“Can't Wait to Return” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Holicong
The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm
You added The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm to your Saves list
5281 York Rd., Route 202/263, Holicong, PA 18928   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Holicong B&B and Inns
Applegate, Oregon
“Can't Wait to Return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

My husband and I are just returned from a weekend at the Barley Sheaf. I hesitate to review it as I would like to keep this lovely Inn a secret all to myself, but I also want the Inn to stay in business for many returns in the future. From past reviews read it seems the Inn had some shakey beginnings after coming under new management and a fire in 2004. Our experience speaks loudly that all is under control and in good order. There is not one unplesant comment I can make about our two night stay. Our room was impeccable and furnished with elegant care and a thoughtful mind for near every whim of the guest. From high-end Bulgari amenities (shampoo, lotion, etc.), delectable cheeses, snacks and wine, to a plate-full of homemade delicious cookies and sumptuous chocolates surprisingly left in our room, we were felt to be welcomed and pampered throughout our stay. Staff and Management were efficient, warm and attentive to all our needs. It is a rare property that both my husband and I are anxious to return to, and the Barley Sheaf is one of those gems.

• Liked — Inumerable to mention just one
  • Disliked — Having to leave ....
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2006

We stayed at the Barley Sheaf as part of a wedding party that was having their wedding at a nearby inn. Although we felt that the rates were high for the area, we nevertheless booked our reservation based on the pictures and descriptions they posted on their website, which conveyed the image of a high-end, luxury inn. I telephoned the inn several months in advance and requested one of the rooms which was described as a duplex with a whirlpool bath. Although the woman I spoke with indicated that the whirlpool bath was not yet completed in the room, she made no mention that the first floor room of the duplex would be completely under construction and locked, which I felt was very misleading. Although the room we stayed in had elegant furnishings and had its own charm, it was tiny with extremely low vaulted ceilings that made us feel claustrophobic after spending more than 5 minutes in the room (and we're used to small spaces - we live in a 500 sq. ft. Manhattan apartment). I also note that we paid the same price as another set of friends who had a full bedroom, living area, bathroom and patio area. When we mentioned this to management, they said that since the rooms were connected by adjoining doors, we could have simply shared the space with them by opening the door! The point was that we paid the same amount for a significantly lesser quality and smaller room.

Additional friends who also stayed at the main house at the inn were extremely disappointed as well - plumbing problems (no running water during certain periods of their stay) and for the prices we paid, we felt cheated.

Breakfast was simply inedible. This overall experiences was extremely disappointing, as the exterior of the hotel, the dining room, the gardens and its location were lovely. Although the hotel discounted our stay due to our complaint and was gracious about the situation, we would not consider returning to this inn.

• Liked — Beautifully decorated, charming atmosphere
  • Disliked — Misleading website, small, cramped accomodations
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2005

At the outset, this place is under construction, and you are not told that when you make your reservation. As such, be prepared to walk out from your room to view a garbage dumpster or stacks of bricks. Despite not being fully finished, the property charges full rates. The outside of the property is in general disrepair. The interior rooms are beautiful, but the outside of the property is unkept. Dead bushes, piled leaves, and empty planters. Not quaint.

What infuriated me was the owners's general lack of concern for our comfort. I arrived expecting a romantic weekend (at $350 per night). I made special requests for a quiet, private room to celebrate a special occasion. Imagine my surprise while sharing a bottle of wine with my wife in our room on Friday night, a small child started screaming. Apparently, the room next to ours was booked for a couple with a baby. The child's screaming and slamming of doors was relentless. Upon complaining Friday night, the owner, "Christine" said there was nothing she could do, somebody mistakenly booked the room and allowed a child. I was told I could "leave" if I wanted! This was my "getaway" weekend, I did nothing wrong, and I was told that I could leave at 7:00 at night with no place to go. Having little choice I stayed, and at no time over the entire weekend did anyone check to see if we were ok, or offer to move us to another room, or offer us anything as a result of their mistake. My wife took the time to fill out their questionaire when we left, setting forth the problem. There was never a response. Total lack of attention by management.

Management apparently does not care about repeat customers. Be warned.

• Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2005

We had stayed at the Barley Sheaf several years ago and loved the way the previous owners treated guests like family and took pride in making the Inn as comfortable as possible. On our last visit we felt as though the Inn had lost its warmth and charm. Not too impressed with the food or the overall appearance. This is a B&B we will not be returning to.

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2005

We were no strangers to the Barley Sheaf Farm and we were looking forward to another romantic weekend in a quaint country like setting. Sorry to say we found nothing of the like. The charming Country Inn we so loved to stay at has changed itself into a pretentious, formal and stuffy (for lack of a better word) Bed and Breakfast. Not only have they drastically raised the prices but in some cases they actually doubled their rates. This is fine if you are actually getting your moneys worth. The breakfast was fair, not really what they described it to be. The Inn itself could have been cleaner and certainly the Staff could have been more attentive.What we found was the Innkeepers took a once very lovely Inn and filled it with very oversized and cold pieces of furniture that were not at all welcoming. Some advice to the Innkeepers would be to bring back the old charming Barley Sheaf and rid themselves of the new overpriced, overfurnished,pretentious Inn. Sorry to say we won't be back.

• Stayed June 2005
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

This was our third or fouth visit to the Barley Sheaf by September 2004. The Seusses, who were the innkeepers, have been living in California for the last few years and had left the place to another "host" couple, who weren't exactly your Bed and Breakfast type of hosts, but tried very hard to please. The landmark B & B was up for sale, in any event. We had a terrific time though. The pool was just wonderful and private -- and we had it all to ourselves. We thought we were in heaven.

By September of 2004, we were SO DISAPPOINTED to hear that the Barley Sheaf was on the market. It was bought by the owners of a neighboring farm,,,,,in order to keep the builders away from such a pristine piece of land -- and most importantly, a historical landmark. The Marxx Bros. vacationed there frequently in their hey day, as the estate belonged to George Kaufman.

In October of 2004, the new owners were diligently working on the place and bringing in all sorts of antiques, Ming Dynasty beds and such. The new owners were putting these huge pieces of furniture imported from Europe into rooms that were way too small. A spa was even in the works. Romantic suites, but too high to reach for the alarm from a Ming bed and you needed a step ladder to get in and out of it. No dresser drawers to put your clothes in. We actually ended up putting our clothes in a china cabinet,,,,,which,,,,I don't know why it was there in the first place! Fine for a vacation in Europe, but not for Bucks Co. There were workers all over the place painting and repairing while we were shelling out money to relax. The new owners, in my opinion, were taking what we loved, and molding it into a place that we just didn't find relaxing,,,,,as far as the suites go. Sometimes its better to leave well enough alone.

Which brings me to THE FIRE in October of 2004. One of the workers was stripping paint from the walls, as the story goes, and a massive fire broke out destroying the upper floors of the main building. Every fire truck from every township was there.

As far as I know, the Barley Sheaf is still closed due to renovations and will be reopening shortly. The grounds are lovely, but make sure that you ask about the bed and the accommodations before you commit yourself to any special room. You DO want to be comfortable now, don't you?!

The breakfasts in the main house are lovely. I personally can't wait to see what they've done with the place, and it is so nice to have fireplaces and kitchens, and even your own private deck to relax on and watch the deer run.

We still love this place, and even with the glitches, it is one of the best places In Bucks County and close to New Hope.

• Stayed September 2004
VT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2005

I grew up in Upper Bucks County and I return a couple of times a year to visit friends. When my wife travels with me we like to stay at the Barley Sheaf Farm. The rooms are nicely appointed with wonderful views of the farm. The grounds are beautiful either in full bloom or snow covered. The common areas are warm and friendly and they serve a nice breakfast. My wife and I enjoyed a late night dip in their swimming pool on a hot Summer night. Veronika and Peter Suess are gracious hosts and work to make your stay a pleasant experience.

I'm a bit bias but I love the location. Just minutes away from Lahaska and New Hope, two places full of antiques shops, restaurants, and specialty stores all within walking distance of each other. New Hope is situated along the Delaware River on Rte. 32, an old winding scenic highway that parallels the river. A beautiful drive! It's also not too far from Philadelphia if you wanted to spend the day in center city visiting museums, the liberty bell, independance hall, and other historic landmarks the city has to offer. I enjoy my stays Barley Sheaf Farm and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Been to The Inn at Barley Sheaf Farm? Share your experiences!