“Very clean, Great value !!” 5 of 5 stars

White Rose Motel
1060 E. Chocolate Ave., Hershey, PA 17033   |
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
rhode island
“Very clean, Great value !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2006

We traveled from Rhode Island to Hershey on August 6-9, and stayed at this motel. What a great experience we had. The staff is most friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and fairly new. The pool is also very clean and beautifully landscaped around it. The hotel is a short distance from Hershey park and also the Amish country. I would definetely recommend this cute little hotel !

• Liked — the cleanliness and friendliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2006

Just returned from two nights at the White Rose Motel and was glad we stayed there. After reading the reviews on trip advisor, I decided to book. I was nervous, even when we pulled up, but the staff at the desk were most welcoming. Our room (#24) was big enough for myself, my husband and our 3 boys (ages 11, 9 and 8). We brought a blow up matress for our third child and was able to get an extra sheet, blanket and pillow from the desk. The queen beds were a bonus as was the big refrigerator and microwave. Although on the main road, we never heard a car from inside the room. They make coffee on the first floor for guests which was nice, even though there is a coffee pot in the room. The pool was fine for the kids although we were not there long enough to enjoy it. The best part was the less than 10 minute drive from Hershey Park. You can't beat that or the price. To stay at a Hershey Hotel you would pay double. I would definately stay here again and recommend it to my friends and family.. The owners do a fine job of making you feel welcome.

• Liked — queen beds and refrigerator
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Lehigh Valley, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

If, like me, you are wary of independently owned motels, then you are in for a pleasant surprise at The White Rose. This family- owned and operated motel offers all the ammenities of a chain hotel but at a more afforable price. I spent two nights here with my husband, and two sons (ages 4 and 2). The room was recently renovated and comparable to any room at a big chain in terms of decor, furniture, and space. I especially liked that the vanity area was outside the bathroom. The large fridge and microwave both came in handy for travelling with hungry boys. Speaking of food: the one thing that the White Rose does not offer is a breakfast. So bring a box of doughnuts and some oj, or have breakfast out at a nearby restaurant. My family didn't miss the typical continental breakfast at all.

While my husband and two-year-old napped in the afternoon, my older boy and I enjoyed a dip in the very clean motel pool. The pool is surrounded by lovely butterfly plants, sunflowers, and queen anne's lace which provided a sense of calm and privacy. The parking lot of the motel is also adorned with charming plantings that gave the place a homey feel.

But that homey feel mostly comes from the family that runs the motel. They were so friendly, offering help with maps, dining recommendations, Hershey info., etc... And they didn't even laugh too hard when I asked for an ironing board on my vacation...which they promptly produced for me from the office closet...even the iron was of high quality and worked great!

I feel like I've discovered an affordable little family-friendly gem in Hershey (just a mile down the road from all of the attractions). I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — great accomodations at a reasonable price
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

We chose the White Rose based on the reviews from Tripadvisor.com (and the price). At first glance the hotel doesn’t seem like anything special. But, closer observation shows a hotel that is very clean, and well managed. This is an indication that a private ownership, that watches all the details will be a much better situation, dollar for dollar, than a costly international chain.
I recommend the White Rose, and can see why it is Hershey’s top rated hotel on this site.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

Fantastic Stay. Super Clean Rooms and Facitlites. Owners very helpful regarding tickets, dining and local information. Could have walked to Hershey Park. Fabulous Pool. Would stay again. Owners were very kind to our kids. Ignore all the negative reviews - this is the place to stay near Hershey!!!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

What a wonderful, quaint family run motel.

As with everyone else's comments about the rooms, I completely agree. They were spotless down to the tile in the bathroom. We have stayed at Hershey Lodge in the past and it too, is a wonderful place to stay and clean. However, for what I paid for 2nights three days, I would have paid that at the Lodge for one night.

As far as the one review were the "owners are rude" I totally disagree! They all were more than helpful, even when I didn't ask for help. They would pull out a map if we talked about a place to go or would ask in the morning as we walked by them, if we needed any coffee.

The pool is just like the room, spotless. in the pool and out and around it.

