“A must-see for ALL AGES!! Something to do all day for everyone!!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Hawley
GreenLeadersGold level
Ontario, Canada
“A must-see for ALL AGES!! Something to do all day for everyone!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

An amazing family place for ages 0-100!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!! We are a family of 6 with two 12 year olds, a 5 year old, and a 3 year old. It’s very difficult for us to find a spot where all kids have non-stop things to do. Initially pulling up to the resort, I was struck by the beauty of the scenery, but as soon as I realized how much there was to do on the resort FOR FREE, you couldn’t get me out of here. There are so many repeat guests and on your first trip you will find out why within minutes of arriving.

PROS: 1) The rooms are clean and updated. 2) The service is amazing… so amazing that you wonder how they find a group of people that never stop smiling and laughing. They try to learn your names and get to know you personally. 3) They cater to EVERY age group. I saw them wheel seniors around in their wheelchairs to be part of the parades, have trivia contests geared towards different age groups, and free onsite activities geared towards families of kids with all ages. 4) The food is fantastic. I was very worried that it was going to be typical all-inclusive type cheap food, but was positively surprised to find the I would be eating roasted chicken, prime rib, crab legs, shrimp, crab cakes, roast pork… really great options that tasted great. 5) 99% of activities are free (bumper cars, snow tubing, go carts, climbing wall, indoor playground, shuffleboard, indoor/outdoor basketball courts, tennis courts, etc). The things that cost were alcohol, riffle range, and batting cages. 6) The shuttle bus. It allowed our older kids a little more freedom because we could trust that they were going to end up at their destination without getting lost… just tell the driver where you’re headed and he drops you right off!! 7) THE PRIZES!!! There’s not a child who won’t walk away with a medal of achievement.

CONS (and believe me, I had to rack my brain to think of cons, which are so minimal): 1) minimal food available in between meal times. Would be great to see some fresh fruit, if not just a bowl at the front desk. My kids love their fruit and even when they asked for some fruit at mealtimes, the kitchen couldn’t accommodate because it was already prepared for a fruit salad. 2) Mats beside beaver slide in the kids splash pad are too far away from the actual slide resulting in many floor burns everyday on my 3 and 5 year olds from sliding off the side or slipping off. 3) Would be nice to have the next day’s meal and activity sheet the night before so we could plan our day. 4) The kids’ virgin cocktails are quite pricey considering it’s really just a mixture of pop and fruit juices and if you order a pop or a juice it would be free (perhaps $2 would be much more reasonable)
We will be back every year with the family!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Woodloch, Manager at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, March 29, 2011
DBo122 - What a fantastic review, we always strive to make the guest experience better and your recommendations are great – we will definitely take these into consideration as we continue to improve our overall product.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us and detailing the all-inclusive nature of Woodloch. This is one of our biggest selling points that we sometimes find trouble expressing to new guests, so thank you for helping to bring it to the forefront. We look forward to seeing you again real soon! I’m sure your 12yos will enjoy the zipline this summer!

~ The Woodloch Family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
New Canaan, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

The Kiesendahl family really knows the definition of hospitality. I just arrived home and wanted to share my experience at the resort. The resort is immaculate and in excellent condition with something to do for everyone. I am someone that normally stays at high end resorts such as the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, St Regis and always impressed when I leave Woodloch. Woodloch is a different experience than the resorts I mentioned but worth every penny. If you are travelling alone or an adult couple then stay at The Lodge. I have been so impressed that I purchased a building lot at one of their residential communities and looking forward to building a dream house for my entire family to enjoy. Again thank you to the Kiedendahl family for another amazing vacation.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Rob - We can't thank you enough for your kind words, we appreciate the time you could spare to share them here on tripadvisor. Most importantly we look forward to welcoming you back - on a regular basis! Good luck with the new house, we're sure those Woodloch Builders will create a masterpiece for you!

Patchogue, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

We have been guests at Woodloch for 20 years and the Service, Food, Accomodations, Activities,Meals have been TopNotch. Professionalism all the way or We would not be back. Friendly welcome back greeting all the time. Thanks and we will see you again in the fall.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Woodloch, Manager at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2011
Irene - You are too kind. Thank you so much for the feedback and thank you for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you "home" again this fall!

Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Woodloch describes itself as a cruise experience on land. The only true comparison I can see is the price. Last President's Day weekend, we went on a three night cruise out of Miami. This year we decided to go to Woodloch. In the end, the cost for the vacations, including transportation, were almost identical, but Woodloch simply does not justify the price it charges. If you have a choice, pick the real cruise and not this land locked wannabe. For that matter, there are just far more resort options out there that cost roughly the same or even less that offer so much more.

Let's start with the rooms. First off, when they describe themselves as a family resort, they mean it in the same way that Chucky Cheese means when they describe themselves as a family restaurant. Despite the prices they charge, this is not close to a luxurious resort. The rooms are certainly clean and roomy, but the amenities would be more comparible to a Holiday Inn than the Ritz Carlton. There is nothing wrong with that, but I figure those paying Ritz Carlton prices going in may end up somewhat disappointed with what they ultimately get. The term comfortable is comparable to a real estate agent describing a property as cozy. Just don't expect anything fancy.

