“Life Rebalancing and Relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Midweek Magic
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hawley
Delaware
“Life Rebalancing and Relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We were celebrating out anniversary and had considered numerous vacation options most of them included a beach and warm weather. We decided due to a number of factors to stay within driving rage from our home and we are glad we did. In every way the Woodloch was a very special place.

As soon as my husband and I pulled up to the gate we knew it was going to be a great stay. The rooms were clean and cozy, the bathroom was gorgeous and accommodated the two of us perfectly. The resort spared no expense in the way it treated it's guests, there was always a selection of high end tea's and coffee available as well as healthy snacks.

We did take advantage of the many classes the resort offered, my husband and I loved the Yoga and Meditation classes and Spinning was a blast. We also were able to schedule a couples massage which was very relaxing. I would say that one area the resort could improve would be to have the spa concierge give consultations or maybe a class you could attend that would go into more depth about the treatment options. We were interested in more but found that the spa concierge was not very helpful.

The food was outstanding, it was healthy yet indulgent. We were never hungry and always had a variety of gourmet food options at every meal. The wine selection was superb, it was defiantly worth it to purchase a bottle ($35 and up) vs. paying the $15 for a glass.

Overall there was a sense of peace that you get when you are here, it was really a great experience and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Right when you pull up in your car they make you feel special. We went for New Year’s Eve and had a wonderful time. The spa facilities and top notch and are spotlessly clean. The outdoor hot tub on a winter night with the snow gently falling was amazing. The New Year’s dinner was great and included a little party at midnight. Also they had a big bon fire going so the celebrating was inside and outside. The food the entire time were we there was excellent. On the healthy side, but lots of it if you chose to eat more, but easy to stay healthy if you wish. Spa services were on par with the rest of the Lodge. Super relaxing weekend away. The fitness classes were great, as are the waterfall massages in the pool. Everyone who works there is super nice and is always looking to help out making your visit there better. We’ll be back and highly recommend it for couples who want to relax, unwind and enjoy some time together.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the lake, it was beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

Service here is impeccable and its small size,friendly staff and visitors made this feel like a home away from home. The show on Sat night was worthy of being on Broadway , a revelation that shocked us to no end.Wonderful spa facilities and service, and great dining. The only reservation I had was there were not very vigorous aerobic classes but in retrospect, that is probably what the "doctor"ordered..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
woodlochlodge, Manager at The Lodge at Woodloch, responded to this review, March 3, 2012
Dear mainelinebooker,

It was wonderful to see your opening line about service being impeccable - that is our ultimate goal! Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I am glad you had a chance to experience the Saturday night theme show at our sister property, Woodloch Pines. While we also have presentations here at The Lodge, the Saturday night show is yet another option for guests while they are staying with us. If you are interested in a more vigorous aerobic class when you visit us next, we recommend that you try Tabata, Spinning, or even Drums Alive. Our Spa Concierge is always glad to point you in the right direction based on your interests. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back soon.
New Hartford, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

This was my second visit to Woodloch, first being shortly after they opened and I took my teenage daughter at that time.
This trip I had my daughter and daughter-in-laws and we chose a weekend package which came with 2 treatments as well as meals and accomodations.

Check in was very smooth and the valet parking attendants were very friendly. I had forgotten that all tipping was included with our package and gave the valet a small tip for which they were very thankful.
As soon as we got to our room and we looked out to the beautiful grounds we immediately noticed cigarette butts and an empty cigarette carton directly outside our patio door. I went to the front desk and brought the garbage to their attention. They seemed very interested and made a note of my stop.

We immediately changed and went to the pool. Very relaxing after our 3.5 hour drive. Keep in mind that Woodloch is definitely in the middle of nowhere and the winding roads leading to the spa can be challenging for those not accustomed to such narrow roads and curves. Not an issue for me as I am a frequent traveler and grew up in an area similar to Hawley.
The pool is really beautiful and having the outdoor in-ground hot tub as well as an indoor hot tub in both the pool area and women’s and men’s locker room area is a total luxury.

We returned to our room in time to change for our 7pm dinner reservation. The menu offered a variety of options and each one very good. Breakfast and lunch were also excellent.
Should you choose to order from the bar they have a good wine selection as well as many cocktail choices. You’ll pay dearly but that is to be expected in this type of destination. We had one bottle of usually inexpensive white zinfandel and one martini and the bar tab was $62.
Service at the restaurant was average, our server not friendly nor unfriendly, just there to do a job. However the next evening provided us a much more amiable server.

The rooms are very comfortable and the bathroom very nice. Be aware that if you have any mobility issues that the tile in the shower is very slippery. One of the faucets offers filtered water-nice touch.
Saturday morning we opted for morning stretch and some also went to meditation and yoga as well as zumba. All led by very good instructors. The locker room facilities are also outstanding.
The facility requests that all cellphones be off in public areas which was for the most part obeyed. We did have one man during the cooking demonstration who was just rude but the facility can’t control manors.

As for the actual spa treatments they were varied. I had a hot stone massage and a facial and both my technicians were outstanding. I have been to many top spas in the world and found my technicians to be on par with any of the top spas.
However, one of my daughter-in-laws had a less than comfortable experience for her massage. Her technician was down right odd and made her feel very uncomfortable. Karin (not sure if that is the correct spelling of his name-yes it was a man) asked her to start by laying on her back. She was draped but with a very light blanket. The lights were never turned down which would have made for a more serene like setting. When he started massaging her eyeballs she thought it odd and when he asked her to roll over to her stomach and purposely lifted the drape so high he got a peak at everything she was so surprised she just didn’t know what to do. This was truly unacceptable. She probably should have gone to the desk afterwards and said something but she was so embarrassed she didn’t. Don’t worry about getting Karin as he told her he was moving to New Paltz, NY. And yes, he talked throughout the treatment which was another non-relaxing experience. Hopefully he’s choosing a different career path once he moves.
My other girls had wonderful spa treatments.

