“A wonderful place to de-stress” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Midweek Magic
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hawley
Brick, New Jersey
“A wonderful place to de-stress”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Just returned from a 2-night stay at the Lodge with my 2 friends and it was a delightful experience. Every single person on staff was friendly and helpful... I can honestly say I did not encounter any negative response from anyone I dealt with. This was our first visit to the Lodge, but I am sure it will not be our last!

I thought the food was delicious and I always left the dining room feeling full and satisfied. Although the portions were not large, they were ample especially when combined with the buffet selctions. Except for one talkative waiter, the wait staff was pleasant and attentive. The hostess was also very nice, and she managed to seat us at the window as often as she could, which we greatly appreciated.

I agree with one visitor's comment that the signature scent in the shampoo, lotion, etc., is a little overpowering.

I also thought that some of the treatments I had were OK, but not fabulous. The hot stone massage was good, but not as good as I've had in other places. My facial was awesome! The young man who provided my reflexology treatment had hands that felt like sandpaper... not a good thing, although the actual treatment was fine.

After reading some of the other reviews, I have to say that I am confused... I was under the impression that ALL gratuities were included, not just some of them.

Drink prices are on par with prices in New York City... they seem high for rural PA even though we were at a lovely spa.

Lastly, the room and the Lodge facility were lovely... nice down comforters, soft linens and plush towels in my room and I appreciated having filtered water in the bathroom. The spa area was super clean... nary a complaint at all in any area.

Room Tip: Third floor, facing the waterfall.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, March 17, 2012
Dear Cookie 516,

Thank you for your review and your comments regarding our staff, the cuisine, and your spa experience. It is always nice to hear that every employee a guest encounters during their stay is friendly and helpful! As I mentioned in a previous response, if you stay with us again, please let me know in advance if you would like us to remove the bath amenities. We will gladly provide an alternative for you.

I would like to take this opportunity to clarify our service charge & gratuity policy, so that other readers may benefit from this as well. On any package that you choose with us, we charge an 18% service charge. During your stay this service charge covers Lodge amenities, such as wireless internet, valet parking, coffee/tea, daily newspapers, and snacks/water, etc throughout the property. It also covers gratuities for staff members that guests often tip - bell/valet, housekeeping, waitstaff, and outdoor adventure guides. If you have a plan that includes a treatment allowance, gratuities are covered for all treatments that fall under this allowance. The only additional service charge you should ever pay would be if you exceed your total spa allowance or have drinks or additional entrees in Tree Restaurant. Additionally, if you stay with us on a package that does not include spa treatments, we will add the 18% service charge at the time of your treatment. These service charges would be posted to your guest account, so that there is no need to worry about carrying cash. I hope that this explanation helps; If I can help with any additional questions, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you for your feedback, and for choosing The Lodge at Woodloch!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I stayed a weekend; from the time I arrived until the time I left I have never felt so pampered in my life! The Lodge exterior was graceful in design; the interior was like a warm hug, with plenty of cozy places to sit and relax. The spa was outstanding in design. And the staff could not have been more willing to be of service. This is a refreshingly unpretentious spa where clearly their goal is to spoil the guest!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge at Woodloch last weekend. I booked the weekend hoping for a get away to recharge after a particularly intense few months, but this is a great place to visit with girl friends or for Moms and daughters.

We got to the lodge late Friday night. The bellman who greeted us didn't seem at all happy that we were there. (Maybe we were keeping him late?) We checked in and were directed to our room. The rooms are fine, but not outstanding.

The next day we visited the exercise area which is in the same wing as the spa. From there the experience got decidedly better. There is a great gym. My husband who is very into weight lifting had everything he needed. They have lots of cardio equipment and so many exercise classes which were all free for guests. There is truly something for everyone. In addition to the exercise classes they offer cooking demonstrations, wine tasting, ball room dancing, art classes, etc...... There is a walking/running path for outdoor activity. And then there is the spa!!!!! What a delight. We were thrilled and definitely relaxed.

