This is my first trip advisor review. I use them all the time for my families vacations and thought it was time to provide some of my own feedback.
This was our first trip to Woodlock. Our family is five with three boys aged 16, 13, and 6. We stayed on one of the Tuesday - Saturday vacations during the last week of august/first weekend of september.
We had expected an all inclusive vacation. Meaning the kids didn't need to ask for money all day while racking up additional costs. We also assumed that with all the activities listed there would be plenty to do for all age groups.
Here are my pluses and minuses:
+ Food was good especially for an all inclusive, Way too much of it but overall good. The fresh breads/muffins in the morning were our favorites and we took some home with us.
+ Overall service was good. We seemed to have a table however that was between two wait staff. Other tables seemed to have the same wait staff at each meal. We had several. On more than one accassion, I had to call over a staff member from another table to take our order. Seems like a dumb problem and easy to fix. Staff was helpful, flexible and seems happy to be there in dining room and activities. However staff in night club and other areas where they charged for drinks were not as nice and sometimes seemed annoyed when you asked for water in lieu of a paid drink.
+room and grounds cleanliness overall again very good. We arrived the last day they had no power after 3 days without so needless to say some issues with the cleanliness of the room until electricity came back on.
-I would no take children under the age of 12. our two older boys were bored especially after dark. I could keep them somewhat occupied during the day but at night it was really hard. Woodloch needs some type of teen club/area/activities catered to those age groups so they can meet others their age and do things together. We asked the social director when she came around at dinner the first night and although she said they were other kids there my own's age she could not point any out and instead offered that her daughter worked there.
-It is not an all inclusive. Although Woodloch says it's all inclusive other than alcohol it's not true. We went to the nightclub. I ordered some sodas and then received a bill. When I questioned this was told the drinks are only included when in the dining hall. So they charge for a soda at the pool, at the beach, at the nightclub, during bingo etc. Also although they offer food at the pool, beach etc. You can only eat on the meal plan in the dining room where they do not allow bathing suits. So for lunch we had to go back to the room, change and then go to the dining room. They also charge for quite a few of the activities including shooting range, batting cage, all of the games in the game room inlcuding buying a pingpong ball to play. I felt this was really petty especially given the price we paid.
- The price. sorry but I don't get it. With the five of us in a room and the discount we received , they still charged $787. 25 a night. I am from NY and that's still a shocker. Finally the service charge of 15 % which is in addition to the room charge and of course room taxes. It does not include the alcohol servers and luggage handlers and believe me they wait for their tips. At the end of the day I felt it was very expensive for what we got and then were nickel and dimed for many other items.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This exceptional Poconos resort, nestled in a pristine mountain lake setting, is regarded as one of America's "Best All-Inclusive Family Resorts". Their traditional warm hospitality has been nurturing and embracing the spirit of spending quality time with family and friends for over fifty years. This Pocono Mountains resort provides a four-season, fun-filled, lakeside escape for your entire family with endless activities and entertainment for all kids from 2 to 92. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Woodloch Pines Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodloch Pines Hotel Hawley
- Woodloch Pines Hawley