“Nothing else available?” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Huntingdon
Avis, Pennsylvania
“Nothing else available?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I’ve stayed at this motel a few times in the past, but that was before I joined the Tripadvisor community, so I won’t comment on those experiences. However, I recently stayed in Early August and was presently surprised by the changes. I read on the motel’s webpage that they were doing remodeling to the rooms, and they sure did. My room was nice, clean, and had no smell whatsoever. The bathroom is a bit on the small side (shower only, no tub), and there was no micro/fridge....at least not in my room. The air conditioner is not one that you would find mounted near the floor under the window. Mine was clear across the room from the entrance and mounted on the wall. Also, it’s important to note too that the controls for it are on a separate remote control, not the unit itself. But, it appeared new and worked well.

Although the staff in the office are extremely friendly, there is no staff after midnight, and even though a number is provided to call, I’m personally not comfortable with that kind of policy. Oh, and if you want ice, there is no ice machine, but individually bagged chunks of ice are available in the office. But, remember only until midnight.

The wireless internet was okay, but I kept experiencing signal loss, which can make offering such an amenity worthless.

Like other members have commented, there is a very active railway across the street, and even though the motel provides complimentary ear plugs the noise from the trains can be annoying, regardless.

As the title of my review suggests, I would only recommend this property if others in town are full.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Manchester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

The rooms are clean, smell fresh (I don't know what the other reviewer smelled but I smell no smoke ) and look like they have been recently remodeled. I stayed here the night before a fishing trip and the lady on the office was beyond nice, recommending a great local place to eat. The room rates were very reasonable.and had great Direct TV service. Stay here and enjoy.

• Stayed July 2012
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed here for 3 days during the Fathers' Day weekend in June, 2011. Figured it was a little strange to find 2 pair of earplugs on the nightstand. If you are a light sleeper you will find out why they are provided. A train track is located across the street from the motel, and long coal-carrying trains are rumbling by every 1/2 hour or so. The rumbling isn't as disturbing as the fact that the "whistle board" is located directly in front of the motel. This signals the engineer to blow the horn. So, every train is obligated to sound its horn a number of times as it approaches a grade crossing nearby. An attached restaurant to the motel is closed, but a good diner is located a short walk away. The facility is clean, wi-fi works well and tv reception is clear, but if you have trouble sleeping this is not the place to be.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

We stayed at the motel for the Alabama game. Even though the game wasn't impressive, our stay at the motel was excellent. We've stayed there for a few games the last couple years and were over-joyed to see all the changes they have made. The rooms have always been super clean and had everything we needed, but they have changed the furniture and decor since our last stay, and got new flat screens which makes it over the top. For anyone looking to save some money by staying outside of State College- I certainly recommend this motel!

Room Tip: We stayed in a standard double- but asked the front desk if we could see the suite for future games...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We went to Huntingdon to do mountian biking and relaxation. MIll Stone Manor is a great place along Route 22 in Huntingdon. Newly remodeled, very clean, Friendly staff. The towels were very large( I am guessing, 4 to 4.5 feet long) and really soft..........no need to bring extra towels! Yes there is a train across the street, behind some houses, but I did not hear them while I was asleep. The staff was very accommodating to mountian bikers, we will definately stay there again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2011

We came to Huntingdon to visit one of my friends, family. We decided to stay at the motel since there were 3 of us. We all enjoyed our stay and would choose this place again. We were told they had remodeled the rooms, which they must have because ours looked nice.

We also went to Top's Diner since it was right down the road for breakfast and it was good, too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I almost never write a negative review but this hotel experience was the worst I can ever recall. Our "nonsmoking room" absolutely reeked of smoke. I woke up at 3am sick to my stomach from the smell. Could it have something to do with the fact that the manager and all the cleaning ladies smoke like chimneys?! The next day we went to the store and purchased a room air freshener to help with the bad smell.

I also give bad marks for the impossibly thin bath towels that could not possibly go around a normal sized adult human being all the way. If you must stay here, you should bring your own bath towels. Use the hotel towels for a bath mat instead of the paper bathmats that are provided.

On the bed side table were two small items that I initially thought were chocolate or mints. On closer inspection, they proved to be ear plugs. These come in handy for sleeping because the freight trains on the other side of Route 22 come barrel through all night long, blowing their train whistles.

Personally, if I ever visit the area again, I would sooner stay all the way in State College than return to this motel. In fact, I would sooner sleep in my car.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a smoker friendly, pet friendly hotel, and don't mind the noise of freight trains in the night, this motel could be an OK choice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Mill Stone Manor Motel? Share your experiences!