“We loved everything, but...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Horsham
Smyrna, DE
“We loved everything, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend, and absolutely loved our suite. FIRST, I need to note that the first room they gave us had a broken a/c, but we were immediately given another room, identical to that one. It was immaculate, and had everything you could ask for! Fridge, stovetop, microwave (we found a great glass dish and free bag of popcorn!), toaster, dishwasher, dishes, silverware, garbage disposal, you name it! The work desk was huge. The bathroom was enormous, and had NICE, thick towels (what a welcome change from most other hotels!). The entire room was spotless. The a/c was ice-cold and very quiet. We loved the "cupboard" downstairs, a cafe-type area where you can fill out a "grocery slip" and drop it in a box, and just take whatever you want, it gets billed to your room later (they use an honor system, which is so nice). There's also a free laundry area (supplies are not free), and free gym room.

Now for the drawbacks. We couldn't find any beds bigger than a queen (assuming because this is considered a "business" suite hotel, most customers are probably businessmen traveling alone?). My husband and I are both tossers and turners, so we did not have enough room, and both got miserable scraps of sleep both nights. We also are not fans of those stupid micro-bead pillows that are all the rage right now. They're hot in the summertime because they wrap around your head and face (which also made breathing a fun event), and I needed three of those suckers just to feel supported. PLEASE offer some plain pillows, Candlewood!

Other than the bed (and the awful lack of sleep, which left us both feeling horrid), we LOVED the place. It was about 30 minutes north of Philly, so it was away from the traffic and crowds, but close enough that we could get into the city each day without a long haul. We'll definitely come back if we can find a king size or two doubles next time!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Candlewood S, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor!

We really appreciate the kind remarks you have about our clean and spacious rooms, and the many amenities that the Candlewood Suites has to offer. At this Candlewood Suites location we only offer queen size beds, but we do have another room type which is our One Bedroom Suite that has a queen size bed in the bedroom area and a separate living room area with a sleeper sofa that may be more accommodating for you and your husband. We also have a pillow menu which allows you to call the front desk and ask for either feather or foam and we will switch your pillows to your preferred preference for you. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. Hopefully you will be able to come back and visit us again!

Thank you!

Tim Potter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Hollywood, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel over the weekend. This is a cosmetically pleasing hotel which went thru renovations in the past year. When we walked in to check in there was not a non-smoking room available but we were willing to wait for one to be cleaned. Upon entrance to the hotel room there was a strong food smell (curry) and there were no towels in our room. The front desk delivered towels and air freshener. When we returned after an exhausting family event, to get the kids settled, there were no sheets for the fold out bed, so back to the front desk for them. The kids were settled into bed and when we turned off the lights, there were buzzing noises around us. We turned on the lights and there were no less than 10 outdoor bugs including flies, lightning bugs and mosquitos. Assuming that they snuck in the open window (presumably airing out the room due to strong smell) we smashed all we could see and tried to go to sleep. Within five seconds, I felt something creeping around on me. I promptly delivered my pillow with a creepy crawly critter to the gentleman at the front desk who profusely apologized. He offered to do whatever I wanted, not being inclined to wake up/pack up all the kids, we moved to the third floor to a very clean room where I couldn't get the heebeejeebees to go away... The next morning, I went to the front desk to ask for my receipt and was given a $20 discount for my dissatisfaction!!! Later, they reduced all the charges, but I will not be staying there again and neither should you!

Room Tip: No pool. No restaurant. In the middle of a business park.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Candlewood S, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at the Candlewood Suites – Willow Grove. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so please contact me at timothy.potter@ihg.com . We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Willow Grove.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

Internet came and left... Constantly! This was going on all day. They did not feel responsible for the situation.
Aggravated my spouse a great deal. It is quite far , so location is not an advantage .no breakfast offered. This was important as we left early.

• Stayed June 2013
Candlewood S, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that our internet service fell below your expectations. Since your stay with us we have contacted our internet provider and they have performed a system test and have fixed the problem. While our hotel does not serve breakfast in the morning we do have breakfast items for sale in our Candlewood Cupboard.

Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to the opportunity to serving you again when you are in the Willow Grove Area.
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

They did a great job on the remodel of this hotel. Rooms clean & spacious . Bed very comfy. But th AC unit was very noisy. That needs to be the finish of the remodel. We had a bad odor of cigarette smoke in our non smoking room on a non smoking floor! We had to open the wind & run AC to get the smell out, and it was there ech night. Don't take room 228. Unless you don't mind the odor. When I told the desk, they said they would look into , never heard a thing from them. We stayed 3 nights . Ended up burning candles fr the odor. We figured it out.....or AC unit is just above exit where the smokers hang out. Intake f AC waos pulling it into our room.
So other than that, the stay was nice, they even let us in fr an early checkin.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near exits .
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Candlewood S, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us and for the wonderful comments about the space, cleanliness and the remodel of our rooms. We would like to apologize for the smoke smell that the AC unit pulled into your room from the smokers below, we are going to move the ash tray to a different location so that this problem does not occur again.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.
fresno
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I should have been more careful and paid attention to the star rating and the previous negative reviews. Not sure where I was supposed to see this, but there is no maid service here, unless you stay 7 days. There was not sufficient towels and sheets in our room, and we are supposed to change everything ourselves and come down to the desk to ask for more. When we did that, the main desk did not have any more for us when we checked in, or until the afternoon of the second day of our trip. The rooms were spacious for the price, and the workout room/lanudry/sundries shop was nice. The regular bed was comfortable. The pullout was not comfortable. The pullout was not too good, and the sheets very rough, so much so that we could not sleep on the pullout and actually slept in the reclining chair. We asked for sheets that were not so rough, and they didn't have any. The towels were very rough too, like a floor mat. There was some noise from outside, because the walls and floors were very thin.

The floors in the room and throughout the hotel were very dirty. It was absolutely disgusting. There were stains, paint, and all kinds of unknown things all over the carpets in the room and hallway. The tile in the entryway to the hotel was not only dirty, but there were even DRIED BLOOD ON THE FLOOR. It was not cleaned. Like others noted, the hallways were really stinky -- stunk like msg so bad it actually burnt my nose and eyes. I dreaded walking to and from my room. I really didn't want to leave my room because the smell was so bad to get downstairs and out of the hotel. It was really bad on the 3rd floor where we stayed. I don't think this was from lingering cooking because it was the same all the time -- night, morning, afternoon. Thankfully you couldn't really smell it in the room. If you are really looking for value and you are willing to overlook some things, then this place might be fine for you, but really there are several things here that clearly show why this is a 2 star hotel. I gave it a rating of 2, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised -- a 2 star hotel probably deserves a rating of 2.

Room Tip: not on 1st or 3rd floor -- didn't check 2nd floor, maybe that would be ok
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank You for taking the time to review our property. I'm very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I want to assure you Candlewood Suites Hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in the Candlewood Suites Hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. Please contact me at 215-328-9119 or email me at timothy.potter@ihg.com so that I can obtain additional details regarding your stay. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Willow Grove.

Seville, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in April 2013 as we were in town for business. The hotel was clean and the rooms were great. Plenty of space, and a great deal of space to work, which was important to us. We really liked the convenience store, fitness center, and laundry setup. The WiFi was great, albeit a tad slow for our liking.

Everyone on the staff was very friendly and went out of their way for us. The manager gave us shuttle service just beyond the limit so we could pick up our rental car, and one of the other staff members helped shuffle rooms so we could stay an extra night in the same room.

The only problem we had was with some teenagers across the hall. They were definitely into some shady things, and were using the hotel as a base for the weekend. There was one fist fight and quite a bit of noise during one of the nights.

I can't complain though, since we did nothing about it and it's no fault of the hotel or staff. A neighbor came out and threatened to call the police, and they were generally quiet after that.

We would most certainly stay here again, and recommend it as a great base and place to work from if you're in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Candlewood S, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative about your comments about our friendly staff, clean rooms and the large work space in our rooms. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge us.

Pampa, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

They are like being in your own home, they have free laundry usage & also have a gym that is for you to use. They staff are real friendly & helpful. If I am ever back in Horsham than I hope that there will be a room for me here. I recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a place to stay whether over night or for any length of time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Candlewood S, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor!

We really appreciate the kind remarks you have, and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you back to Horsham!

Thank you!

Tim Potter

Been to Candlewood Suites Philadelphia / Willow Grove? Share your experiences!