“Great Value!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
Palmyra
“Great Value!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My experience with Simmons Motel has been wonderful! I always stay at Simmons because it is a great value and you can't beat the location! Walking distance to many restaurants and to Hersheypark and Chocolate World!! The rooms are always clean and the staff is very friendly & helpful. I recommend Simmons Motel to all my friends & family and we will stay there for years to come!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Providence, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

My family and I came to Hershey, PA to visit family friends... In the past we stayed with my wife's in-laws however due to other arrangements we needed a hotel room. My wife had been looking for places for us to stay in downtown Hershey and had decided to book at the Simmons Motel. We checked out the website and the pictures were appealing and there was a friendly, warm ambiance. From what it appeared....

We pulled into the Simmons Motel, with a reservation, last weekend. The first sighting was a loud, arrogant man smoking and screaming at one of his employees. The tone of his voice scared my daughter that when he asked us if we were coming to stay at the motel my daughter started to cry. My family and I were standing at the desk and could hear the man screaming on his cell phone and swearing and then he came in and checked us in and was friendly.... and jittery. My wife and I were disappointed with the first impression however we decided to just tough it out because we came to Hershey to see our friends.

We entered the room... the sheets had hairs on them and there were stains on them, if that wasn't disgusting enough, we walked into the bathroom to find towels that were used before that we were expected to use. The one hand towel had a brown residue on it. EVERYTHING ABOUT OUR ROOM WAS ABSOLUTELY UNSANITARY. There was trash in the trashcan from the previous people that had stayed in the room, the air conditioning did not work, the tv volume was weak and the room was dirty.

My wife and I decided we could not stay here and that we were going to go to the Days Inn across the street. I went downstairs to ask for a refund from the manager and he was no where to be found, I used the telephone to try and reach him and after calling 5 or 6 times he finally came to the desk... with a drink in his hand.

He started screaming at me and rambling off about 50 different things and making excuses for the dirty room. My family and I had been at the motel for less than 3 hours and he said that because we used the room we would be responsible for the costs. I told him we never used the beds and had told him about all of the disgusting filth in the room and he said he could put us into a different room. I told him I did not want to be in any room owned by this affiliation because it was unsanitary and he started swearing and hollering that there is no refund. So my wife and I had to pay the empty-headed drunk man over $200 bucks.

The motel is run by a CHINTZY business man looking for a quick dollar. Point blank. DO NOT GO HERE, YOU WILL BE SORRY. You are better off spending an extra 20 bucks across the street!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
eliwhitney, Manager at Simmons Motel and Suites, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
I am not sure why these people posted what they did on Trip Adviser, but we had no one stay here from where they say. How can they post a bad review when they did not even check in or stay here, being in the lobby for 5 minutes says nothing about our rooms and the cleanliness of them. I am the new Manager of the property I took over in July 2011 and I can gaurentee you our rooms are very clean and very nice like the pictures show on the web site. We are not listed on the Bed Bug Registry so that shows are rooms are very well kept and clean. saying the place should be condemed is crossing the line, Yes the building were built in the 1900's and they are old but they are very well maintained. As far as the owner goes he has not yelled or cused out any customers at all. We treat our customers with the utmost respect and dignaty that they deserve and we provid the top quality customer service.

The Manager of Simmons Motel and Suites Hershey, PA
Thomas Christopher
NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This motel is the most disquisting place I have ever seen. The room was filthy, smelled like urine and the comforter had brown/blood stains. The carpet is the old shag type and is very filthy. The refrig/microwave were gross and were dirty. Upon arriving, the male desk clerk was hanging outside smoking with a buddy and did not give us a comfortable feeling at all. Creepy. They tell you that they offer breakfast, which if you call breakfast a brown skinned banana and some type of cookie, along with orange juice that was still sitting on the "breakfast table" at 2 pm.; you go right ahead and eat it..Hershey Medical Center is close by! I seriously would be afraid of catching bedbugs or some other type of contagious disease as this place is extremly run down and filthy. We left and did not spend the night. Five minutes at this "hole" was enough. It needs to be condemned.

