“One of the worst hotels I have stayed in” 1 of 5 stars

Hershey Travel Inn
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   905 East Chocolate Ave., Hershey, PA 17033   |
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
PriscillyGirl
“One of the worst hotels I have stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my husband after a family trip and the next morning we woke up with bed bug bites. I also did not feel safe there. It's true that they have a good low price but it's not worth it at all.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
New Haven, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

I generally like to support local business, so when I saw this place was a little bit more pricey than the chain hotels, I figured it would be a reasonable, if not comparable place to stay. However, when we arrived, we found the place was dirty, poorly maintained, very small and even misleading. Putting the luggage (one bag) in the room made it impossible to walk from the bed to the bathroom. There were cobwebs and dirt all over the carpet. The bathroom was moldy and dirty. We opted for a queen bed and received a full sized bed. This does not even fit my partner. Furthermore, the mattress is very old, and wobbly, and certainly not worth the $140+ dollars we paid for it. We approached the business owner and he immediately attacked us verbally, claiming that 1000s of people have slept on this bed and have not complained it is too small. Therefore, it can't be the wrong size. Then when we asked what we could do to cancel our reservation, I was told we could walk out, but still pay the price. When my partner asked what the reasoning was for this, the owner turned, looked at him and said, I don't want to even speak to you, you are not my guest. Turns out, only the person with the credit card charges matters here.

I suggest that you don't stay here. Surely there must be nicer locally run/owned places in Hershey to place your money. This place is a rip-off and you are certain to be treated without any respect at all.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

An absolute hole. The kind of place you'd expect the State to send paroled murderers and child molesters as a sort of half way house. Half way to what, I can only guess. Pubic hairs on the towels, holes in the walls, dust everywhere, and my son found specks of something brown in the sheets on his bed. We walked. Stopped by the office to tell the "manager," and he totally flipped out, starting calling us names and generally was unwilling/unable to participate in a civilized dialogue. Big surprise. If this was a Taliban AAA recommended stop on the road to imminent slaughter, fine. Here in the civilized world, we have standards, and this place is the biggest pile of feces I've ever had the displeasure of setting foot in in my entire life. One positive note: Apparently it's possible to completely furnish a hotel by picking up furniture from other peoples garbage.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

After I booked, I read all the negative reviews and was pretty taken back but I thought I shouldn’t get swayed by what people say I must give them a chance and see for myself exactly how they are. I am so glad I listened to my heart. This is a Family owned operation and they have treated us so very cordially we felt completly at home. The building is old but the room, bathroom, kitchenette, patio and furniture’s were spotless. Housekeeping came in on time and we had clean towels and sheets. It was truly a wonderful experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

As a travel professional, I have the opportunity to visit properties with different star ratings. This property definitely earns a one star rating, possibly one half. The property is in need of some serious updates (paint peeling, dirty feel and look), box springs were torn, floor was sticky, beds were less than comfy, reviews were accurate. I would recommend taking the money you would spend here and investing in a better property, there are two next door that would warrant a better look and feel. Definitely not worth the money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hershey, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stay in what they call an "apartment" for all but 350 dollars a WEEK and some how they seem to charge us around 425 a WEEK. The room was basically size of regular hotel room, but had a VERY small oven, sink, microwave, full fridge that is dirty, and table. Got into room at 11 at night hoping for a nice bed to sleep, burn holes throughout blanks, rough blankets, and pillows stank. Two poles in the middle of the room, fridge was dirty, oven is so small couldn't even fit a pan in it and close the door, phone was horrible crackled WHEN WORKED! when it did work, it would cut in and out, have to bang phone against wall to come back. And PEOPLE UP STAIRS WERE THE MOST LOUDEST PEOPLE I HAVE EVER LIVED UNDER. You can hear ever foot step, ever word, ladies phone was on VIBERATE and you can hear it perfectly down there. Pounding on the ground from 6 in the morning to around 12 at night, and would start up at 6 am every day, their childern were outside all day, being very loud, yelling and screaming consinetly. Water only got hot, and VERY hot, burnt my hands a couple of times. Couldn't even get fresh air into room, windows painted shut and way out dated. Carpet has burn holes everyway. The door to come into room doesnt fit door frame, it was very hard to open the door and to pull very hard to open. And locking the door? there is two locks, and the littlest one works. Air conditioner doesnt get cold, and knobs are on right. Tv was blury had to bang on that to get it to work also. The toliet doesnt flush have the time, the lid on the back of the toliet is broken. Black mold under sink, disgusting! Shower has chips and dings all through tub, tub doesnt hold water. Fan in bathroom doesnt work. They give you disgusting dishes, and not even washed. Its whatever people leave here. Not sure what they use for heat in the winter, there is no thermastat or anything. Floor in the "kitchen" was so gross. Lights take like 10 mintues to come on, out side is a sensor light, or so what they call it, you have to walk by it like 5 times for it to come on. I had my cousin visiting from college, and she came around 7 at night left around 2 am, and the next day we went up to get the deposit we put down for the other apartment because we desided to leave after 3 nights, and they told us that they were charging us 75 dollars because we had visitors! They asked if she stayed the night and we said no, which was true she left at 2 am, and they said that, that was spending the night and it would be a charge for her staying there, because visitors only cant stay 1 or 2 hours. Don't understand where they get the right to charge you for having people come over and hang out. Dont supply you with extra towels or clean room. We used our towels cleaning up and asked them for towels and they said they dont supply them only toliet paper, which was the thinest toliet paper i have ever used. No hair dryer, iron, soap, nothing! Everything is OUT DATED! We had found a cat and took it in for A NIGHT and they saw it and told us to put it out or get out, and when my boyfriend went to talk to the guy he told my boyfring "This is why we don't rent to people like you" Which was VERY rude! He charged us ANOTHER 75 dollars for the cat. This place was a HUGE waste of money and disgusted me to the MAX. I would and will never recommend this place to no one. I am taking my business else where, never will i come back here, EVER.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2009

We booked this hotel for a one night stay in Hershey before our beach vacation. We knew we planned to be at the park all day, therefore we were just looking for a place to sleep and shower. After booking the hotel, we checked reviews on this site---and they absolutely terrified us of going to the hotel! Overall, the hotel was not as awful as some of the reviews make you think. The value is good. We got 2 rooms - one for my parents and one for myself & my boyfriend. Both rooms were equal. The room was not dirty, except for a few hairs in my moms bed. The beds were comfortable, there was an air conditioner, and the shower worked fine. The night we stayed the entire hotel was booked! The hotel is just old, if it was updated and kept cleaner it would be a much better place! It covered what we were looking for, but I would not recommend staying for more than one night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hershey Travel Inn? Share your experiences!