“Easter at the Lodge” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
LI , NY
“Easter at the Lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

My husband and I decided to book a week end in Hershey for the Springtime in the Park- Easter event. We very much enjoyed our short stay and the holiday was perfect in every way.

The Lodge was very accomodating and the staff were friendly and helpful. The Bell Services were wonderful. When i told them i had a bag full of easter basket stuff for my boys- they said they promised that it would not be lost or left in heat to melt. Everything was perfect when we arrived back from the park and retrieved our bags from the bell service station.

When we checked in at 11 am- they did not have a room available, as check in is at 4 pm. They took our cell number and we received a call by 1 pm saying that whenever we were ready- a room was available in the tower section for us. I specifically requested the tower and would always do so in the future. I believe the tower rooms have more of a hotel feel then the "wings" of the lodge.

The lobby is beautiful and has a very warm feeling with a huge fireplace and beautiful furniture all around for lounging. We ate snacks and breakfast in this area each day. The concierge staff was very helpful in the information they gave us. They helped us reserve tickets for the Hershey Bears and assissted us in other questions we had. We bought our tickets right through the hotel and were pleased with their service as well.

We went to the park on the first two days of our stay. The shuttle was great and very efficient. We never waited more than 10 minutes. The Lodge did seem very full, although I am thinking there were no conventions, as it was Easter week end.

The park was wonderful, although very crowded on Saturday before Easter. The weather was a glorious 75 degrees, so you can imagine how many people wanted to come for the first few days the park opened. The park was not as crowded on Sunday, easter day and I think that was because some people that came for the holiday were celebrating with an Easter brunch and came later in the day, and others did like we did and came in the morning for the opening, and then left early for easter dinner.

There was a Sunrise Mass for the holiday at the lodge.

Easter dinner... they had many options all day for a celebration. We chose to book the Chocolate Ballroom for a buffet dinner. My kids loved the many, many selections and the ability to go up to the omlet station and order on their own. they also loved the chocolate fountain which was scrumptious! The wait staff was very accomodating and helpful. The food was good and as I said before, plenty of selection.

There were many opportunities for the children to participate in Easter activities through out the week end as well. My boys wanted to spend as much time as they could in the park so we did not do so, but many children did and it looked like a lot of fun.

After dinner on Easter, the kids went to the pool. It was a bit crowded, but there were plenty of areas for us to sit and watch the kids. the life guards looked a little bored- but I believe if there was an incident- they would have become more alert. There were 1-2 on duty depending on the number of people in the pool. The exercise room is next to the pool and i did utilize the room before we left for the park on easter day. It opens at 6 am and there were 3 people in there when I arrived by 6:15. The quality of the equipment is top notch. All of it was Precor I believe. I f I was not so tired from the park I would have loved to use it again on the day we checked out.

My only concern with the Lodge- the sheer size of it! It took quite a bit of time to walk to the pool and exercise room and it is not a place I would let my pre teens walk to on their own. It was easy to get lost. Being that i wanted to be in the twoer- we were further away from the activity rooms and mini golf and such. So you have to pick your priority. The outdoor pool was not opened yet, but looked like a nice place if you were there in the summer.

The rooms were good. The beds comfy and clean. The bathrooms were very nice as well. It looked like it had been newly refurnished. There was a flat screen tv and a marble top dresser, plus a mini fridge and a cute little coffee pot in room.

I would defintiely do Easter at the Lodge again. I would also like to look into the Hershey Hotel just because I like to experience many different places. Going to hershey for easter was really, really a wonderful way to spend some fun quality time with the kids and family. You can make it just a fun trip, or you can make it more about family. it was up to you and there was so much to do. Next year I am going to try and convince my extended family to join us!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
new jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We thought check in was 4 pm.. or so we were told when arriving a bit earlier - we came back to the hotel at 4:30 only to be curtly told that we should have read the fine print on the email - that check in time is actually 5:30. After waiting - finally at close to 5:30 we were given keys (2 rooms) - close to $500 a night - we get to the rooms and the keys don't work. It took security over 30 minutes to bring us new keys. The new keys were fine for a day, but then the following day, they didn't work again. They advised there was a problem with their key system, but when we complained about having to wait for security again they accused us of possibly demagnitizing (all 4 keys) by possibly putting them in the wrong door or next to a credit card. In the end, the manager was accomodating and offered a small discount for our 2 nights waiting in the hallway but this was not a pleasant experience. Drain in one of the showers was broken, but we had two rooms so we used the other bathroom for kids baths. Staff were curt, unfriendly and definitely had an attitude - especially considering the price tag. We booked this hotel because our first choice was sold out - never again...

Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We had a wonderful vacation, once you park your car, the Hershey Shuttle service does the rest. It takes you to every activity (drops you off & picks you up) Most of the events are free if you stay at the Hotel or Lodge. We stayed at the Lodge. They had so many activities going on for the kids to participate in. My children did not want to leave. You get alot of pleasure for a reasonable amout of money!!

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We stayed for one night at the Lodge and the pictures on their website acurately portray the lodge. it is incredibly clean and well run. We used the indoor pool and the miniature golf course and game room. We received free passes to the Gardens and to the Museum both are worth a visit. We ate at the Bear's Den and loved it, not too pricey and easy to bring kids to.

Naperville, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

This is a classic family vacation spot and is a wonderful place to visit. Perfect for a long weekend or 5-7 day visit. Tickets to attractions can get expensive unless you pick special packages that are offered, so plan your trip accordingly - websites are easy to read and follow. Please do remember this is not Disney World. I think I would describe it as a "Small Town" settled in a "Small City". HersheyPark was not open, but there were other attactions to visit.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
new jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2010

Just returned from the Hershey Lodge.. It was great i don't know why people thought the staff was rude. When I was there Jim at the front desk was great, greeted me with a smile, and even brought me a cork screw, cause my wife forgot one. The rooms was clean and bed did its job. Housekeeping clean the room like they were cleaning there house, it was spotless. We ate dinner at Forebay. The service was great, Jose the bartender, and was the one of the nicest employees I ever meet. He told use everything about the hotel and you can tell he really loved working for them, it wasn't just a job. We will come back again and recommend anyone to go to the Hershey Lodge. The Hershey corp. is lucky to have Jim and Jose theses two employee's loved there job and made our stay great and this will annual visit for us...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

the lodge was awesome but the employees were rude. at the front desk, he had a snot attitude when i asked a question. like i was stupid or something. the woman at the gift shop was talking very meanly about the customer she waited on ahead of us. she did it out loud and right in front of us! the staff at the hershey grill wasnt much better. did what they had to do to get a tip and nothing more. our waitress gave us our drinks and bread then didnt come back until it was time to deliver our food, then did the same thing after we had our food. she came back after we were done eating and had been waiting at least 15 minutes for our bill. plus i had a $10 cheeseburger that had NO flavor. it was just hamburger, no seasoning, no flavor.
the lodge is a beautiful place just do your eating and shopping some place else.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hershey Lodge? Share your experiences!