One note I would like to mention. This motel sits back off a main road and yet it is so quiet.

This was our first time here and we enjoyed it so much that we would definitely return!

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

I basically have two complaints:
1) The owner was so obnoxious, we decided to take our business elsewhere (across the street as a matter of fact) after the first night. She acted as if she was doing us a favor by letting us stay in her flea-bag motel. "I've been doing business for 20 years and no one's going to tell me how to run my hotel, now sign the paper and get out. Don't want the room?, then don't sign." She has no business sense or sense of fair business, I don't care how long she's been in business. Had she been a nicer person, I would have given her all three nights of my business.

Instead, we stayed directly across the street at the Fairway Hershey Motel. The gentleman at the desk was much more professional, appreciative of our business, and helpful. He proudly informed us that every room in his motel (again, the Fairway NOT the White Rose) had free wireless internet access (which came in very handy). Also, the indoor heated pool at the Fairway was pleasantly covered in a greenhouse-like facility in front of the motel, so it was very clean and shielded from the highway. When we were there, at least two other families were using the pool. The Fairway was cheaper too...it certainly wasn't a suite at the Plaza Hotel, but it was just as nice, if not nicer than the White Rose, cheaper by about $30-40, and served its purpose as a place to sleep while we enjoyed our time in and about Hershey.

2) As for the one night we stayed at the White Rose, we regretted it. Perhaps we were biased because the owner was so obnoxious I didn't even want to give her any of my money, but the motel is certainly nothing to rave about. I don't know what the other people on TripAdvisor are talking about. The pool was outdoors in front of the motel right on the passing highway (Rte 422). It was surrounded by an ugly fence which does little to keep it clean - and the pool and facilities were certainly not taken care of regularily. We never saw anyone using the pool while we were there (we stayed across the street the second and third nights of our trip so we could see).

As for the room, the furniture and bed were obviously old and not kept up. The bedding was badly ripped, and when we requested a replacement top sheet, well, the problems had already begun when we checked in, so needless to say, housekeeping never showed up with a replacement by the time we fell asleep the only night we stayed here.

The towels were thin and hard, the kind that you can't rub on yourself to get dry or you burn your skin. They only provided one soap which we had to move from shower to sink as needed. One packet of conditioning shampoo too.... One other thing that turned us off...my son found two dead flies in the bathtub when we got in - no big deal, but still, why didn't housekeeping catch this? I began to wonder if the owner put us in this room intensionally. Fortunately, we only spent a little time in the room since we were out and about at the park...but we checked out the second day anyway.

No review would be complete with at least one thing positive to say...and that would be the location. Everything is close in and around Hershey, and this motel was close too. Down the street was the "What If" restaurant (highly recommend it)...which seemed to be one of the only restaurants open after the park closes. Good food and good prices. Also, don't eat breakfast anywhere other than the Hershey Pantry, only two or three buildings over from "What If". This is probably the most popular (and well deserved) homestyle restaurant around. The prices were low, the portions were humongolungus (my 12-year old daughter's word choice), the staff was most friendly, and the food was delicious. We ate here three times in three days.

Anyway, don't stay at White Rose unless you have no alternative.

• Stayed June 2006
, Manager/Owner at White Rose Motel, responded to this review, July 7, 2006
This individual DID NOT STAY at the White Rose Motel. He called late at night, the night he was to arrive, and said he was in a car accident and couldn't make it. Ironically, the other party he was with, showed up and stayed the entire three days. Since he was in a car accident and couldn't make it, his room was released for the remaining two nights. This individual arrived the next morning and immediately started complaining that we don't know how to run a business because we charged him for the first night (ironically, the other party paid for his first room night).
He never stepped inside a room nor swam in the pool. Therefore, he didn't know:
-The Furniture in all rooms has been updated and is less than two years old.
-All rooms have refrigerators, coffeepots, hairdryers, microwaves, and DVD/VCR players.
-The bedding and curtains are two years old.
-The pool, which is surrounded by shrubs and flowers, has a brand, new liner.
Please go to our website and view pictures of our rooms, pool, and property.
The motel staff and this individual were both happy in the end.

Been to White Rose Motel? Share your experiences!