“The story of Milton Hershey” 5 of 5 stars

+1 717-534-8939
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 28 things to do in Hershey
More attraction details
Owner description: How did Milton Hershey go from bankruptcy to brilliance, transforming chocolate from a luxury to an everyday treat? How did he invent a community? Why did he give away his fortune? That’s the Hershey story.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Huntingdon Valley
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“The story of Milton Hershey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I love museums. This one focuses on Milton Hershey and his accomplishments - so it is probably a bit biased :) But it was still interesting to read about the chocolate process as well as the orphanage. While we did not have small children with us, it was geared to keep them entertained with many manipulatives and things for them to try diong (which we enjoyed doing as well!)

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Kira S

• Turkish first
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wonderful story aboout a great man!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I thought this was going to be a tourist trap type of place. We were so wrong. This is a wonderful museum with some great pieces of history about Milton Hershey they tell his story so well. The exhibits are laid out perfectly where more than one person can read about the exhibit. We will cretainly be going back.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank dsk723
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“If you're traveling with kids...this might be a little boring”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I'm an adult and liked the museum, but not sure if kids would appreciate it. It's a lot of pictures and small artifacts from Hershey's life in glass cases. I did luck out since it was not the busy season and so one of the gentleman that worked there gave me lots of information about the things in the museum. If you're traveling with kids, I would suggest going to the zoo or hershey chocolate world instead!

Visited January 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“This has so much potential”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We were not thrilled with the M. S. Hershey museum and were rather disappointed in the chocolate lab. We attended as part of a larger group and left feeling like we paid for (and were expecting) way more than pouring melted chocolate into a mold. Most of what was said about the science of chocolate I knew already and there was no historical element to what we did. We live in the area and have out-of-town guests all the time. We were hoping this would be something fun to add to our list of "go to" activities, but it was not. I would recommend Chocolate World (and their chocolate making activity), especially for those with children.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Must see when in Hershey PA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Most people have heard of Milton S. Hershey, the founder of Hershey Chocolate and the boy's orphan school. However, few know his personal and business details. This museum is located on Hershey's main street, with plenty of free parking. Admission is $6.50 for kids up to 12, $9.00 up to 61, and $8.00 for 62+. The information includes everything you would want to know about Hershey's early life, early failed business ventures, and his successful businesses and marriage. The displays include pleasant things, as well as unpleasant things such as violent strike actions that occurred at the chocolate plant. I thought I knew a lot about MS Hershey, till I toured this museum. Expect to take 2 hours to absorb all the info that is wonderfully displayed.

Visited December 2012