“Housekeeping too busy checking in guests” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30% this Summer
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Horsham
Jersey Shore, PA
“Housekeeping too busy checking in guests”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Travellling for business, I usually use another chain, but due to location, I reluctantly stayed at this hotel even after reading the reviews. I should have used better judgement. The grounds and parking area are well maintained and well-lit, but that is they end of the rave reviews.

When I checked in, there was a nice man working behind the desk, but he was overwhelmed. There were three of us waiting to check in and he was taking care of an issue on the phone. Just when we thought that it would be forever to get into our rooms and relax, a housekeeper popped up from a chair in the back area of the check-in desk and began checking us in. She knew exactly what to do and if she had any questions, would yell back to the man on the phone. What disturbed me most is that she was wearing gloves and I had to ask her to remove them before she touched my key. I have stayed at more hotels then I can count in my life and I will offer one piece of advise for this hotel...Work on check-in process. No traveller (business or personal) wants to be checked in by housekeeping and then find dirt and stains in there room ( I won't even go there; others have said quite enough). Take an example from other chains and independents. Check-in should be personal and engaging. Talk about the area and the amenities, use the guests name, and show genuine gratitude for their stay, not complain that they are overwhelmed and doing a job that isn't theirs.

Also, just a tip. If you get a room above the side exit, get a different room immediately. I woke up in the middle of the night several times to the smell of smoke. Guests and employees have an ashtray outside the door and as they blow smoke, it gets sucked right into the AC units above. My room smelled aweful, but with a 8am meeting, I wasn't changing rooms in the middle of the night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
CWOpsMgr, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Hello Mattnat

Thank you for commenting on your stay. We are truly sorry that you did not enjoy any aspect of your stay. Also, thank you for the suggestions you offered. Unfortunately there are times when our staff may get busy performing the various functions needed to complete their work. But customer service is always at the top of the list. Please accept our sincere apology that you had to experience these issues at check-in and during your stay. Also, as we strive to make sure our guests completely happy, please bring the issues up to the staff and/or management so that we can make the necessary changes to ensure you are happy with your stay. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
East Haven, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was not impressed. The room was musty. The floor in the kitchen was sticky. The tub was dirty. I cleaned the floor. It was a very dirty. Took three cleanings to get it clean enough to walk on. I have had this experience at Candlewood in the past. I did not call for house cleaning as they don't know how to clean. I did not want to go find another hotel after a long day. I will be hard pressed to stay at a Candlewood again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
CWOpsMgr, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Hello LUDS96

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I am so sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. In the future, please notify us that your suite is not up to par. That gives us the opportunity to correct any deficiencies that may be in the room. We would be more than happy to make accommodations for you in another suite here at the hotel if the problem can't be fixed. Again, thank you so much for leaving your comments and letting us know about your experience. Have a great day.
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was disappointed with my stay. I needed a hotel that was pet friendly. This was one of the only properties in the area that was pet friendly. I looked at the reviews and was hesitant to book. I should have gone with my first instinct. The grounds are wonderful, nice paths and well kept areas. Too bad the housekeeping doesn't follow their example. A bucket and mop need to be used in all the non carpeted areas. I was disgusted when we spilled water on the kitchen floor and used a paper towel to clean it up. The towel was black. The bathroom floor was no better. I'm sure only a vacuum was used for several weeks. The hallways were dirty too. In the small suite was a reclining chair. At best I will call it threadbare. When we arrived I moved the chair and found an empty vodka pint under it. Obviously housekeeping had not vacuumed under the chair. I hope you get the picture of this property.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rerricker

Thank you for the comments you left about your stay. It is unfortunate that these issues occurred during your stay. In the future, please make the hotel staff aware of any issues or deficiencies in your suite, or anywhere in the hotel, so that we have a chance to fix the issue prior to your departure. This gives us the opportunity to ensure you are happy with your stay. Again, thank you for your comments. Have a great day.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed from 05/13 to 05/21. (8 days). The room was cleaned on the 7th day of my stay. Every hallway and my room had a suffocating cigarette smell that was impossible to clear out. The bedding is shabby, torn and worn and unattractive. Rugs in halls and room are dirty. Elevator is dirty. Bathtub, dirty or so worn that it just looks dirty. Ashtray outside of entrance was left full of cigarette butts for days...I would not stay again nor recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
CWOpsMgr, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear ScStern

