“20th Year Anniversary” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oreland, Pennsylvania
“20th Year Anniversary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We enjoyed our trip to the Inn very much. We bought a package that included a trail ride at Vanderbeek Farms.
The food was very good. The room was cozy. The staff was friendly and responsive to our needs.
This was our third time to the Inn for overnight accommodations. It met all expectations based on previous visits.
I did take the time to read some of the less than favorable reviews. I was a little surprised and can tell you that these views were not consistent with our stays at the inn.
You do need understand that this is an older building and with the age comes a great deal of character, charm and ambiance. With this there is a bit of a trade off as you are not staying in a building that has been built in the last ten years.
Meals were good, especially breakfasts. I would describe the dinners as of the gourmet type - very tasty with very nice "presentation". My wife described the pork meal as the best she has ever had.....which if you every had her cooking pork you would understand that this is quite a complement.
I did witness a situation where the Inn staff and management went our of their way to satisfy a couple who had an experience at the Inn. Personally from what I saw the experience was self induced, but nevertheless the staff bent over backwards to make amends.
So, we would go there again, without hesitation. We have referred our friends there and have heard nothing but positive feedback from their visits that have occurred over the past 6 months.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
jeanne g, Owner at Settlers Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for spending your anniversary with us at The Settlers Inn ! So glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the historic nature of the property. It was built in 1927 and originally had 54 rooms - we have made many changes and continue to upgrade while maintaining the historic integrity of this arts and crafts gem. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Bedford Hills, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'm not even sure where to start. We found The Settlers Inn via Select Registry, a network of high-quality, independently owned B&B's across the country. We have stayed at three other Select Registry B&B's and we have really enjoyed them.

We checked out The Settlers Inn on Trip Advisor before booking. We read the negative reviews but they were so outnumbered by positive reviews, and trusting in the Select Registry listing, we booked anyway.

It was busier than anticipated when we arrived (a Wednesday afternoon in July), and I think we took the last space in the parking lot. The outside of the property looked nice - plantings all around, wicker furniture in the front outdoor seating area, and a path off to the left. We walked in to the dark-ish lobby and were overwhelmed by the strong odor of fireplace ash. My fiance remembered that he had read a mention of that in one of the reviews. Ah oh well, it's an adventure, right?

We went up to the front desk where the clerk was helping another couple. Slowly. Very slowly. Once they were finally checked in we thought it would be our turn, but she came out from behind the front desk to escort them to their room and left us waiting there with a "be with you in just a minute." Another woman came out from a door behind the front desk while we were waiting but did not offer to help us. Ah well,at least we'll be walked to our room, too, right?

There was no offer to assist with taking bags up the steps so we were left to lug them up ourselves. No big deal, part of the charm, right? We were led to room 203. It was nice, but a little cramped with the bed immediately inside the door. The beautiful old windows had a pane of glass installed over top so there was no way to open them. Ah, not a big deal.

The bathroom looked nice at first glance. The water line is obviously shared with another room, because even though my fiance was elsewhere, the water temperature (ouch!) and pressure changed a few times while I was showering. Once the shower/tub was wet, there was a very strong smell of mildew for the remainder of our stay. Well, at least dinner should be good. Four diamonds, right?

On the way down to dinner we noticed that the "sitting" room (i.e. door to fire escape, setee and water dispenser) a few doors down had a large vent dangling from the ceiling, hanging only by layers of paint attached to sheet rock. (We both grabbed for our phones - see two pictures I uploaded). That was a little alarming, so on the way to dinner we told the front desk that they should have someone go have a look at that right away. Her response was somewhere between confused and disintersted. I was beginning to lose hope.

We didn't have a reservation but were seated promptly for our farm-to-table dinner. Our server was an older lady, very nice, who seemed as though she was new to all this. She took our drink orders. A couple was seated behind us with a different server - they ordered drinks, received them, and ordered their meals before our drinks arrived. (The Cuban Fizz was eventually very good.) Once we placed our food orders, we never saw our server again, except for when she helped the manager bring out our meals. ("be careful your plates are very hot" is restaurant speak for "they have been sitting under the heat lamps for a while") There were plenty of server's assistants floating around but none of them would engage - they'd just refill a water or take away a plate with no words or eye contact to see if you needed anything. The wine and cocktails we tried were good, but the food was pretty not great. We decided to pass on dessert in the interest of getting back to our room before 2014 and had to flag down a server's assistant to get our check.

On the way back to the room we noticed the vent was still hanging there. Oh... whatever.

It had been a hot day and we turned the a/c unit on to cool the room down. It never seemed to really get cool, though; it just took the edge off. The bed was comfortable a first. It took a while to sink in to the deep featherbed. (The result of this come morning was a mound in the center of the bed between my fiance and me.)

