“Agreat place to stay for a golf trip” 4 of 5 stars

The Mill Stone Manor Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   11979 William Penn Highway, Huntingdon, PA 16652   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Huntingdon
Baltimore MD
“Agreat place to stay for a golf trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We have been staying in this area for over 20 years for our anual golf trip. The Mill Stone Manor is centrally located for the golf courses that we play.
It is also close to TOPS Dinner (great for breakfast) and Hosses (great for dinner).

We have stayed here when it was under other ownership and the property has improved each year that the new people are here.

I am a railroad fan so the train whistles over night don't bother me. Ear plugs are provided for those who are not fans.

The price was very reasonable and the room was a good value.

I will stay here next year.

This is the first year with a flat screen TV and a flock of TV statios.

I couldn't get the free Internet to work; but, my PC has some strict corporate firewalls and security.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the first floor if you are elderly like me.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bath, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one evening this week. I don't thing I could have handled another night.
The main problem with the hotel was the mildew smell. I smelled it at the front desk area, but the smell was even stronger in our room. Even though it wasn't hot, I put on the air conditioning, hoping it would circulate the air and dissipate the smell. It didn't. Even the next evening, my clothing smelled like the mildewy hotel room. The room itself looked very clean, and it was clear they must have recently remodelled the place. But this could not overcome the STRONG smell that was coming from somewhere.
Then, there were the trains going by, all through the night, blowing their whistles. We wondered why there were earpulgs provided when we checked in. It didn't take us long to figure out why.
This hotel could also use a new morning front desk clerk. She wasn't actually at the front desk when we came in for the complimentary breakfast. Instead she was wrapped in a blanket watching TV. She totally ignored us, not saying a word, as she continued to watch TV. The front desk clerk when we checked in the previous night, however, was very polite.
The complimentary breakfast wasn't much of a breakfast. There was only regular coffee (no decaf) and while there were tea bags, there was no hot water. Perhaps it was the job of the blanket-wrapped front desk clerk to make the coffee and water? We ended up going somewhere else for breakfast.
We stayed here because all the other hotels in the State College area were booked for the evening. I would NOT stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Avis, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I’ve stayed at this motel a few times in the past, but that was before I joined the Tripadvisor community, so I won’t comment on those experiences. However, I recently stayed in Early August and was presently surprised by the changes. I read on the motel’s webpage that they were doing remodeling to the rooms, and they sure did. My room was nice, clean, and had no smell whatsoever. The bathroom is a bit on the small side (shower only, no tub), and there was no micro/fridge....at least not in my room. The air conditioner is not one that you would find mounted near the floor under the window. Mine was clear across the room from the entrance and mounted on the wall. Also, it’s important to note too that the controls for it are on a separate remote control, not the unit itself. But, it appeared new and worked well.

Although the staff in the office are extremely friendly, there is no staff after midnight, and even though a number is provided to call, I’m personally not comfortable with that kind of policy. Oh, and if you want ice, there is no ice machine, but individually bagged chunks of ice are available in the office. But, remember only until midnight.

The wireless internet was okay, but I kept experiencing signal loss, which can make offering such an amenity worthless.

Like other members have commented, there is a very active railway across the street, and even though the motel provides complimentary ear plugs the noise from the trains can be annoying, regardless.

As the title of my review suggests, I would only recommend this property if others in town are full.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are clean, smell fresh (I don't know what the other reviewer smelled but I smell no smoke ) and look like they have been recently remodeled. I stayed here the night before a fishing trip and the lady on the office was beyond nice, recommending a great local place to eat. The room rates were very reasonable.and had great Direct TV service. Stay here and enjoy.

• Stayed July 2012
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed here for 3 days during the Fathers' Day weekend in June, 2011. Figured it was a little strange to find 2 pair of earplugs on the nightstand. If you are a light sleeper you will find out why they are provided. A train track is located across the street from the motel, and long coal-carrying trains are rumbling by every 1/2 hour or so. The rumbling isn't as disturbing as the fact that the "whistle board" is located directly in front of the motel. This signals the engineer to blow the horn. So, every train is obligated to sound its horn a number of times as it approaches a grade crossing nearby. An attached restaurant to the motel is closed, but a good diner is located a short walk away. The facility is clean, wi-fi works well and tv reception is clear, but if you have trouble sleeping this is not the place to be.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed at the motel for the Alabama game. Even though the game wasn't impressive, our stay at the motel was excellent. We've stayed there for a few games the last couple years and were over-joyed to see all the changes they have made. The rooms have always been super clean and had everything we needed, but they have changed the furniture and decor since our last stay, and got new flat screens which makes it over the top. For anyone looking to save some money by staying outside of State College- I certainly recommend this motel!

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard double- but asked the front desk if we could see the suite for future games...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We went to Huntingdon to do mountian biking and relaxation. MIll Stone Manor is a great place along Route 22 in Huntingdon. Newly remodeled, very clean, Friendly staff. The towels were very large( I am guessing, 4 to 4.5 feet long) and really soft..........no need to bring extra towels! Yes there is a train across the street, behind some houses, but I did not hear them while I was asleep. The staff was very accommodating to mountian bikers, we will definately stay there again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mill Stone Manor Motel? Share your experiences!