“A lot of fun at Christmas time!” 4 of 5 stars

Third Night FREE
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Hershey
GreenLeadersGold level
Wyckoff, New Jersey
“A lot of fun at Christmas time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Hershey and we had a very nice time. We had lunch with Santa which was fun. We went to the Gingerbread Tea at the Hershey Lodge (skip it! the food was awful and the graham cracker houses were falling apart as we made them. It wasn't worth it and it was not at all what I expected). Everything else was fun. It rained while we where there so we mostly stayed indoors. We never did make it to the amusement park. At a few of the venues I got a few sour pusses but other than that everyone was extremely pleasant, curteous and helpful. One word of advise when making your reservation: make sure you ask about package deals. I must have called the reservation line 5 or 6 times to make changes, ask questions etc. but not once did anyone inform me of a package deal. We paid for everything a la carte. I only found out about it after we met our friends there and they told us about it. Also, the signage was not that good and for first time visitors like us we weren't well informed of how to get to places or where activities were held. Despite all of that, we had a lot of fun. My children are 4 and 9 years of age. Also, the room was extremely hot and dry. I was parched the whole time I was there. I'm so sorry this review is not better organized and I jumped around a lot but I'm running off to an appointment!

Room Tip: We have two children and book a room with two queen size beds and it worked out fine.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Delran, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great spa . Staff super friendly . Nice rooms . Great food at the hotel . The spa was amazing . Lots of kids actvities . Fun for the whole famiy . Very close to everything, park, shopping and the town .

Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just spent two of the most wonderful days at the hotel. It was worth asking for assistance in making my reservation with Cindy who is the manager's executive assistant. She helped secure a beautiful spacious room in the main building. The staff could not have been more pleasant, making you feel welcomed and important. I wish we had more time to enjoy the beautiful surroundings and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a spacious room in the main building overlooking the formal gardens. We were in 309 and it...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Whitehall, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The Hershy Hotel and Spa should be experienced at least once. You will love the friendly and welcoming atmosphere....a home away from home. The Hotel grounds are beautiful, be sure to take a nice leisurely stroll to take it all in. The various restaurants should accomodate any palate. Be sure to schedule a service in the SPA, you will love it and want to come back for more. The staff always has a friendly smile and hello and are willing to assist you with whatever you may need. Don't forget to visit the Hershey Museum, Chocolate World, The Hershey Outlets and the Shops at Hotel Hershey....I especially like the Sweet Shop, so many yummy cupcakes, cookies, candy, coffee, cocoa etc.
If you are in a rush, this is not the place to be. This excursion is done and a leisurely pace so you can enjoy all the sites and activities. So much to see and do in the Hotel and around Hershey, PA.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Hotel Hershey provides a genuinely indulugent experience consistent with the company's/town's claim that it is the sweetest place on earth. The customer service was consistently at a level one would expect from a luxury hotel. From the planning stage through our stay, we enjoyed consistently outstanding customer service. Once our reservations were made, we received outstanding assistance from Kyle and Nefertitti in the Concierge office. They assisted with arrangements such as transportation to and from the airport and connecting us with the spa. The transportation was seemless and very professionally handled.

Upon arriving at the hotel several hours prior to scheduled check-in due to flight arrangements, we were warmly greeted by Ashton at the front desk. Granted we had made an advance request for early check-in, but that is never guaranteed. Ashton didn't blink an eye at our early arrival time and professionally and efficiently checked us in and guided us on our way to getting settled into our room. She made a point to come from around the front desk to more personally hand us our room keys and our Hershey bars (yum!) and then guided us to the proper elevator. She even remembered us later that afternoon as we walked past the front desk. What a wonderful way to begin our adventure. Thank you, Ashton!

The rooms are adequate in size, but well appointed and very clean. Given the age and design of the building, the rooms were more than expected. The amenities were consistent with an upscale hotel. The only complaint is the reliance on "old school" electric heating systems typically found in budget hotels. This is clearly a function of the age of the facility, but the dry heat and inability to easily control the overall temperature were a bit of an inconvenience and annoyance. Also, it was quite cold during our stay and this carried over into the common areas of the hotel. It made for sweater weather even while inside.