At some point in the middle of the night we were awakened by the sound of the vent finally dropping to the floor. Seriously, Settlers Inn?

We headed down for breakfast in the morning with lowered expections, just hoping for better service than we had for dinner. We walked by the vent and torn paint on the floor of the sitting room on our way to breakfast.

Our pleasant young waitress was very attentive and apologized profusely when she spilled the entire pitcher of syrup, that was intended to be poured on my waffles, on my lap. No problem - it happens. I asked her to bring me some butter and went to the restroom to clean up. When I got back and finally got to try my waffles, I thought I detected a garlic flavor in the butter. Nah, can't be. Took another bite. Yep, that's garlic. So weird - am I losing it? I asked my fiance to try it; he said "It tastes like everything in the refrigerator - they must not cover it."

We'd had enough. Abort mission. Abort. Abort. We should have heeded those negative reviews.

At least the big breakfast was included with the room price and we didn't get charged for extra syrup.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
jeanne g, Owner at Settlers Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
As the owner of a very unique well cared for historic hotel, I need to respond to the reviewer of "Heed the Negative Reviews" and the same reviewer who posted "don't". There are two areas that I would like to address. One is a photo posted of a vent hanging from a damaged ceiling. On June 30, 2013, approximately three days previous to this reviewer's stay our inn was deluged in a flash flood with severe water damage. We were interviewed on local news. One of the damages that occurred was the ceiling that this reviewer photographed. I have posted the photograph on TA of the repaired ceiling. I have also posted a photograph showing the flooding of our garden, also totally restored within ten days. The other issue I would like to address is the "odor of smoke". We have a massive fireplace in the common room of The Settlers Inn and because of the huge amount of rain, the chimney was damp and the smell of wood smoke was prevalent in our lobby. This was addressed with dehumidifiers and the problem is currently abated.
Just three days after this flooding began a very busy four day holiday weekend. We are sorry to have let down this guest and if they would have asked to speak to management regarding their impression of their stay we would have addressed the issues at that time. In the meantime I invite the reviewer to contact the inn and we will make amends.
The pleasure of our guests is our primary goal at The Settlers Inn. We are proud of our record of good customer service and our mostly positive ratings from our guests.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

My sister and I stayed overnight at Settler's Inn in room 206, a deluxe king room. We enjoyed the Spring Foodie Package which includes a three course dinner, an overnight stay, and breakfast the next morning. This package was well worth it! The inn is a very charming, welcoming place with beautiful gardens, cozy fireplaces, and relaxing porches to watch the world go by. It's right by a river, which was flooding when we arrived, but the staff at the inn were great in making sure that all the guests were taken care of while handling the rising waters which were spilling over on to the property. We didn't experience any trouble, though we missed the opportunity to explore the gardens because they were under water and it was pouring rain. So, we decided to take advantage of our cozy in-room fireplace, talking and sipping drinks. I think that room 206 is one of the nicest, if not THE nicest room, at the inn. It is expansive and includes a king-sized, extra fluffy bed with plenty of pillows, two comfortable chairs next to a cozy fireplace (electric or gas, I'm not sure), and whirlpool, jetted tub with a massaging showerhead. What more could you ask for?! I've included some pics for you. The food at the inn was delicious! I savored the Ahi Tuna while my sister enjoyed scallops and shrimp. I would definitely recommend the crab/avacado appetizer and the English Toffee Pudding for dessert! All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food staff went out of their way to make sure that I could eat and drink safely (I cannot have milk/dairy). We did not experience any problems or concerns during our stay. We hope you enjoy your getaway at Settler's Inn as much as we did! And pick up one of their coffee mugs to take home with you to remember the experience. We each bought one.

Room Tip: Room 206 is one of the nicest rooms with a king-sized bed, fireplace, and a HUGE whirlpool, jetted t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We ended up staying at the Settlers Inn by accident. We had booked a room at their sister property, the Ledges Hotel, and were disappointed to get a call telling us they had overbooked and offered us a room at Settlers instead. We initially declined but a few hours later after failing to find a place to stay, we opted to check with Settlers again and fortunately they had room. That wasn't the only fortunate part, it was the entire experience. The Inn is a rustic arts and crafts style hotel filled with warm furnishings and warm staff. The other big surprise was the quality of the food. The restaurant is an outstanding farm to table dining experience. I was just passing through for the night but had a delightful experience that will cause me to return some day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Scranton, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I try to review everything in the context of what it claims to be. They advertise AAA 4 Diamond Award. That is the expectation we went in with.

If this were a scene from Caddy Shack it might have been funny, but the ineptitude got old very fast.

