“Great Day” 4 of 5 stars

Activities: Dining
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This amusement park was originally built as a recreation area for Hershey Chocolate's factory workers.
Long Island
3 attraction reviews
“Great Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We took my 3 year to Hershey Park and had a great time! One thing I really liked was the amount of kiddie rides. They seemed to be all over the park. I was also impressed with the overall size of Hershey. I have been to Disney/Universal a dozen times and I think Hershey is right up there in size.
We also enjoyed the water park. My daughter loved the wave pool. I usually don't do water rides (not into being in a bathing suit in public with other people who should NOT be in a bathing suit period!) but it was really hot! The water area was clean and refreshing. It was really what got us through the day with the heat.
I didn't have any problems with crowds most likely because it was a Monday. I also didn't go on any of the larger rides because I was there for my young daughter.
Another thing to note was the quality of the food. Much more choices than at Disney. It wasn't just the regular over priced hot dogs and burgers. Although not cheap the food was at least good.
We also did the Chocolate World 3D movie and tour. It was cool and I would have liked to see more there.
I plan on returning next summer for a weekday trip.

Maryland
“Wonderful family park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

I have been going to Hershey Park for over 30 years and still enjoy making a yearly visit, now with my family. Hershey has evolved over the eyars, yet much has stayed the same. The original entrance area has remained the same, with some of the smaller kiddie rides and shops, the middle section has been redone to include some newer large rides and the back of the park has the 100th anniversary waterpark and fair-like atmosphere.

One of the complaints I have about most amusement parks is the kid's section is almost always secluded from the rest of the park- forcing you to be with tons of kids and not providing much variety. But, Hershey has spread their smaller rides throughout the park. This enables the adult riders an opportunity to ride in between the kids riding. It just seems logical-to allow both age groups the chance to explore and find something along the way that suits their ability.

My family (kids aged 7, 11, and 13) now mostly rides larger rides and we have been pleased with realitively short lines. We tend to visit pre-season (May) and post-season for the Halloween in Hershey. I have never been at the park when the new water section was opened, so I can't comment on the lines or crowds.

I've been to my share of parks across the US and find that Hershey still ranks in my top two (along with Busch Gardens Tampa) for park appeal, ride selection, family atmosphere, and helpful staff. The daily ticket price is on the higher side- but I feel that it is worth the extra money for the quality of park Hershey is providing.

Pittsburgh
“Worst waterpark I've ever visited”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

Sooo disappointing. First of all, the only seating in the area are tiny sand chairs which are tied to each other. You are literally elbow to elbow with the person next to you, and you have to step over the feet of other people to get in and out, as if you were in a movie theater. And that's if you can even get a chair at all, since there are not enough. Then, we couldn't wait to get in the water since it was very hot, only to discover that everything is roped off and there are long lines at each waterplay area. When you finally get in, you get approx 15 - 20 mins to play and then you are whistled out by the lifeguards so that the next group in line can go in. I saw kids were crying while waiting in line because it was so hot and then crying again when they were told to get out. Also, twice throughout the days that we were there, July 29 and 30, they closed the main water area for "maintenance," while the other water areas were at capacity. There we were surrounded by water and yet unable to get in it. Later that day when we finally did get into the main area, which I think is called the Shore, while my daughter was playing I decided to sit at the edge of the water and watch her. Not a minute later a lifeguard came over and told me that I had to stand up, that sitting down was prohibited. What?! Total disaster. Never, ever again.

North Royalton, Ohio
18 attraction reviews
“Amusement Park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2008

We stayed 2 1/2 days on our visit to Hershey Park, stayed off site @ HI Express, close by 2.5 mi. Hershey is very enjoyable by the kids and us, clean, wholesome fun for everyone, no alcohol allowed inside the park, which means no drunk idiots around. Park is very clean, smoking only in designated areas which is very nice. The water park rides are very slow in the queue lines, we waited only 40 minutes for their newest coaster, Fahrenheit, worth the wait. Can be seen in one day if you hurry, but there is no reason too. We live closer to Cedar Point in Sandusky, but we do not want the 2-3 hour wait in lines for rides. Hershey is just a better place to go, they have 11 coasters and rival Cedar Point with much better ambiance.

Hummelstown
19 attraction reviews
“Give Hersheypark a break!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

I live in Hershey, so I am sure that many will feel this is biased but I hope you give it a read anyway.

Alot of locals think of Hersheypark as it was years ago and it is just not that sort of park anymore. (Remember that it almost closed in the mid 70's because money was not being put into it!) I completly agree that the parking fee is ridiculous, but I think parking fees are (unfortunately) industry standards these days. The good news (for locals or people who do some extra research) is that Giant grocery stores sell tickets at a discount and they include a free parking pass for part of the summer.

While Hersheypark doesn't require the planning of a trip to Disneyworld, you do need to take a look at what is going on during your planned trip to figure out how crowded the park will be.
Is there a concert going on during your visit (or one each night?) If there is, plan on huge crowds, long lines, difficult parking - and probably some really obnoxious people. (Some people will tailgate prior to concerts.)
Are you going during a weekend in July? Expect crowds and lots of them! Everyone goes on the weekend in July!
If you want to really be able to enjoy the Boardwalk, go early when the park opens or from dinner time on. Again, everyone wants to be in the water during the hottest time of the day. I can tell you from experience that while everyone is standing in lines waiting to enjoy the Boardwalk, the lines at all of the other rides at the park are short and sometimes non-exisistant!

As for complaints about Hersheypark being poorly managed, I urge you to share these concerns with guest services while you are there or after you get home. Of course you need to have specific examples and reasons, not just general complaints, but I have brought several concerns to management of the park since we've lived here and have on almost every occasion recieved a satisfying answer/resolution. Not everything can be fixed immediately, but nothing can be fixed if not brought to the attention of the right people.

My experience as a local is that I am always being told how lucky I am to have this great place right in my backyard. When I get into conversations with people at the park, it seems everyone is surprised by how clean the park is, how nice the employees are, etc.

I agree that Hersheypark is an expensive day, no arguments here, but is it any worse than other parks of its size and scope? Is it better?

Plan your day at Hersheypark like you would any other trip and I think you'll find a great place for all ages.

Been to HersheyPark? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage HersheyPark, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.