The food is included and, in my opinion, perfect. The portions were right sized and delicious.

I felt that there were a few things that could have been improved upon. It's just the little things that make a difference. The Friday night bellman, for example and while I was in the spa area wait for my treatment, there were two staff members speaking very loudly about their personal vacations. Usually spa areas are quiet and serene. Also I would have appreciated blankets on the lounges in the "whisper room" (quiet room for guests to visit following treatments) It's often the "little things" that make the difference between a world class experience and a great one.

Overall I think it's a place worth visiting and I will definitely return, but a few extra touches will make it irresistible.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Dear wunderlust14,

Thank you for your recent review - it is great to hear that you are "recharged and rejuvenated" after your stay with us. It is nice to hear that you enjoyed the gym, the spa retreat areas, our walking path, the wide variety of classes, and our gourmet spa cuisine in Tree Restaurant! Regarding the interactions you had with our bellman on Friday night and the staff members speaking loudly in the retreat areas, I would like to apologize, and let you know that these staff members will be reminded about the procedures we must follow and the type of welcome we want to provide to all guests. We share Trip Advisor reviews with staff on a daily basis, because your feedback is the most important gauge we have to measure our performance. Thank you for bringing these things to our attention. We hope to welcome you back soon.
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

I've been to the Lodge a few times now. On this visit, I came with a friend who had never been before. We got in about 2:30 pm and when we got to the check-in desk we asked what time our rooms would be ready. This wasn't to rush anyone as we were just trying to figure out whether we wanted to wait in the lobby or get items from our suitcases so we could begin enjoying ourselves.

Instead of the polite reply I would expect like "We are at capacity so it is going to be closer to 4:00 pm but we can let you know if it is earlier" we got the stern response "Rooms are ready at 4:00 pm." My friend shot me a "you have to be kidding me" look and we decided to get a few things from our bag so we use the spa area. We could have had a warmer reception.

Here are my observations/comments on the property:

Room - The rooms are nice but nothing over the top. They are clean and comfortable. I did miss having a bathtub and the scent of the in room products could be more calming. If you have any problems with migraines, don't even open them. The scent is overpowering. They could also expand the channel selection on the televisions since there is nothing to do at the Lodge in the evening.

Spa- The spa is very nice and very relaxing. The treatments are excellent and the Whisper Lounge is a great place to sit and enjoy yourself. As I said before, there is very little to do in the evening at the Lodge so it would be nice if things in the spa were open later. I did notice that they leave things open later on the weekends now but for those taking a mid-week break it would be nice to have the same luxury. The products used for the treatments are lovely but, again, the products in the showers are too heavily scented.

Food - The food is excellent and everything tastes incredibly fresh. I like that they have a buffet option at breakfast and at lunch now. On my previous visits, the buffet option was only available at lunch. We had a hard time getting the time we wanted for dinner on two nights of our stay so if you know you want to eat early or late book your meal time when you make your initial reservation to stay.

Classes- The classes here are really great and my friend and I tried a bunch of them. There is an amazing dance class that takes you on a tour of the world through dance which was so much fun. We also took a kayaking class on the lake which was really fun.

Overall, I find the Lodge very nice and it is an easy place to travel to since I don't have to deal with the hassles of a flight. If I were to decide to fly though, there is no comparison between the Lodge and, for example, the Spa at Lake Austin if you like a "warm and cozy" type of atmosphere. The Lodge does not have this feel but I don't think this is their goal and that is fine. This is just a personal preference of mine.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Dear TRRINVA,

Thank you for your review, and for being a repeat guest here at The Lodge at Woodloch! I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us - we are within easy driving disance for many of our guests, which is always a nice alternative to the hassle of flying at times. Regarding your check in experience, since your stay in November of last year, we have spent significant time working with and training our front desk staff to ensure that a warm welcome is always provided. I can assure you that you will not have the same experience on your next visit. To follow up on a couple of your other points, since November we have installed new flat screen 42" televisions in each room, and are currently working on enhancing our channel listings, adding HD channels, as well as pay per view movie options. We hope to have most of this accomplished within the next 6 months. Also, the guest room bath products we have are rosemary scented, which The Lodge at Woodloch's signature scent. If you are coming to stay with us in the future, and would like to have them removed from the room, please let us know in advance, and we will be glad to do so. Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

