“Wonderful Retreat” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Hawley
Arlington, Virginia
“Wonderful Retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Went with my husband for a long weekend. We had such a great time! The facilities were beautiful- comfortable room with a beautiful terrace, dining room, quiet room, library were all beautiful and comfortable with gorgeous fireplaces.

Best part of the resort were the classes. Went to 4-5 activities a day. Yoga, watercolors, mandala drawing, fly fishing, terrarium planting. great way to relax, unwind, and try new things. Looking forward to returning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
bttrflyali-

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such lovely comments regarding your recent stay here at The Lodge! We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the variety of classes we offer. We look forward to welcoming you back!

639 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Perfect getaway for girlfriends or couples...fabulous, delicious food, great service, wonderful fitness center, clean indoor pool, activities to suit anyone...staff is outstanding!!! Cannot wait to go back again!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Lindsey B, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
ArleneS871-

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay here at The Lodge! We are delighted you enjoyed your time here, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Gorgeous, clean, delightful place. Great amenities. I am most impressed that in the dining room the servers smile, deliver everyone's food at the same time and do not remove a plate while others are eating. Just fabulous.

Some really great instructors and some new ideas for exercise.

Great pool.

ellen532-

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, as well as your note regarding our dining room staff- we will be sure to pass along your comments! Thank you for choosing to stay with us!
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I rarely consider a resort/hotel stay to be perfect, but this one is an exception. Traveling constantly, I have come to expect a certain standard from the properties that I choose to stay at. To say that The Lodge at Woodloch not only met my expectations, but exceeded them, is quite the accomplishment. This destination spa resort is a 10 on all accounts, do not hesitate to go, I cannot wait to return and I just got home a few hours ago! Here are some of the highlights of my 3 days at this property.

Service: Great from start to finish. All staff had a "can do" attitude. Everyone was very friendly, and anticipated needs throughout our stay and were fast and efficient. We had requested an early arrival and our room was ready when we got there at 11:30. Before we finished at the front desk, our bags were already in our room. At check out, we requested a late departure, once again, no problem. Tree restaurant staff were quick and plentiful. Everyone was professional and knowledgable about the menu choices and selection. Spa staff was friendly and all class instructors were not only nice but quite good at teaching their classes.

Food: Fantastic! Actually, loved everything we tried. Selections were plentiful and well thought out and presented. A true farm to table experience with an eye to healthy cuisine and correct portion size. Beautifully presented and delicious. I only wish they had a Woodloch Lodge Cookbook! Also loved that water was everywhere and snacks were put out as well as coffee and tea in a common room and nuts and fruit at the spa and health club. Tree Resturant was also very attractive, especially liked the library area. Again, floor to ceiling windows with a breathtaking view of the trees, lake and property. Acoustic guitar player in the evenings was a nice touch.

Spa: Beautiful and full of amenities. The pool and tranquility lounge were very inviting. The Whisper Lounge was a dream. We went there after treatments and relaxed in the comfortable lounge chairs with warm blankets and hot tea, just enjoying the view and the fire and the quiet. Well done. Treatments were really sound. We had Spring Renewal Body Scrubs and massages and they were excellent. Even purchased the scrub they used in the treatment so that I could continue to use it at home.

Health Club: The classes are all good. Some, like the Wall of Yoga or Drumming or Power Napping, were very unique. All were well taught. Meditation classes were wonderful. Class studios were all beautiful with floor to ceiling windows. Gym was well fitted with plentiful equipment. Everything was clean and inviting. Would have loved to have additional offering of Drumming Class or Belly dancing offered on weekends. It would be great if they made recordings of the meditations and sold them in the shop. I would love to be able to "replay" those great classes at home.

Room: Our room was also very, very nice with full amenities. Housekeeping was unobtrusive and excellent. Room was serviced twice daily.

Next visit, we plan to take advantage of the great hikes. We power walked the trail on the property, but there are several really wonderful hiking opportunities that are away from the resort. We really loved everything about our stay. Staff knew our name and we were free to wander around in a robe and slippers or work out clothes all day except for dinner. The architecture of the resort interior was so inviting. Decor reflected subtle "tree" elements throughout the public rooms as well as design details that brought the outside in. For example, there were metal leaves and petals on many of the lighting fixtures and vases with tree branches placed in hallways. The carpet and drapes had floral or leaf motifs in many cases and much of the permanent artwork reflected nature scenes.

