“Hershey Swap Meet Favorite” 3 of 5 stars

Simmons Motel and Suites
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   355 West Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, PA 17033   |
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
Los Angeles, California
“Hershey Swap Meet Favorite”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I've been staying at the Simmons Motel for 20 years while others in my group have been there for more than 35 years. It's a family run collection of serviceable rooms where you can feel at home and still be walking distance to most everything in Hershey. There is a big negative concerning water temperature in the shower if everyone in the hotel gets up at the same time to attend the early October swap meet but that should not be a problem the rest of the year. Likewise setting a value on the Simmons is difficult when the whole area is set upon by visitor from around the world.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Paramus, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

In addition to being filthy, shabby, and noisy, this dump DID NOT HAVE 3-PRONGED OUTLETS with the grounding slot for modern electronics, so I could not charge any of my electronics--computer, phone, etc. Person living (?) under my room was smoking, which did not help. Very creepy location right next to an abandoned industrial property. Doors very unsecure. Outdoor walkways smelled like pet urine. Felt like I was in my grandmother's apartment in 1950, only worse.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Palmyra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My experience with Simmons Motel has been wonderful! I always stay at Simmons because it is a great value and you can't beat the location! Walking distance to many restaurants and to Hersheypark and Chocolate World!! The rooms are always clean and the staff is very friendly & helpful. I recommend Simmons Motel to all my friends & family and we will stay there for years to come!

Providence, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

My family and I came to Hershey, PA to visit family friends... In the past we stayed with my wife's in-laws however due to other arrangements we needed a hotel room. My wife had been looking for places for us to stay in downtown Hershey and had decided to book at the Simmons Motel. We checked out the website and the pictures were appealing and there was a friendly, warm ambiance. From what it appeared....

We pulled into the Simmons Motel, with a reservation, last weekend. The first sighting was a loud, arrogant man smoking and screaming at one of his employees. The tone of his voice scared my daughter that when he asked us if we were coming to stay at the motel my daughter started to cry. My family and I were standing at the desk and could hear the man screaming on his cell phone and swearing and then he came in and checked us in and was friendly.... and jittery. My wife and I were disappointed with the first impression however we decided to just tough it out because we came to Hershey to see our friends.

We entered the room... the sheets had hairs on them and there were stains on them, if that wasn't disgusting enough, we walked into the bathroom to find towels that were used before that we were expected to use. The one hand towel had a brown residue on it. EVERYTHING ABOUT OUR ROOM WAS ABSOLUTELY UNSANITARY. There was trash in the trashcan from the previous people that had stayed in the room, the air conditioning did not work, the tv volume was weak and the room was dirty.

My wife and I decided we could not stay here and that we were going to go to the Days Inn across the street. I went downstairs to ask for a refund from the manager and he was no where to be found, I used the telephone to try and reach him and after calling 5 or 6 times he finally came to the desk... with a drink in his hand.

He started screaming at me and rambling off about 50 different things and making excuses for the dirty room. My family and I had been at the motel for less than 3 hours and he said that because we used the room we would be responsible for the costs. I told him we never used the beds and had told him about all of the disgusting filth in the room and he said he could put us into a different room. I told him I did not want to be in any room owned by this affiliation because it was unsanitary and he started swearing and hollering that there is no refund. So my wife and I had to pay the empty-headed drunk man over $200 bucks.

The motel is run by a CHINTZY business man looking for a quick dollar. Point blank. DO NOT GO HERE, YOU WILL BE SORRY. You are better off spending an extra 20 bucks across the street!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
eliwhitney, Manager at Simmons Motel and Suites, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
I am not sure why these people posted what they did on Trip Adviser, but we had no one stay here from where they say. How can they post a bad review when they did not even check in or stay here, being in the lobby for 5 minutes says nothing about our rooms and the cleanliness of them. I am the new Manager of the property I took over in July 2011 and I can gaurentee you our rooms are very clean and very nice like the pictures show on the web site. We are not listed on the Bed Bug Registry so that shows are rooms are very well kept and clean. saying the place should be condemed is crossing the line, Yes the building were built in the 1900's and they are old but they are very well maintained. As far as the owner goes he has not yelled or cused out any customers at all. We treat our customers with the utmost respect and dignaty that they deserve and we provid the top quality customer service.

The Manager of Simmons Motel and Suites Hershey, PA
Thomas Christopher
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This motel is the most disquisting place I have ever seen. The room was filthy, smelled like urine and the comforter had brown/blood stains. The carpet is the old shag type and is very filthy. The refrig/microwave were gross and were dirty. Upon arriving, the male desk clerk was hanging outside smoking with a buddy and did not give us a comfortable feeling at all. Creepy. They tell you that they offer breakfast, which if you call breakfast a brown skinned banana and some type of cookie, along with orange juice that was still sitting on the "breakfast table" at 2 pm.; you go right ahead and eat it..Hershey Medical Center is close by! I seriously would be afraid of catching bedbugs or some other type of contagious disease as this place is extremly run down and filthy. We left and did not spend the night. Five minutes at this "hole" was enough. It needs to be condemned.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room. This place is horrible.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sharon, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

There may have been a time before the Internet when you could buy a few houses, put up a "vacancy" sign and make a lot of money.

This doesn't work anymore; now folks can find out about you in advance. I'm not a hotel professional but have these opinions:
- sheets have to be clean and new. Mysterious stains are disgusting.
- there can't be long human hairs in the towels. Wear a hair net while working.
- insecticide is your friend.
- don't have meetings in the parking lot where you criticize the cleaning staff. Your guests know already because they have the Internet.
- charge 25% the Days Inn across the street instead of nearly full price.

Sasebo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I made the reservation four months in advance over the phone. Got the feeling the girl wasn't too bright so I called back two days later to confirm and found out she had the dates wrong. The day before our reservation, I got an email saying they couldn't hold my reservation because credit card didn't go through. Called them and found out that the girl who took my reservation got the expiration date backwards!!! Guy told me he would shuffle things around and be able to accomodate us. Got there the next day and found out it was all booked and the guy couldn't figure out who I talked to. Five minutes into the conversation the guy realized that he was the one who talked to me! Tried to set us up in another hotel, but the rooms weren't great and no pool. Ended up wasting three hours trying to find another place and I ended up spending about two hundred bucks more than I wanted to. I am in the military, stationed in Japan and planned this way in advance, only to have these people screw it up. Also sent them an email hoping to get it to the owner, not sure what happened to that but they never emailed back to apologize or nothing. I do not recommend this place at all!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Simmons Motel and Suites? Share your experiences!