My husband and I recently spent Tuesday-Wednesday at the Lodge at Woodloch. We arrived and made our reservation in person-this was not a problem. Though we arrived earlier than the suggested check-in, we were allowed access to our room as well as given a tour of the grand facility. The room was beautiful as were the views and ambiance. The food in Tree was delicious and the waitstaff, cordial and attentive. My husband has food allergies to nuts and seafood. Though a limited menu, the staff at Tree were willing to accommodate his need to diverge from the menu by preparing a chicken breast for his dinner as he does not eat duck or beef (or seafood for that matter). We were very pleased with the accommodation!! The only negative with Tree was the over-priced martinis. I ordered a cosmopolitan on the rocks with a lime and it was $14 while my husband's foreign beer was $8. The beer was fairly priced for an imported beer but I found it tacky to overprice a basic martini such as a cosmo. I could understand if I had specified a top shelf vodka, but I was not asked the question nor did I request. It also tasted just the same as I have had anywhere else (delicious, but nothing different or over-the-top to justify such a price inflation). Lastly regarding food/beverage, while there was cucumber water and lemon water and fruit/nuts in the spa area as well as tea/coffee in the common areas on the 2nd floor of the grounds in addition to the filtered water in the bathroom, I enjoy ice with my beverages and enjoy drinks other than tea/coffee/water. It would have added an extra touch to have ice available on the floor of your room (we stayed on the third floor-if there was an ice machine, it was not mentioned to us) as well as a vending machine with some food/drink options. After dinner at 6 pm, we went for a walk and retired to our rooms where we fell asleep (because of the relaxing atmosphere which was wonderful). We awoke at midnight having fallen asleep so early and were hungry for a little snack and a drink such as an orange juice or a coke but nothing was available other than the filtered water from the spigot in our bathroom or going down to the 2nd floor for tea/coffee. An ice machine and vending machine or even stocking some complimentary juices and little non-perishable snacks in the room would have added that extra, first-class touch.

The other area of concern was our spa service. I want to first point out the positives. The spa area was clean and beautiful. Lisa, in particular, who was on the women's side gave a great tour of the spa facilities and was very pleasant. The product line (Essential Elements-Rosemary) is top-of-the-line! I love how everything from women's hygiene products were made available without asking, razors, brushes/combs, nail polish remover, hair products, blow dryers, curling irons, magazines, cool compresses...you literally didn't need to bring anything with you from home other than your make-up! We especially enjoyed both the eucalyptus and dry saunas as well as the outdoor hot tub and massaging waterfall. After enjoying the spa the whole afternoon, we eagerly looked forward to our massages. This is where we were greatly disappointed. The spa concierge was very friendly and even asked if we wanted to be in the same room together for our massage, which we decided to do, as well as our preference for male/female masseuse. She explained some of the other services such as facials that we were looking forward to scheduling for the next morning but with so many options available, wanted to think about which we wanted during our massage. I'm glad we waited. Our massages, while listed as 50 minutes long last 40 minutes. My masseuse never asked if her pressure was too much, too little. I have received many massages before and all different types, this was honestly the worst! It literally felt like five minutes on my back, five on my upper left side, five minutes on my upper right side, then five on my lower left side, then five on my lower right side, she flipped me over then did my arms quick, legs and gave a sub-par head massage (which was the area I specifically mentioned to her that I wanted focused on). Honestly, I receive longer and more sincere head/scalp massage when I get my hair shampooed at the Salon. Conversely, this was my husband's second massage he's ever had and he was disappointed as well. After the massage, I went out to speak to the spa concierge (a different lady this time, much older and not as friendly) and I told her the little time clock in the room said 3:08 at the start of the massage (it was right in front of me on the counter when I was waiting on the table for the masseuse to come back in) and it was 3:50 when our masseuses left the room for us to change. She said that the massage is really only 40 minutes and that the 50 minutes includes telling the masseuse where you'd like her to focus on and selecting which oil you wanted for treatment. It took only two minutes to accomplish that task. I thought it was quite tacky, yet again, to advertise 50 minutes for a massage and it's only 40 minutes and then it was generic at best. We both felt like it was very rushed and a "how do you feel" mid-way through was simply that-an empty pre-packaged question to which we felt our true opinions would not be heard anyway. And that was the case when I spoke to the older spa concierge woman afterward. She was not interested in hearing my dissatisfied opinion and so I did not trust to schedule any other spa treatments during our stay as I was afraid it would be much more of the same. I also felt, again, that it was falsely advertised as I was under the impression that when literature on the website says that gratuity has been already added, that was factored in the $120, 40 minute massage-not in ADDITION to the $120, 40 minute massage. I will say that Pasquale at the front desk as well as the nice woman who was working alongside of him (both were very approachable) brought that to our attention upon our arrival and before we ordered the service through spa concierge, but then we were uncertain as to whether tips were truly included in everything or not so we ended up tipping the valet who ran our luggage up to our room when we didn't need to (the valet acted as if this was normal for us to do this as well so we thought we were supposed to. I would have thought that if we weren't supposed to, he would have said, "oh no, that's not necessary"). Bottom line, I believe if you're going to advertise to not have to worry about carrying around cash to tip, as it has already been included and factored in pricing (very thoughtful), then that's what it should be, and be clearly reiterated-the prices on brochures should reflect the service WITH tip and should specify the true amount of time of the service-40 minutes as opposed to 50 minutes for a massage.

There was not enough time for us to enjoy the classes as we just wanted to unwind and relax in the saunas/hot tub and since there is little by the way of night life on the immediate property, it would have been appropriate to extend the outside hot tub use until 10 pm instead of 8:30. That seemed a little early to me. I did want to note that the gift shop was a lovely addition. It was stocked with well-priced products as well as an assortment of items, even some product that was utilized at Woodloch (such as the tea from Tree...very smart :) ) and I love how there were items to purchase for children as we have three and they were looking forward to us bringing them back something "cool").

With all of that said, and I realize it's an amount :), the major, major disappointment was the massage. I expected the best massage of my life and instead, received the worst and then to top-it-off, a lack-luster, ho-hum, I don't care attitude from the older spa concierge woman when I tried to make her aware of the situation.

If we chalk up our massage experience as a fluke (assuming this really is a fluke-I certainly hope it is, or I don't know how you'd stay in business as that was one of the main aspects I was most looking forward to regarding my experience at Woodloch and I would imagine that would be the same expectation for the rest of your guests), the alcohol prices were a little more reasonable, and the inclusion of tips more consistently explained and reflected in the price description, it would have been a 9 out of 10, stock the fridge with some complimentary little juices and snacks, and a 10! Instead, we walked away having a 10 experience in some areas and a 3 experience in others so we gave it an overall rating of 7.

Dear dulcemia19,

Thank you for your very thorough review. We appreciate all of your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your overall experience, but am concerned with a few of the points you raised, and have already addressed them with the departments involved. As a general comment, I would like to point out that, being a destination spa, we have chosen to limit the availability of late night food and in room snacks and beverages. As you mentioned, we have water, tea, coffee, fruit, nuts, etc. throughout the property, as well as afternoon snacks in our Garden View room, but we have consciously chosen to stay away from in room mini-bars and vending machines due to the nature of the type of experience we want to provide as a spa.

I would like to apologize if we failed to inform you completely regarding gratuities - our policy is that all gratuities are included with your package, with the exception of additional spa treatments, meals (ie. an additional lunch), and alcoholic beverages. I have addressed your concern with both the bellstaff and the front desk, so that we can more thoroughly prepare guests that make their reservations in person.

