“As dismal as reported” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 24 hotels in Hershey
Indianapolis
“As dismal as reported”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My daughter and I thought this place was pretty creepy. It is kind of cute/quaint from the outside, but a real dump, once you check in. Our room was in the home to the side of the property. We had to call maintenance as soon as we arrived, because there was water all over the bathroom floor. The decor was really tacky, bedding really cheap and stiff. MATTRESS was a rock. Place was memorably BAD.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
eliwhitney, Front Office Manager at Simmons Motel and Suites, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
It is awe full funny how these people came here in August 2012 and spent the night and now they are putting a bad review up on TripAdvisor. I have checked with all my staff and there where no complaints of water being on any floor, Furthermore, they would not be put in a room like that in the first place. If this lady thinks this place is creepy she must think her house is creepy, we are located in downtown Hershey and we must keep our buildings up to date and code. Meanwhile, they wait until now to complain.

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was a little nervous about booking after reading some of the reviews, but we loved this place so much, I just have to gush a little about it! We made reservations for 4 adults and 2 teenagers for the PIAA Basketball Championships (yep, we won!!!) for a 1 night stay. We rented a 2 bedroom apartment, which was actually the first floor of a house next door to the motel itself (I believe it was 8A). The front room is a bedroom with 2 queen beds (very comfy beds, I might add) and tv; there is a full kitchen with table and chairs, nice sized bath and bedroom in the back with a queen bed. The place was spotless and the price was more than right. It was so much more than we expected for the price! It is within walking distance to quite a few restaurants, drug store and shops. The grounds feature a very nice above ground pool, well kept landscaping, and very friendly staff. The free coffee in the lobby next door was a wonderful added bonus! We are already planning a summer trip and will definitely stay here again. We just couldn't find anything about this motel that we didn't love!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed here for one night so that we could take our kids to Hershey Parks Christmas Candylane and to The Day out with Thomas event on Sunday in Lancaster. We arrived at the hotel early and the owner was very nice and let us check in early. Our room had 2 rooms and a shared bathroom. The rooms were not fancy but they were clean. The only problem we had was that the breaker went off when we plugged the microwave in but it was 11 PM and when I went into the office the young man was very nice and it was back on in minutes. The hotel has a great location to walk to Hershey Park and the Factory even with small children. The hotel is significantly cheaper than the one across the street. It is a good place to stay to meet your basic needs. It has a "home" feel to it not a "luxury" feel to it but if it did it would cost way more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
eliwhitney, Manager at Simmons Motel and Suites, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your posting on tripadvisor, however we do are best to give top quality service to our guests. furthermore we have been owned by the same family since 1957, we treat our guest with the same utmost respect as our 90 year old owner Mary.
Groton, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

First off, we arrived late around 8:30pm so the "house keeper" apparently is the one that checked us in and told us that "Pet Fee" was included in charge we were quoted. So we thought all was set...boy were we wrong. When we went to leave the next morning, the "owner" said that he was charging us $100 for sneaking in our dog....which we clearly did not do and we stated the person that checked us in knew we had a dog. He continued to argue with me and tell me that I did and that the person that stayed next to our room complained our dog barked all night, our dog barked for 1 hr while we went to the Hershey Chocolate World. I will allow him to talk about that but to sit there and tell me I did something wrong when I clearly was not told I couldn't have a pet is insane. All he worried about was the person that complained and how they will leave him feedback about their stay...guess he didn't think that my feedback about my stay was worth anything...that's a shame. Lastly, he told me no worries I won't charge you any fees and gave me my receipt. Well, well I go to check my credit card today and guess what he sneaked a $50 fee onto my bill without telling me. Who is the "sneak" now?? So I hope that for anyone that decides that this is a great place to stay to think again and go with a nicer, friendly hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
eliwhitney, Front Office Manager at Simmons Motel and Suites, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
I am not sure why these persons are saying my staff was rude however, I do train my staff to treat people with the utmost respect like they would want to be treated. Moreover, it is posted on our web site that we no longer allow pets in our motel, we have had pets cause a lot of damage being left in rooms and not being caged or taken with the owners. Furthermore, when guests come to check in we have it posted no pets and it prints out on their statements about no pets and that if they sneak their pets in they will be charged on their room a $100.00 cleaning fee, the rooms with pets have to be cleaned for persons that have pet allergies. We have cameras posted through out the property and we can se when guests are sneaking in pets or other persons.
Negaunee, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

There are so many things that we did not like with this motel & our room. Yes, it was one of the least expensive motels in the area, but certainly not worth what we paid for. First of all, the room smelled like urine. Not all the outlets worked in the room. The refrigerator smelled horrid of mold. The air conditioner is held in by towels and smelled. The shower stall did not have anywhere to put your shampoo or anything so you had to lay it on the shower floor. The towels were very thin and had long hairs on them. The bathroom had a moldy, urine smell to it also. The bed was so close to the wall on one side that I could barely walk along side it. The furniture was very old and in disrepair. The door lock didn't work very well. The Wi-Fi worked off and on. The pillows were so flat it was very uncomfortable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Our motel is not for everyone however, if these guests had so many problems with the room why did they stay. Moreover, as far as the room smelling like mold and urine this statement is untrue because out rooms are cleaned twice a week with bleach to kill any mold spores. While some of our pillows are flat and they are for people that like flat pillows, all they had to do is coe to the front desk and ask for a pillow or two and they would have been given to them. However, we are a 55 year old family owned and operated business, our rooms and apartments are in converted houses a long main street in Hershey Pennsylvania. Our rooms and apartments have a homy feel to them not luxury and if guests every need anything during their stay all they have to do is ask and they will receive, Front desk staff is trained and curtious and treat our guests with the utmost respect.
Runnemede, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this motel a few times. Each time we were given the same room. We dubbed it "our room". The motel is basic, but given the price and location, it was all that was needed. I look forward to the next time we visit and hopefully we will get "our room" again!

Room Tip: They only provide soap in the showers, be sure to bring your own hair products and other soaps that...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you responce on tripadvisor, we like our guests to have a wonderful stay with us. Because of our location and how close we are to everything we want to further our guest stay and keep coming back to our Motel.
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our second trip to the Simmons Motel. I guess its ok if you want inexpensive accommodations in Hershey, where a room at the Hershey Hotel can cost you north of $400 and a room at a mid-level chain like the Comfort Inn is $200 or more. The location is close to the park and right on Chocolate Avenue so you are not far from good local restaurants that are better than the chains. Try the Chocolate Avenue Grill, which is only a couple of blocks away. The rooms are very spartan. It's like staying at your Great Aunt's house. The one who still uses the same furniture and linens she bought in 1957. The bathroom has soap but no shampoo. Weird for a motel in today's day and age. The place is nothing fancy. I mean it, you cannot get less fancy than this place. The upside is that we were able to get a "suite" with three bedrooms for our party of seven and everyone had a place to sleep. The cost was just over $200, and two rooms at any other budget motel in Hershey would have cost us at least $300 but probably closer to $400 or more. So if you want to save money on the hotel and spend most of your time at the park or Chocolate World this is an ok choice. Just remember this is a no frills place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Simmons Motel and Suites? Share your experiences!