This was really an enjoyable experience. Thank you Lodge at Woodloch, cannot wait to return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
travelingmom526-

Thank you so very much for your wonderful and thorough review! You truly painted a picture of the relaxing and rejuvenating atmosphere our staff strives to create each and every day. We thank you for choosing to stay with us, and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back!
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

It would be difficult to write this review without commenting on some really ridiculous behavior I saw on the Sunday I arrived...that definitely detracted from the "experience". The Lodge IS amazing. The facility is always sparkling, spa treatments - wonderful, classes and water features -fantastic. .The food is inspired. Everything you could hope for is there for your enjoyment.
So WHY are some women completely disturbed if they do not have their IPhone while they are in the hot tub?? Or have to stand in the shallow end of the pool with a laptop? Or make the whole point of the trip to gossip horribly about other women in their lives...loudly?
It was shocking to me on the Sunday I arrived...seeing the throngs of women arriving. Daytrippers, wedding parties... loud, rude, walking into things because they are glued to their screens. Garbage left laying around....UGH. I don't know how the wonderful staff there can stand it. The only peace and quiet to be found was in my (absolutely fabulous) room.
Then on Monday morning, all was once again right in the Woodloch world....with quiet and calm prevailing. Thankfully.
I really love Woodloch. This was my 7th visit. Its where I go when my life needs the reset button. I am dealing with a serious health issue and went there to figure things out. On Monday and Tuesday I was able to, so that was great. I just don't think I will go there again on the weekend. I have thought over the past few days about how is this Woodloch's fault? (It isn't) OR...how it can be improved. After all...its a business and they have to have a full lodge to stay in the black. Could some areas be dedicated quiet areas (like the whisper lounge)? Could some areas have timed periods of quiet? That might be hard to enforce, but sometimes a sign can do a lot. Is it even SAFE to have electronics in pools? Could a rule be made about no Iphones and computers in the pools and hot tubs? It seems CRAZY...but there were many people doing it. It wasn't an isolated one or two guests.
It really says a lot to me about the direction the human race is headed in...BUT...that is an opinion for another site! I still really love Woodloch and the fresh perspective I get when I visit. I am sure I will continue to love it..... on Mondays through Fridays.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful, clean and welcoming.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
samdanmom-

Thank you for taking the time to post your review! You are correct, our weekends do tend to be a bit busier with day spa guests and bridal parties that come in to receive hair and make up services. Please accept our apologies on behalf of any guests that may have put a damper on your Sunday. We are delighted, however, to hear that you enjoyed the many amenities we have to offer, as well as our breathtaking property. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back!
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Every time I have been at the Lodge at Woodloch, I leave feeling pampered and refreshed. I recommend this as a retreat or a rejuvenating experience. The hotel is comfortable, the meals exquisite, and the spa services are the best!! My only beef is the inattention to dietary restrictions or food allergies. If you have a food allergy, please call ahead and let them know. That is what I have to do, but you will still need to remind them every meal and check your plate carefully. The foods I am allergic to showed up on my plate 3 times in a 2 night stay, in spite of my calling ahead, reminding them on check-in and reminders before each and every meal. Otherwise, this is one super sweet place for rest, relaxation and rejuvenation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking at the lake
BambiLaFawn-

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments! We do apologize for the oversights regarding your food allergies- our Food and Beverage team, along with the Kitchen staff, take great care in properly preparing dishes when handling a food allergy, and our sincerest apologies for letting you down on this occasion. We are very pleased to hear you did enjoy your stay overall, and hope to have the chance to welcome you back again!
Yardley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My sisters brought me to this resort for my 50th birthday and it did not disappoint. We had the best time. I read some of the negative reviews and I have to say that I totally disagree with all of them. We only stayed one night but arrived at 9am on our arrival date and stayed until 6pm on our departure date so we really had 2 full days to use the facilities. The place is immaculate, all amenities are available anywhere you need them and always refilled in a timely manner. The staff was constantly cleaning and picking up. The classes are great! All instructors are friendly and the entire staff is very helpful. Food was very good as well, with choices if you wanted to stay healthy and options for some indulgence. Wine seemed pricey at dinner, but we brought our own. You can't bring your own into the dining room but we sat fireside before dinner and the staff was very willing to open our bottle and provide us with glasses. My facial was amazing and I loved the whisper room. There was always fresh fruit, trail mix, coffee and a large tea selection available anytime throughout the resort. It was extremely peaceful and we felt that we had lost touch with the outside world for 2 days. Will definitely return!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
JRFC50-

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a fantastic birthday celebration, and were able to take advantage of the myriad of activities we offer here on property. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon!

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!