Room Tip: Don't choose any room. This place is horrible.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Sharon, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

There may have been a time before the Internet when you could buy a few houses, put up a "vacancy" sign and make a lot of money.

This doesn't work anymore; now folks can find out about you in advance. I'm not a hotel professional but have these opinions:
- sheets have to be clean and new. Mysterious stains are disgusting.
- there can't be long human hairs in the towels. Wear a hair net while working.
- insecticide is your friend.
- don't have meetings in the parking lot where you criticize the cleaning staff. Your guests know already because they have the Internet.
- charge 25% the Days Inn across the street instead of nearly full price.

Sasebo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I made the reservation four months in advance over the phone. Got the feeling the girl wasn't too bright so I called back two days later to confirm and found out she had the dates wrong. The day before our reservation, I got an email saying they couldn't hold my reservation because credit card didn't go through. Called them and found out that the girl who took my reservation got the expiration date backwards!!! Guy told me he would shuffle things around and be able to accomodate us. Got there the next day and found out it was all booked and the guy couldn't figure out who I talked to. Five minutes into the conversation the guy realized that he was the one who talked to me! Tried to set us up in another hotel, but the rooms weren't great and no pool. Ended up wasting three hours trying to find another place and I ended up spending about two hundred bucks more than I wanted to. I am in the military, stationed in Japan and planned this way in advance, only to have these people screw it up. Also sent them an email hoping to get it to the owner, not sure what happened to that but they never emailed back to apologize or nothing. I do not recommend this place at all!

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

This is NOT an impressive motel at all. There were huge cobwebs underneath our bed and the microwave and fridge were next to the toilet. Gross. Who does that?! The girl who checked us in seemed bored and nothing seemed to really be clean when we checked in. I would not stay here again, nor would I recommend it. Do yourselves a favor and find something else. This place just doesn't cut it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Northampton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

My family and I rented apartment 4 in October 2010. We had a really nice stay at the Simmons Motel. The staff at that time were really nice and friendly. Our Apartment was kept clean and was nice and warm. It did have a serious problem with Stink Bugs. We returned for a trip to Hershey Park again with our children in August 2011 and rented suite 6. It was a horrid trip. We checked in the suite was not really what we were expecting by the description of it. Half of the room did not have power in it. We called the desk. A lady came down and didnt know where the power box was at. Then she finds it got the power on. The next day we were getting ready to leave for Hershey Park. I was picking up towels we used to tidy up a bit and the shower curtain rod fell off again and hit me in the back of my neck while i was bent over. So I went to the office no one was there. Found the girl from the office a few minutes later using a leaf blower in the parking lot. She let me know that they would take care of it. We come back to the room at 10:30 at night. I wanted kids to get showers after a day in Hershey Park and the water park. our curtain rod was gone, the shower curtain was laying in the floor. At this point my husband was upset. He went to the office where they told him we could either take a shower in another room that didn't get rented or they could give us that room for the night. They told my husband that they did not know what happened with the shower curtain rod. The manager or maintenance man was already in bed at 10:30. We took the other room. The beds were hard and difficult for us to sleep on. The room was NOT cleaned up while we were away only towels were replaced. There was someones hair clumped in the bathroom floor when we checked in which never got cleaned up. Our air conditioner did not work properly and even the maintenance man and manager told me our room was hot when they came to check if we had a chair in our room for some reason. I was very disappointed with this stay. I will NEVER take another trip to Hershey and stay at the Simmons Motel. Save your self the hassle and spend a few bucks more to use another hotel or motel in Hershey area. When we went to check out we waited about 5 minutes in the office with NO one there. My husband finally had to go find an employee to let them know we were leaving. This place is going down hill in my opinion. What a difference a year makes if you asked me a year ago I wouldve told you its nice for the price. Maybe good service only comes with Apartment rental? I really dont know and I wont waste a single penny more of our families money to stay at the at the Simmons Motel to find that out. Their Pictures are misleading. The pictures on their web site show the apartments in them. Not the Motel rooms or the Suites. If what we got was a suite I feel sorry as hell for the people in the regular motel rooms. Suites are supposed to be nicer then the common room. Next trip ill stay at days inn across the street from the Simmons Motel!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Simmons Motel and Suites? Share your experiences!