“Despite other reviews, our room was perfect !!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Super 8 Hershey

Save Saved
You added Super 8 Hershey to your Saves list
Super 8 Hershey
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   210 Hockersville Road, Hershey, PA 17033 (Formerly Red Carpet Inn Hershey)   |
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
tunafan2
“Despite other reviews, our room was perfect !!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed here for 1 night June 26. Had originally planned to stay for 2 nights but due to obligations at home, had to cut the trip short. The desk manager was very polite and refunded the 2nd night with no problems. We stayed in corner room on bottom floor. Room was VERY CLEAN and large. Family visited us for dinner in our room and with a total of 7 people in the room we still had ample space. Room had 2 queen beds, table and 2 chairs, large dresser, sleeper sofa, TV, frig, microwave. Air conditioner worked perfectly, in fact we had to turn it down it got so cold. Bathroom was VERY CLEAN. The tub was so clean that I was able to soak in the tub. Rate was perfect ($75 a night). Location is great. We were worried after reading the other reviews but, honestly, I have no complaints at all.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Ashland, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Perhaps. The room was very dim, wasn't all that clean (the floor heat register had cobwebs all over it), the bed was lopsided, the desk was in rough, rough shape, and heck, the carpet wasn't even red! The ceiling was sagging, had stains all over it. But it did include a minifridge, and the water pressure: woah. I think I still have welts on me from showering. It was cheap, but it should have been a bit cheaper for what it was. I guess it's okay for one night if you're not spending lots of time there. But I'd suggest somewhere else... sorry, Red Carpet Inn!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

We selected the Red Carpet Inn for a post-Hershey Park place to stay. Overall, this was one of my least favorite hotels that we have stayed at. Here are the highlights.

PROS

Low cost (we paid $54/night which includes tax)
Great location (about 2 miles from Hershey Park)
Refrigerator and microwave in room

CONS

The place is dingy, dark and has a run-down feel to it
The room had an unpleasant/musty smell
Stained rugs
Generally clean room, but some things were noticeably dirty (dirty hand marks on doors, dirty windows)
Rough towels (and not enough of them)
A rock HARD bed (I slept like crap)
Only 2 pillows (1 per person)
No blankets (just sheets and an uncomfortable bedspread)

My final appraisal of this hotel is this: if CHEAP is your main objective, it's okay, esp. if you can tolerate a really firm bed. But otherwise, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

I stayed here a while ago (2007) with my husband and 2 daughters (14 and 12 at the time) We were looking for a place to stay for good value because we were on a budget. We stayed here for 3 nights. After a 8 hour drive down there we pulled up to it and were frightened by the outside appearance. The parking lot had a few cars. We were glad that the police station was almost right across the street. We had booked a 2 bed room. We went into the check in office, and were told that all the 2 bed rooms were booked. So we had to settle for a 1 bed room with 4 people we had to have 2 cots. We weren't about to switch hotels as it was late, we were all quite tired after a day of travelling and the other hotels were full. We went to our room which was on the bottom floor. Had to wrestle the door open and were hit with an awful smell that smelled of urine and mould. The room was quite small, only big enough for a double bed a small non-working fridge and a colorless TV. The carpet was old and oddly sticky so we kept our shoes on. We tried to turn the air conditioning on to air-out the room but it didn't work. We were lucky that we had bought an air freshener for the car that was way too strong so we were about to throw it out but found that it worked quite well in covering up the odour so that we werent constantly gagging. The sheets we yellowish with age and had some mysterious stains on them. The tub was mouldy and the taps were leaking, The base boards along the bathroom we also moulding. The toilet was not flushed either. There were water marks on the ceiling and some mysterious brown stuff dripping down over the fridge area. When we finally convinced ourselves to stay (there was nowhere else to stay and with 4 people and a small car sleeping in the car was not an option) we spent most of the nigt trying to clean up the room to make it tolerable. My 12 year old dropped her stuffed animal under the bed and when I went to retrieve it for her I found a half dranken juice bottle that was so old, the juice was no longer liquid, it was solid! We tried to open the windows but they were jammed and the screens on the outside were ripped and torn. There we dead bugs everywhere and spider webs/cob webs on the ceiling and windows. I doubt whether the bed sheets were changed/ washed. We slept on top of the sheets covering our selves with car blankets that we had. What was quite odd was at about 11:30pm when we were all asleep, we were awoken but an odd buzzing sound coming from the corner I had to climb over everyone to see what it was because of the room being so small and with 2 extra cots for my kids it didnt help. It turned out to be the phone, it was so old that it didnt ring, it made odd buzzing sounds. I answered it and it was the front desk telling us that they had an open room that had 2 beds. We declined as we were already settled in. But come on, you don't call people at 11:30pm to tell them that! I had taken pictures of the room but I can not find them right now. I would recomend this hotel for someone not travelling with children and someone travelling on a budget. Good price but we were still charged for a 2 bed room.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
CT/NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2009