Thank you for your recent stay with us. Also, thank you for taking the time to leave comments regarding your stay. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay. I am really sorry we were not able to provide accommodations that were up to your standard. We strive to provide quality hotels and excellent service. Again, thank you for your stay and have a great day.
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on my way to the Bucks County dog show. The room I got came with a refrigerator, stovetop and microwave. It's nothing fancy but convenient when you have to keep foods cool etc. The outdoor walking facilities were great. The grassy field was clean and mowed which is important when traveling with animals that have to be kept clean and neat. The dog walk area had to be at least 1.5 acres with doggy bags available. It is located next to the parking lot which was great because you could load and/or unload quickly after a potty break. This hotel is in an office park so there's not much noise or busy traffic around. Restaurants and a supermarket are no more than a five minute drive away and the highway is nearby as well. I had no trouble with the room nor with the staff. The stay was pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
CWOpsMgr, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Hello Whiteva

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us at the Candlewood Suites, Horsham. We really appreciate the kind comments you've shared about your stay and the helpful information you've posted for anyone interested in visiting us in the future. If you are in the area please come back to see us again. Again, thank you and have a great day.
Far Rockaway, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I contacted this hotel to inquire information about group booking for my up coming wedding in October. Mr. Tim Potter the sales representative for the group booking contacted back after I left him a voice message. I explained to him I was looking to book about 8 rooms, I also explained that some will be "SHARING" before I could finish the rest of my conversation he cut me off and stated that this may not be the best location and I should look into there sister properties. The tone of the conversation changed and he went from how can I help you to very unhelpful. He quickly reminded me that their property only have queen size beds which I already aware because I research the hotel before contacting him.

I explain to him I totally understand they only have queen beds, but they have suites that offer a max of 4 people to a room; which is 1 queen bed 1 bedroom suite. At this point of the conversation, I had to remind him that I felt he was not being very helpful once I stated they will be "Sharing". I asked him can he just provide me with the information for group booking for the dates in question, he quoted me the general going rates of each room, I asked him what are the benefits of group booking he stated the rates are usually cheaper. If the rates are cheaper why are you giving me the general going rates for the room....his response was that all that's available. I felt like someone was playing a joke on me on the phone.

Before ending the conversation by telling Mr. Potter that I felt he was being very unhelpful and not really trying to supply me with information needed for group booking. His response was, we only have 24 queen 1 bedroom suites, and they may not be available. I looked at my phone very confused and just told him thanks but I will not be using Candlewood Suites for any future booking, if this is how you are treated when you call to gather information for group booking.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
CWOpsMgr, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello LQStokes

Thank you very much for your interest in our hotel. I am sorry you feel that you were not given the best service and/or information when you called. Our sales department has always been very good at providing excellent service to our guests and clients and it is disappointing to hear this was not the case this time. We would love to have your group in our hotel. If you are still interested in our hotel for your event please feel free to contact either the Front Office Manager or the General Manager for details. Again, thank you for your interest and have a great day!
baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

It is not 5 star but it doesn't try to be.
If you are just looking for a clean inexpensive place then this is a fine choice
I see a number of negative reviews especially regarding the staff. I had no trouble. Check in and out were fine, I needed another pillow and picked it up from the desk. Not exactly alot of interaction but everybody was pleasant to me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horsham
Days Inn Horsham/Philadelphia
Extended Stay America - Philadelphia - Horsham - Dresher Rd.
Hampton Inn Philadelphia / Willow Grove
Residence Inn Philadelphia Willow Grove
BEST WESTERN Fort Washington Inn
BEST WESTERN Fort Washington Inn
#2 of 3 in Fort Washington
3.5 of 5 stars 178 reviews
SpringHill Suites Philadelphia Willow Grove

Been to Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove? Share your experiences!