The spa at Hotel Hershey is truly outstanding. We indulged in the full day spa experience and did not regret a single moment of it. The staff were friendly, professional, welcoming, and clearly interested in providing the type of customer service experience one would anticipate at a luxury spa. From the moment we were greeted and given a tour by Francesca throughout each treatment, we felt truly valued and welcomed. The facility is modern, clean, well appointed, and provides the type of atmosphere one would hope for in any spa experience. While I am confident any of the staff members would have provided outstanding service based on our experience, we especially appreciated the services provided by Tammy (nails), Jessica (nails/hair), and Tracy (massage).

The Fitness Center was staffed by Allen in the a.m. He provided a warm and welcoming smile that was a perfect way to start the day. And, he did an excellent job of checking on the guests during work-outs to ensure that all was well. The Fitness facility, however, was a bit of a let-down and not quite up to luxury hotel standards. It was inconvenient to have to leave the hotel and walk a short distance to the workout room (not fun when the temperatures are in the 20s). More importantly, however, the equipment is old and tired. Also, the hours are a bit inconvenient for those who are early morning work-out fans. Twenty-four hour access is far more common and befitting a luxury hotel, not the 6:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. hours at Hotel Hershey.

There are some wonderful restaurant/cafe options on-site, which was appreciated given that we were only in for a short stay and the weather was not conducive to outdoor exploring. The Cocoa Beanery turned out to be our favorite stop for a sweet treat or hot drink (non-alcoholic!). There were also plenty of healthy food choices for someone looking for something on the go (e.g., salads, sandwiches, fruit cups).

A huge thank you to the staff at Hotel Hershey for providing a sweet experience on all counts.

Glen Rock, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was or first time staying at the Hotel Hershey . It was only for Thanksgiving night. The rest of the weekend they were booked. The hotel is beautiful, room size is ok, the bathroom is a little small, but not for the amount of money we paid for the one night. I think $225- $ 259 is the right amount. We stood at a five star resort for less money per night and got the same amount of friendly service. The Cirrcular dining room was nice, and Trevi 5 was ok. It would of been better if they put a bit more food on the appetizer dishes. We would like to come back next year if they can offer a package deal to include Hershey CandyLane and Zoo America with an overnight stay.

Room Tip: rooms 506-512 go out to the indoor pool. If we go again I will ask for those rooms.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was my third time to Hershey, I had been to the spa once with my father's wife and the park once with my husband. I really enjoyed the spa and wanted to spend some time with my husband on Thanksgiving away from family drama, so we stayed at the Hotel Hershey on Thanksgiving for 3 nights.

ROOMS:
Tiny. I have stayed at a lot of hotels and when I am spending a significant amount of money for a hotel I guess I expect a little more. The room size was comparable to what you would find in Europe, only I am in Hershey... the desk was so close to the bed I could barely pull out the chair, I had to move it so I wouldn't trip over it going to the bathroom. The bathroom was tiny, you had to shift a lot so you didn't get knocked by the door when going in/leaving. My elbow often knocked off the toilet paper roll because it was so close to the toilet. There was no thermostat which made getting the room temperature right a challenge.

HOTEL RESTAURANTS:
We had Thanksgiving dinner in one of the ballrooms because the Circular Dining Room was booked (we booked about 2 months in advance). The service was alright, the food was very good. We were charged for twice the amount of money we were suppose to and I had to correct the waitress and point out there were only two of us. We had Sunday Brunch at the Circular Dining Room and it was very nice, though a lot of repeats from Thanksgiving. They don't start serving brunch until 12, which was odd to me. That would make it lunch time, not brunch. Service was excellent though. Trevi 5 had good food, but the service wasn't very good. The bar service at the lounge was good, she was very attentive. At the end of the trip we had been to all of the restaurants but Harvest. They were all expensive, especially the alcohol (expect to pay $12 for a martini). The service wasn't anything spectacular expect for brunch, so I would highly recommend brunch at the Circular Dining Room.