The only other unfortunate part of our stay was that they never did remove the garbage from outside our patio. Certainly not a reason to give Woodloch a poor review as the facility itself is squeaky clean-but definitely something they should be a little more aware of, especially when it was kindly brought to their attention immediately after check in.

Most of the staff we spoke with were very friendly and wanted to ensure us a pleasant stay. One or two servers weren’t overly interested in smiling but perhaps they were tired as the resort was very busy.

The tote bag and water bottle they gave us at check in were very nice touches and something we will continue to use at home. The coffee and the tea in the library at all times was very much appreciated-and the coffee was very good! Fresh cold water in many areas was also a great touch.

Check out was easy and having the valet get our bags from our room and have them ready in our vehicle was also very much appreciated.

Would we return to Woodloch? Yes. This was a great experience for me and my girls and the drive of less than 4 fours made it a great weekend destination. In fact we were already discussing when we could return!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear lillious,

Thank you for your very detailed review. It is always nice to see a senior contributor's comments and accolades. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay, including the grounds, the spa retreat areas, and in particular the friendliness of our staff. I am very sorry that you found cigarette butts and an empty carton outside of your veranda upon arrival, and that they were not cleaned up during your stay. This is an oversight that should not have happened, and I will be sure to address it with all departments involved.

Regarding the experience that your daughter-in-law had with her massage, I have spoken with our Spa Director, and we would greatly appreciate an opportunity to follow up with her or you in person about this. If you contact me, I would be more than glad to put you in touch with her, so that she can respond appropriately. We take any and all concerns very seriously and would like to speak to you if you are so inclined.

Thanks again for such a thorough review. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lodge at Woodloch in the future.
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Just returned home from my 2 night stay at The Lodge at Woodloch. It was a fantastic experience all the way around. From the check-in process, to the spa treatments, the delicious meals, the luxurious robes, the cozy rooms with fireplaces. It felt like I was enveloped in a cocoon of warmth, relaxation and friendliness. The staff makes a point of remembering your name which helps to make you feel relaxed and welcome and they are always more than helpful. This was my second stay at The Lodge at Woodloch and I will definitely return. It's a treat that everyone should experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

The Lodge at Woodloch is not only beautiful, but the service is amazing. The rooms are well appointed and pretty. I had a nice view of the lake from my balcony, which I think would even be more amazing in the summer. I went alone and everyone always made sure I was included and knew me by name. The spa treatments were very good. The food is portioned appropriately and very tasty. I like that this spa allows wine. I went on a hike and the tour guide was smart and thoughtful. He definitely had a passion for his job. There is an indoor and outdoor hot tub, which can be used in the winter. It was beautiful to be in the outdoor hot tub with snow flurries coming down. I did a wine tasting and a cooking demo, both were nice. There is so much to do and one could also find that quiet space when needed. I recommend this destination spa and cannot wait to go back this summer and kayake in their lake.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Philadelphia suburbs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

Spent this past weekend at the Lodge at Woodloch after looking for a last minute plan for my 16-year old daughter and I. Thought to try Woodloch after reading the reviews and seeing the articles rating it highly, and fortunately for us they had a cancellation which allowed to visit (it was fully booked for the weekend when I tried to book it online). Woodloch is truly a terrific spa, and location in the Poconos is great (drove up from Phila area). I was very surprised to find a spa of this quality right here so close. From the time you arrive they welcome you warmly and attend to your every need. I have to explain that my overall rating of 4 is relative. There are a few other spas I've been to that I would rate as a 5 : the spas at Grand Wailea Hotel in Maui, at Mandarin Oriental in New York and Fonteverde Resort in Tuscany (although on the last it I'm judging just from a day visit not the overnight). Two of these have exotic locations which add to the views and ambience, but their spas also are quite magnificent or unique. But nothing else locally that would even come close to Woodloch. (Never been to Canyon Ranch).

Woodloch is right up there with these others in many aspects. The indoor pool and hot tubs were beautiful, immaculate, and refreshing - plus not crowded at all even though the hotel was fully booked. This indoor area is fully glass enclosed with views to the lovely wooded grounds, and yet warm and cozy. The outdoor hot tub overlooking the grounds and lake was lovely too, especially in the middle of an unexpected snowshower - really special. For services, I had a body wrap and facial, and these were very good. Their signature rosemary bath products were great too. The facility is very lodge-like and matches the mountain surroundings so well - fireplaces throughout (though gas not wood burning) were cozy. The various lounges and waiting areas for services were all very nice, relaxing, comfortable. The rates included the 3 meals per day and the food was fantastic. They seemed to manage the seating in the restaurant so there was always a table available. Nice gym - not crowded. The room we had was also very nice, new, clean, quiet although not overly large or with particularly outstanding aspects - again consistent with the lodge atmosphere throughout....somewhat understated, and unpretentious. It did seem that each room had a very private balcony which must be nice in the warmer weather. Did 2 classes - wouldn't say they were anything particularly special but offered the desired exercise. There were a long list of classes throughout each day and good variety - would have liked to try more, including some of the off-property excursions, but didn't have the time. There was also a great speaker one evening - Rhonda Britten. Looked like a good riding stable nearby, and the little town of Hawley was cute - a short ride from resort.

My 16 year old daughter loved the trip too, and all of the same things I noted.
It was a really wonderful experience. Highly recommend for couples, girls trip and mother/daughter bonding. I'll definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Lodge at Woodloch? Share your experiences!