“never would have guessed this one” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
What If of Hershey is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 75 Restaurants in Hershey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary, Eclectic
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street Hershey
Dallas, Texas
“never would have guessed this one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Scheduled for a business dinner, i was told where to go for the meet. I pull in to a Howard Johnson's hotel ( HoJo's) from yester-year. Took a better look and there was What If in what appeared to be the lobby for the hotel. Hold on !! Keep going, you are at the right place.

Walk in, go downstairs......there is a real restaurant there. My dinner party was there and we were all seated comfortably.

A cozy place, good drink and the food is GREAT. A mix of seafood, some Italian and, of course, beef. The service was great as well.

I had the Filet with crab chunks and a crab cake...........I never would have guessed it, but this grub was GREAT.

Here's a tip for all that eat too much at the main course. for desert, get the cobbler with the vanilla ice cream. In case you didnt know, if you eat vanilla ice cream after a big meal, you will instantly not feel as full AFTER the ice cream. Go ahead....try it. Its got to be vanilla bean ice cream.

After everything was complete, I must say, I'll remember this place. A hidden gem.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I initially was taken to What If...by my parents for my birthday last year. It was phenomenal. We had the baked brie and the lollipop lamb chops to start and I think some type of meatballs. The Brie and meatballs were fantastic. The lamb was good but they're tiny and were slightly overdone.

For the main course, my father and I had steak, my mother had the crab alfredo. She still raves about the crab alfredo. In fact, my parents are regulars at the restaurant now.

For my birthday this year, I asked them to take me back. I have the veal chop which was great - it was a huge portion and even more delicious warmed up the next day. I also had the peanut butter profiterole which was great and ginormous. Our waiter was Austin - and he was very personable and charming.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Delicious!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

We went for our anniversary dinner. The food and service was absolutely amazing; the steak and crab was the best I've ever had. I will definitely go again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Definitely a great choice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My girl friend and I were looking for a good place to have dinner after running the marathon on Sunday morning and spending the whole afternoon at the park, after looking at trip advisor's ratings we decided to try "the what if" because of their overall good reviews and also because it is one of the few places that opened on Sundays, when we arrived I have to admit we were both a little moody, we were starving, we were greeted by a very friendly and polite waitress (Laura I believe (Lora?)) she had a smile on her face since she introduced herself until we left the place, I ordered a filet with crab meat on it (best I've had in a very long time), my friend had a salad and a Brie appetizer and she was as happy as I was, we skipped dessert since we were extremely full but hopefully next time we are in town we will have room for it, I'm sure we won't be disappointed!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Another Excellent Meal - Best in Hershey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Last year while in Hershey we heard about What if...Hershey. We had an excellent meal...my best ever in Hershey. What a gem...a great restaurant. It is located in the basement of the HowArd Johnson's motel. Go figure.

We started with the crab martini. It was ordered by one of the four of us. I was not in the mood for crab, however i was told it was tasty.

I started with the wedge salad with prosciutto and blue cheese. It was an excellent choice. I would say the prosciutto was more bacon like.

For dinner I had a fish special...crusted Halibut. It was excellent and same with the accompaniments...which I cannot remember two weeks later. My wife had the Cioppino which was excellent. Our friends had steaks which were reported as very good. The 8 oz filet came thick and pink with a nice crust.

Loved the bread with its hard exterior crust and moist inside.

We had a couple of glasses of the house Cabernet with dinner.

Loved the meal. After many meals in Hershey over the years, there really is not a better meal. Ran about $50 per person with tip.

We will return next year when we visit.m

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere