we would be waiting a while. Why wouldn't they just bring the rest of our food while they cooked the scrapple???? The people seated next to us arrived, ate. and payed before our food came. We saw a piece of the scrapple, it wasn't even very large!! Finally after an hour my friend got up to voice a complaint, after the waitress rolled her eyes she went into the kitchen to check on our order and POOF our food came out! At that point we were all fed up, through some money on the table (for our coffee) and were leaving. The manager came out, full of excuses about the size of their grill blah blah blah. Enough with the excuses. The grill is big enough to make eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, etc. Terrible!!

• Visited November 2013
rwalkr, Owner at Top's Diner, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
First of all, thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. As owner of Top's, I take all feedback seriously, whether positive or negative. That was actually me that came out to try to explain the situation to you, not one of my managers.

Any meat DOES take longer to cook than say, 2 eggs and hashbrowns. Unfortunately, however, I believe you misunderstood where I was going with the explanation of the size of my grills. Over the past few months, with my competition closed down the road, we (Top's) have been one of a very few restaurants open for breakfast. This has caused us to be overwhelmed during breakfast hours. Plain and simple. My grills are not big enough to handle the temporary increased influx of business. And when close to 100 people get seated in a short period of time (we filled up quickly that morning), some do end up waiting. We have tried the "send the food out before the rest of the food is ready", but end up displeasing the guest then as well... which is why we inform you ahead of time that one item or another may take longer, giving you the option to say "send everything else out first". If you don't request it, we try our best to just send everything out at once.

It became quickly apparent when I was trying to explain to you the whys and whats of why your breakfast was taking so long, that you were understandably frustrated and didn't seem to interested in my explanations. That is why ... to save us both ... I just resigned and said thank you and walked away.

I am sorry that you had to experience this on one of our painfully busy weekend mornings. Just this week our competition opened again for business, and to be honest, I am glad. It's not that we don't want the business - we just aren't equipped to handle that type of influx all at once. People were suffering, and it is more important to me that when we ARE open for business, we can readily / quickly / efficiently handle the business.

Rick, Owner
Rockville, MD
“Great homey diner near Juniata College”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Took my son, a JC student, near before driving him back home. Fries to die for, great service and real diner atmosphere, and easy on the wallet. And it's right on US 22, so easy to get back on the road.

Visited November 2013
rwalkr, Owner at Top's Diner, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
So glad you enjoyed your visit to Top's!! We love it when Juniata College students come in to eat! We do our best to maintain "mom's level of quality" when it comes to feeding them!! Stop in again sometime!
York, Pennsylvania
“Good but Very Slow”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

There are few choices in the area and this is a good value. The food is very good with large portions. The kitchen is very slow. More people waiting for food, then eating.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
rwalkr, Owner at Top's Diner, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to send us your review, and thank you also for classifying our food as good. We try to maintain that "homestyle cooked food" that our guests like so much rather than revert to instant and frozen. As for the slowness, may I ask when you were actually in to visit? If it was the weekend, then the slowness is more a matter of lack of kitchen space than it is slow workers. I call it the snowball effect. We get as many tickets started on our grills as we can. Any tickets that come in after that unfortunately have to wait. And on the weekends, being one of the few diners open any more, when everyone shows up at once, it is guaranteed that SOMEONE is going to be waiting a while for their food. We try to warn people up front when we get to that point. Now if the slowness happened during the week, I really need to know about it because I would like to see what happened. What day and time were you in, and what did you order? I appreciate EVERYONE's feedback, good or bad, and take everything seriously. I can't fix it if I don't know it's broke! Thanks again, and please get back to me with your responses. ~Rick, Owner