Lastly, and certainly not least, regarding your treatments - I am sorry if the treatment times were not presented in a manner that was very clear, and have addressed your concern regarding the staff member involved with our Spa Director. To clarify for other readers, our treatments begin from the moment you meet your therapist, and this is an industry standard. We would truly appreciate an opportunity to have you share your concerns with our Spa Director regarding the treatments you had and the therapists involved; Please feel free to reach out to me at any time and I can arrange for you to speak with the appropriate person. Because we don't receive many negative comments regarding the quality of our treatments, it is most important that we address any concerns right away, so that we can continue to provide the quality experience that we have become known for. We will certainly do this, but any in person feedback would be very helpful as well.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us; they will help us make key improvements to certain aspects of our operation as we move forward. We hope to welcome you back to the Lodge at Woodloch again!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Loved, absolutely loved, the Lodge. From the moment we arrived, we were totally pampered and taken care of. My daughter and I had the mother-daughter package, which was lovely. We purchased the massages, etc. ala carte, however, which ended up being pricey. So check into the inclusive versus the ala carte in terms of spa services as to which would be more economical.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
Dear jswedek,

We appreciate your recent feedback! I am glad to hear that you loved your Lodge experience - being pampered and totally taken care of is our mission for your time here. The Mother-Daughter package is very popular, as it offers a 30% discount to Mom (or if split between the two of you, a 15% discount each). For other readers, I would like to clarify the difference between choosing your treatments on an a la Carte basis versus our Complete Spa Plan, which has a spa allowance built into it. Every package here is based on a per person, per night price, and includes your accommodations, 3 gourmet meals daily, use of all spa and fitness facilities, access to classes and outdoor activities, as well as special programs and presenters. The Complete Spa Plan also includes a $120 spa allowance per person, per night of your stay. If you plan to have a treatment each day you are here, the Complete Spa Plan is a better value, as it has an approximate 15% discount on treatments built into it. I hope that this is helpful for you on future visits. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

I cannot stop thinking about how great this place is. What an incredible concept. The people are great and the place is incredibly charming (especially the rooms, the library, and the fireplaces). I was with my girlfriend (who has been several times) and I must say it was one of the best weekends in recent memory. We stayed from Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon. I highly suggest trying a stone massage! The dining staff was excellent despite being very young (Mallory was a sweetheart and very patient with handling my requests, kudos to management), the check in crew was just as great, and the Fitness / Activity instructors were awesome. My favorite's were Paula (thank you for being so informative and so focused on teaching the class) and Blake (ball room dancing was incredible).

My only critique is of the food (average to good), specifically dinner. The salads were very bare and plain. I ordered one salad with blue cheese and remember asking for more (cheese) since the portion was so small. The server returned and said they were out which could not have been true? The portion could not have been more that 1 / 8 of an ounce. In addition, the sauce with most of my entrees lacked solid flavor (excluding the pork chop - by far the best dish of the weekend). Would I dare to say the reduction for the filet mignon had "gravy master" in it? The curry sauce for the shrimp entree had a very weak / light flavor and the shrimp didn't look or taste fresh. I had the same feeling for the salmon preparation and the dumpling like dish (cant remember the name) - they all lacked zing. The pizza was giant mountain of cheese where it did not sit well afterwards. The risotto was an incredibly small portion (even for an appetizer), could have used some more Parmesan cheese and salt I enjoyed breakfast and the soups at the lunch buffet along with the lunch buffet wraps.

Thank You Staff and Crew for a wonderful time.

Mike Moran

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable and charming.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Dear mike m,

It is great to hear that you can't stop thinking about The Lodge at Woodloch! Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. I will be sure to pass your feedback along to Mallory, Paula, Blake and the rest of our staff. We appreciate your feedback regarding the food as well. I have talked with our Chef and will certainly take your comments into consideration; I am sorry for any miscommunication on our end about ordering extra cheese with your salad - that should not have been a problem at all, and we apologize. If you are able to stay with us again, please let me know...it would be great to have you meet with our Executive Chef while you are here and we can address any concerns that you may have had in person. We certainly want you to enjoy your next experience with us even more! Thank you again; we look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!