HOTEL SHOPPING:
There are several small shops next to the lobby. The spa shop is very expensive, expect to pay $20 and up for a bottle of lotion. Most of the gifts are pretty expensive (paid $20 for an ornament, I have one just like it from another hotel and had paid $10), but this is an expensive hotel so I guess I should have expected it.

HOTEL SPA:
The spa is great and the main reason I went back to Hershey. We had a day of spa treatments scheduled and any time waiting was spent in the quiet room with muffins and hot chocolate. The only complaint I have there is that it got really, really busy at one point and it wasn't quiet anymore. I don't know if I would get the cocoa bean polish again, it was a scrub (I bought a small bottle of it in the spa shop) they just put on you and then wash it off, so nothing I honestly couldn't have done myself... the massage was excellent, as was the hydrotherapy. My husband said one of the people who took care of him was too talkative, I had a similar person who just was too friendly. But the girl who did my massage was great.

HOTEL STAFF:
People are pleasant enough, they say hello in the hall, but I can't say much beyond that except for during Brunch. That's the only place I can say the staff stuck out to me. The ladies in the Jewelry store and Sweets store were friendly, but then we weren't even acknowledged in other shops like the Christmas store.

HOTEL SHUTTLE:
The hotel offers a shuttle to the parks/Chocolate World. Chocolate World opened at 9 when we were there, the Park opened at 12. I don't know if the shuttle was available before 11 to go to Chocolate World because we started to wait at about 10:30 and no one showed up until 11, followed by 20 minutes of waiting. All in all it took an hour to get there when the park is so close you can see it. On the way back to the hotel it wasn't as long, the shuttle is very close to the park entrance so that's a plus.

HERSHEY ATTRACTIONS:
Hershey Park turns into "Candy Lane" for Christmas. I've been to the park during the summer before and I would recommend going there during its regular season vs, winter. I found it really disappointing. Half the park is closed, but most of the rides open are kids right so maybe if you had kids you'd be happy. There are some Christmas related shops but nothing great, I wish we had gone after dark because there is some kind of Christmas lights show, didn't realize that. I was just surprised by how little there was to do. I have been to places like Six Flags for Halloween and usually there are Halloween related rides or activities, I kind of expected the same but in Christmas theme. Really the only difference was some Christmas shops, some decorations, and Santa. Otherwise no difference (well, less rides).

Chocolate World was open completely, which is always a nice visit. It was incredibly crowded though which I expected it would be.

The drive-thru Christmas lights were nice, we brought our own Christmas music to listen to.

The Hershey Story was okay, it's just a little museum about Milton Hershey. The hotel gives you complimentary tickets so it was worth the trip.

Hershey Gardens, don't pay to go here after fall. The hotel gives complimentary tickets here too and all of the flowers are dead. I have been to Longwood Gardens in the winter and it was still nice because there are a lot of indoor/greenhouse areas. Hershey Gardens does not have this, so all you'll be seeing is a lot of brown nothing. I don't even understand why this place is open after October.

OUTSIDE PARKS/HOTEL:
We went to the outlets the evening of Black Friday and it wasn't that bad. By then I think a lot of people are done so we found some good deals. I would HIGHLY recommend Devon Seafood Grill, that was my favorite restaurant in Hershey. The food and service was fantastic and about the same price as the hotel restaurants. I loved this place, I want one near where I live!

Overall, I was disappointed. This is an expensive hotel and I felt like I would have been better off staying at the Lodge or any other hotel because really there is no benefit of staying here over another local hotel. You can visit the hotel, spa, and restaurants without staying at the hotel. Yes, it's convenient to be right there but most of the places in Hershey are pretty close together so it's not going to be a far ride to get anywhere. To be clear, I have no problem paying extra for a nice hotel, but this hotel didn't offer anything special at all. I was really disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Hotel Hershey? Share your experiences!