From the outside, it's a beautiful property. The grounds are small but very nice and fairly well kept. With the addition of one or two trees you wouldn't even realize it's surrounded by roads. The back area is lush and provides country charm.

When we walked in, still a beautiful property - but with an overwhelming smoky smell. I'm not sure if the place burned in the past, but this was a pervasive smell.

We were directed to the outdoor terrace where they were serving lunch. It was pretty warm for outdoor seating - in the 80's, so some people were refusing to eat outside (which the staff wasn't happy with) but we went out. The terrace overlooks the back gardens, which is a relaxing area. We looked over the menu, thought there were some nice selections - but things went down hill from there.

It appeared as though they just hired new staff (in the last half hour or so), suited them up, gave them new fangled devices they'd never seen before (menu, pen, pad, crumber) and set them loose with one frustrated looking older woman overseeing the comedy of errors.

We tried to order drinks a few times, asked for water a few times (it's 80+ degrees), placed our order twice (they forgot what it was the first time), asked for the items they forgot several more times, watched them drop all the new fangled devices on the floor several times as they wandered in circles accomplishing nothing. Several orders came out wrong and went back. They took people's glasses and didn't offer a refill. A waiter pelted me with crumbs off the wrinkled cotton tablecloth with his crumber while a waitress took the carafe of water we had asked for and my husbands glass leaving us with half a drink between us and two dessert menus. She also managed to crash into my husband's back with a full tray of food while trying to wrangle a stand to put it on.

Needless to say, we didn't order dessert.

The food itself was mediocre. Farm to table? No. The fries were your standard frozen variety, the "build your own burger" was cooked properly, but lacked the toppings ordered with it and was rather tough to chew. The turkey lunch meat should have been labeled "smoked" on the menu as it was so strongly smoked I couldn't eat it. The side salad was abused mixed greens doused in vinaigrette.

When asked how the food was my husbands reply was "Okay". They're good with that I guess since they just left the $50 lunch check with no pen.

Some time later the waiter asked if he gave us a pen (since several others complained - I had my own pen), but still had no concept that taking the water and glasses wasn't correct or that pelting diners with crumbs wasn't 4 Diamond service.

The owners really should be embarrassed by the ineptitude we watched. From the woman "training" these people stopping in the middle of the floor like a prairie dog scanning all the tables looking for problems - that were clearly visible - but she wasn't seeing (the looks on the face were comical) to the knock on the kitchen door and wait before you enter system, it may have been the most ridiculous excuse for service I've seen yet.

There will not be a return trip here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Westfield, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed in the Settlers Inn, a beautiful sister hotel to Ledges. Three pals and I were fly fishing the Lackawazan River, a gorgeous river to fly fish. We were told of the hotel by staff at Settlers Inn ( a great place in it's own right.) Next trip we will be staying at Ledges, it is a fantastic settling. We meet the owner at the bar. What a fabulous view from the wine room of the four story water fall. The owner was great, took my business card and said to make sure to call ahead of the next fly fishing trip. Next trip will be ten guys, hope we can book enough rooms. If you're a fly fisherman you're going to think you're in the middle of Colorado. Great scenery awesome accommodations and only a short trip from NYC/Northern Jersey. Really a dream come true.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Romrod, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Settlers Inn is really a nice place to stay but not to eat. The place is located on the corner of the main road, RT. #6, which runs in front and on the side of the property. We took a tour of almost all the rooms and they are very nice for a night or two, well maybe just one. Individual temp. controlled rooms, quiet and clean. The grounds are small but nice to walk around a little. There's a gift shop inside and in a house around the back. Nice comfortable lobby area and the staff is friendly. There are a couple of rooms where you can stay with a pet.

About the food: There's a bar area where light fare is served and it's reasonable priced and good. However, the dining room is not the same. Nice room, good service but the food, well that's a different story.

For instance, take a simple piece of steak or prime rib. For some reason the cook, and we wouldn't call him a chef, seems to think that everything needs something more. They cover almost everything with a mix of sauces and vegetables. Just try to find a steak under all that stuff! Once we ordered seafood: two shrimp, to scallops and some strange black stuff (four piles of it) that made us gag. Every time we ordered something the cook seems to think that simple is bad and they have to "doctor" it up with their "culinary wizardry." Well, with all their "doctoring" the patient is not going to make it. And of course there's a price to be paid for all these "extras."

And just in case you happen to attend some function around town, beware! Settlers Inn also caters out.

Here's the deal: neither Hawley nor Honesdale are renowned for their restaurants but there are some good ones. Unfortunately, Settlers Inn is not one of them unless you just want a hamburger at the bar!

Room Tip: Get a room around the back and don't make any meal reservations!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Settlers Inn? Share your experiences!