“Great week at Hershey!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Spencer, IA
“Great week at Hershey!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stayed at this hotel June 11th through June 18th. The rooms were spotless, the beds were very comfortable, and the entire hotel was enjoyable. The train is really not a big deal. We were in building 1, which is closest to the tracks, and we were also on the end of the building closest to the tracks. We could hear the train when we were awake, but it didn't wake up any of the 5 adults staying in the room. I think people in previous reviews are definitely over reacting to the train, DO NOT FEAR IT!!!

The rooms furniture, which included several chairs and a sleeper sofa, were in excellent condition and are comfortable to sit on. The TV's are in nice shape as well.

The pool is a little bit smaller than I expected, but that is not a big deal at all. There are nice gas grills to use, as well as a small basketball court. There is also a game room with several machines as well as free air hockey and fooseball.

Overall, this was a fantastic hotel and I will certainly stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Hershey100, General Manager at The Suites at Hershey, responded to this review, August 31, 2010
Thanks!! Glad you enjoyed it!!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Central New York State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

We booked this for a quick trip to Hershey during winter break - me, my husband and 11 year old daughter. We love coming to Hershey in the winter as we find it's not as crowded as in the summer. We stayed in building 3, which was conveniently connected to the indoor pool. We did not request this, the gods of hotel booking just smiled on us and we lucked out, as I had read that this was an issue for some people. Our suite was huge with two bedrooms. The master bedroom had a very comfortable king sized bed and an en-suite bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub and separate shower and the other bedroom had two double beds with an attached bathroom. Every surface was spotless, and I'm a freak about these things. The living room had a fireplace and kept us toasty warm. We were not bothered once by any phone call asking us to purchase a time share. It was a lot like being home. We came and went as we pleased, cooked breakfast and dinner in the room and never ever heard a train - frankly, while not entirely looking forward to that I was a tad disappointed that we never once heard it go by! To sum it all up, I guess Building 3 is the place to be if you're going to stay here and like I said, we ended up there purely by chance.
So what didn't we like? Well, you can't make everyone 100% happy, right? While we were thrilled to be in the same building as the pool, when we finally went down on our first night there the water was kind of murky, as in I couldn't see the bottom. Now maybe there wasn't anything wrong with it, but I've just never been to an indoor pool where you couldn't see the bottom and honestly it weirded me out, so we didn't go back. We made due with the Jacuzzi. No big. The other thing I wasn't totally on board with but didn't mind was the fact that they expect you to take out the garbage when your stay is done. I found this odd. When I stay at a hotel, I'm the kind of person who piles up the towels neatly and wipes down the counters anyway, so that wasn't a problem at all. . . But take out the garbage? We just had to gather it and set it out in the hall. Again, no big considering the great deal I feel we got for this place. I've never stayed at a time share before so maybe that's the norm? Despite the murky pool and the garbage issue we'd stay here again in a heartbeat. It was fabulous!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Hershey100, General Manager at The Suites at Hershey, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Thanks for the great feedback as we appreciate your comments.
Sorry for the issue w/the indoor pool. Additional steps have been taken to ensure the water clarity since this weekend.
We hope you didn't mind placing the garbage outside your door for pickup. Since a few years ago we valued our guests privacy and security: for those reasons we will not enter a guests villa unless asked or for emergencies.
Hope to see you again!!!
Central Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

Overall, we had a very good visit. We found this resort to have a friendly, informed, helpful staff.

Our two-bedroom timeshare-exchange unit, the only size they offer, was a well-maintained unit with ample drawer and closet space. It featured two bedrooms, each with its own bath, on either side of a central kitchen/dining/living area.

The kitchen was very adequate, except for some slightly dated cookware (no non-stick here). Seating for meals was on two stools at the kitchen counter or at the dining room table with seating for six. The living area included a large sleep-sofa and two easy chairs, a large flat-screen television, CD player and more drawer storage. Trash disposal, inconvenient at some resorts, was extremely simple here: just leave it outside your door by noon and the resort staff collects it daily.

The resort staff was quick to respond to the one maintenance issue we had during our stay -- a failed CD player was replaced within two hours of our reporting it.

The resort location is very convenient to the Hershey Park area and close to downtown once you learn the local shortcut.

The noise from train tracks adjacent to the resort, reported by other reviewers, is clearly audible, but the level of disruption it creates is a matter of personal taste -- we noticed it whenever a train went through but didn't find it truly disruptive to the enjoyment of our stay and were never awakened by it after going to bed.

Access to the indoor pool does require going outdoors from two of their three buildings -- not quite as convenient as some other places we've stayed.

The staff appears to have good knowledge of local restaurant choices and a large three-ring binder in the reception/office area provides menus from most of them so you can check them out before you go.

All three buildings at the resort provide semi-enclosed, ground-level parking -- very convenient for loading/unloading your car on arrival/departure days, with resort-provided luggage carts adjacent to the elevator. The garage is also great on inclement weather days during your stay! .

Organized resort activities appeared to be quite limited the week we were there, but it was the "off-season" and the front desk staff told us at check-in that the Activities Director was "out sick", so that may also have impacted offerings during our visit.