My bf and I booked this hotel (the cheapest room we could find) for the first night of our visit to Hershey PA so we could book a really nice Jacuzzi suite elsewhere for the second night--trying to save money and all. Well, I have never seen a room like this. 'You get what you pay for 'is right! There was garbage under the bed including a cigarette butt, the room was ridiculously small, there was spackle on the wall that never got sanded down. I am trying to remember other specifics but basically it was the most ghetto hotel room I ever hope to see. The plus side is they gave us discounted tickets to Hershey Parks and it is close to all the action.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Bay Shore, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

Remember the Bates Motel from the movie Psycho? Well, that's what we were calling this place. Scary isn't even the word.
I checked with Trip Advisor on August 3rd & the hotel sounded like a good value. My sister & I were only staying there for one night, so we booked it. Unfortunately, even though a month would go by before our trip, I never rechecked Trip Advisor. That's a mistake I won't be making again. If I had seen the reviews that were posted after we booked, we would have changed our reservation.
There are pictures on Expedia and other sites that depict a nice hotel. Don't believe those pictures for a second. They're obviously very old photos taken the day after a paint job.
When we pulled up, we almost did an immediate U-turn. The only reason we drove in was because the other cars in the lot were decent and we knew that except $400 a night places, everywhere else in Hershey was booked solid.
Like another reviewer said, the stairway to the 2nd floor shook and every step we took scared the daylights out of us. There was a puddle at the top of the stairs that my sister had the unfortunate luck to step in & she slipped through the stinky, green slime. The floor in that spot was so weak from being wet for so long that it bowed and she thought for a moment that her foot would go right through.
Walking to our room, we passed windows with torn screens, not just ripped, but actually partially torn out like someone had tried to remove them (I wonder if they were clawing their way in or out of the room). The whole upstairs smelled. I don't know if it was from the green slime or what, but... yuck...
As for our room itself, mold, mold and more mold: smelled of mold; mold on the shower curtain; moldy sink faucets; mold in the air conditioner... It was so bad, that there was even mold on our soap!!! Yes, the little soap wrapped in paper was moldy.
There was about a quarter of an inch of dust on the walls and window sills. It was so bad up towards the ceiling that you could write your name in the dust and cobwebs.
There were two doors leading outside, one of which didn't close right. They had it blocked with a table, but a whole lot of good that would do. We secured the door the best we could, but if anyone knew about the fault in it, it could possibly be opened.
We booked a room with two double beds. We did get two doubles, but they were in separate rooms (1 with the bad door). There was no way we were sleeping in this place in separate rooms. Also, there were no blankets and we weren't about to ask for them - who knows where they'd get them from.
We told the front desk there was no way we could stay there due to the mold & requested our money back. They immediately obliged without even batting an eye. We thought we’d be in for a fight, but they didn’t even give us a chance to tell them all our other concerns.
We ended up finding a room at the Days Inn, Grantville (Rt 743 just off of I-81). It’s a little out of the way, but not too far. The Days Inn was very clean and had all the amenities. They treated us like family & continental breakfast was included. It was a little bit of a drive and $10 more a night, but well worth it. We were in a safe, clean place for the night and that's all that matters.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2008

This was the worst motel I have ever stayed. The first room that we were booked in was the absolute worst! We walked into a room that smelt of urin and mold. The curtain was off the rod. After we compalined, we were given another room, and this one looked and smelt a little better, but by then we were sceeved out; we were afraid to sleep for fare of bed bugs and such, even though we did not actually see any. There are so many other nice places to stay in Hershey, pick some where else.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 Hershey? Share your experiences!