In general, we had a pleasant, enjoyable stay. We'd make another exchange into "The Suites at Hershey" anytime we wanted another trip to that area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the feedback!
We shut down each unit for one week in January to do "deep cleaning". All pots and pans have been replaced as we go thru w/non-stick.
We do provide changing rooms/locker rooms next to the indoor pool for those of you that stay in building one.
We value your comments...thanks! Hope to see you again!
Beloit
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I read all the reviews prior to booking my family of 8 getaway to Hershey, PA. For the price of this suite, the location and the amenities in the room - thank God we chose this location! I had 6 kids between 8 - 15 yrs of age and they all enjoyed this hotel. Across the street from the Outlet mall, 2-3 blocks from Hershey Park, the Zoo, the Chocolate Factory - we just had a ball. The weather was rainy all weekend but the we made the best of it. I did read about the pots and pans - yeah, they can definately be upgraded. I heard alot about the train - what train? You could hardly hear it! The Suites at Hershey definately gets 5 stars!! Not to mention the Great front desk personnel - made sure we knew where everything was!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
pleasant ridge, mi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

We just returned from Hershey. Having two small children, we really enjoyed the large accomadations. Rooms were clean and spacious. Pool was great b/c it rained alot during our trip. The location was good and easy to get to. The train did not wake up my children or my husband. (although, the dishwasher was louder than the train!)
The hotel is actually making us consider a timeshare!
We had some wonderful meals as well during our visit there and they were only 5 minute drives.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
New Hyde Park, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

We booked 2 suites for 4 families with 7 kids from July 17-19. The ages ranging from 1 year old to 4 years of age. We definetly enjoyed our stay. The suites were spacious and comfortable and I would highly recommend them to people with small kids. The only drawback was the train at night as you would hear the horn at midnight. In spite of the train, would stay here again.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on 7/8/09 and checked out on 7/10. We were a group of 7 adults and 2 kids. The suite itself is huge - we had 2 big bedrooms; each with a huge bathroom. It was important that we had enough space to spread out and also that we had at least 2 bathrooms so that we can all get ready in the morning. The living room and dining area were great. The kitchen was well-kept, clean as was the fridge and gas/oven. We cooked/heated most of our meals there and it was definitely worth paying a higher than average rate in order to have the above-mentioned amenities. (we paid$360/night)

The towels, sheets and bed spreads did not feel clean at all. The beds were sloppily made when we arrived and the towels felt old and raggedy. The place is equipped with paper towels, dishwashing liquid, towels but not enough soaps/shampoos. We called call to ask for fresh towels on the second day and they had them in our room when we got back on the 2nd day. Beware this is a timeshare so there is no complimentary housekeeping.

There are 2 pools - an indoor and outdoor one. We visited the indoor one - pretty clean, not busy and off to the side of the buildings so it was kind of private. The exercise room is a narrow space with 3 machines lined up in it - not much room in there.

Upon checking in, I was not happy at all with the way I was treated at the front desk. After reading reviews on this site, I specifically requested a room in bldg 2 or 3 - away from the tracks and close to the pool. Unfortunately, I was not accommodated and the girl checking me in could care less about my disappointment. She was not apologetic at all and basically said tough luck. She was not friendly, didn't smile once nor did she go out of her way to make us feel welcome. Not once did she say let us know if you need anything, welcome to our suites, etc. In fact, both girls at the front desk seemed more like camp counselors than reception for a property. It was like they were running a camp for kids of some sort. I did not like the vibe I got from her at all. She did not offer any information about where we were in proximity to restaurants, grocery, etc.

The same thing happened upon checkout - different girl but same attitude; didn't even stand up when I walked over to return our card keys. She did not ask how our stay was, whether we were comfortable or anything. She was too busy browsing the internet to properly make eye contact.

I understand this is a timeshare but I still expected great service - however, I found people to be indifferent and uninterested. Although people on this website have said that they were being hounded by salespeople, nobody asked us about taking a tour or buying property so that was good.

The garage connects straight to the units so it makes it easy to load and unload your bags, groceries, etc. The walk to the pool isn't that bad - not too far off. We heard the train while we were in the room at night but once everyone was sleeping, nobody heard it. So, staying in bldg 1 wasn't bad. The outlets are right across the street - you could walk back and forth in 3 minutes flat. Hershey Park is 2 minutes away as well.

All in all, it was an okay stay - as long as you don't expect great service, friendly people and luxury accommodations. For us, it worked out to be there because we had a full kitchen, 2 big bathrooms and 2 bedrooms. We had plenty of room to eat, sleep and hang out. Additionally, we saved a huge amount of money by eating most of our meals in the room.

One other recommendation, if you're visiting Hershey Park, have your hand stamped midday; then, go back to the Suites and plan to make/eat your lunch there. You save money by eating in and time by not having to wait in line. Also, we used that break to change the kids, freshen up, recharge ourselves and go back to the park and stay until closing.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to The Suites at Hershey? Share your experiences!