Next the food. If you go with the all inclusive plan, you will be assigned a table in the dining room for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with about a one hour window in which you can eat. The dining rooms are decorated in an old fashioned lodge manner. The food quality can best be described as good banquet food. Some items were very good and others not so good. It was not up to the standard of most cruise ships much less a gourmet restaurant, but it was certainly not horrible. The selection each night was generally one of three or four options for a main mean, with a soup, salad and several desert options. On Friday I had an overdone thin slice of Prime Rib with "au Jus" that tasted like canned gravy, along with mushy broccoli and potatoes. However, the soup, salad and desert were all very good. On Saturday they served a very nice piece of chateaubriand that fortunately didn't need the bad gravy they served with it along with overcooked asparagus and mashed potatoes that were more instant than actual potato. Still, the food would have been acceptable it they were not charging high end prices for the entire experience. When I pay gourmet prices, I expect more than this.

The resort facilities were great for kids, but not so great for adults. Unlike a cruise ship, they do not have a kids club that entertains your kid while you take some time to yourself. To them family activities require the participation of the entire family. If your idea of a great vacation is sitting around watching your kid play games, then you will love this place. They really have a lot to do for your kids, and my daugher mostly enjoyed herself. The indoor pool area was particularly nice for the littlest ones. There are lots of video games to pour quarters in and other things like go carts and bumper cars that were included in the price of the resort.

Their idea of entertainment for the grownups is not quite to my liking. If your favorite cruise ship activities are bingo, horse racing and trivia games, then this is indeed like a cruise ship, because that is what they had for entertainment. Night life is nonexistant. There is really only one small bar. Otherwise, they expect you will just go to their scheduled nightly activity, which was horse races one night and a musical show the other. I think everyone was in bed most nights by 10:00.

The show was cute. Think well done High School musical. It was far from what you would see on a cruise ship, but still fairly entertaining. They also had a magician who was entertaining for the kids and painful to watch for the adults. The staff is enthusiastic and tries hard, but the activities are still really hokey and unimaginative. Still, I can see how this would be a nice place for a large family gathering where the adults mostly want to hang out with each other and catch up while the kids are entertained by the many kids facilities. For two adults and a child though, I felt the whole experience to be lacking.

The resort itself is very spread out. If you are not staying in the main lodge, then you will either have to walk 5 minutes outside in the elements (and it was really cold and windy when we were there) or wait 15 minutes for a bus that circles the resort. The facilities are also spread out, so even if you are staying in the main lodge, where most of the shows and things like bingo happen, you will still need to walk to the pool, or the other things like the bumper cars, ice skating or go carts. I realized this when looking up the property, but experiencing it is another thing altogether.

The resort is also pretty much in the middle of nowhere. It is a 15 minute ride on a winding, bumpy road from the nearest "town" of Hawley, PA. Don't expect to do any day trips. You are here for the duration of your vacation. Big Bear Ski resort is a 15 minute ride away down an even bumpier road. My daughter and I went skiing there and I would describe it as a very nice place for a beginner skier, but I imagine pretty boring for someone with more experience. Because the resort and the ski slope and not related and far apart, it is not really convenient to ski, take a break at your room and then ski some more like at other resorts in the Poconos. Thus, we ended up skiing far less than we had really wanted to. If skiing is the biggest reason for your trip, there are far better options elsewhere in the Poconos.

In concousion I simply cannot recommend this place. They are charging prices that compare to cruising, or high end resorts in the Caribbean, but delivering far less for the money. It perhaps would be a nice place for a large group of friends or family with lots of children. There is no way you would come here without kids. There are simply far too many better options for the price to justify ever coming back here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Woodloch, Owner at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
JMoyer - Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. Our goal is to provide an exceptional experience for each guest. We take constructive criticism very seriously and view comments like yours as opportunity to review our program and make any appropriate changes and improvements.

Woodloch is family owned and operated and our family members and managers make themselves very accessible during your stay to ensure a positive experience. We would have welcomed the opportunity to offer different meal options, describe the late night entertainment that was scheduled each night, and assist you in taking full advantage of all our activities and offerings. Our goal is not to be a Ritz Carleton but to provide the finest family vacation in a comfortable atmosphere. Most guests find great value in what we offer.

Many of our activities are designed for all ages to participate. Our philosophy is to offer our guests with children a program for all ages to enjoy together. This provides the opportunity for parents and children to reconnect and interact at a time when that valuable time seems to be shrinking as our lives get busier. Babysitters are available if parents choose to sneak a way to the Spa, Sports Bar or late night entertainment.

We hope you will reconsider and join us again in the future. We would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly. Please e-mail us at woodmark-at-woodloch.com.

In the Spirit of Hospitality,
The Woodloch Family and Management Team
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Just got back from a 3 night getaway and can't say enough great things about this resort! I was looking for a place where we could spend quality time together as a family and Woodloch exceeded my expectations. Our 8 and 6 year olds loved pretty much everything - snow tubing, pool, splash park, bingo, bumper cars, go karts, indoor jungle gym, the shows, etc. But my 8 year old especially loved the competitions. The staff is so wonderful at creating friendly competitions and great creative games. My son got 3 medals and wore them to school today. The service was great and everything was very clean. Especially hard this time of year when people are tracking in snow and mud everywhere. The kids didn't watch any TV they were so busy (which for us is incredible!) A great place for multiple ages too. We'll look forward to going back with my parents and other families too!

PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

We've been coming to Woodloch for over 15 years and love every minute of our vacations! The poor review by the Plainview, New York guest, is totally unbelievable to all of us who frequent this resort. If you are looking for a place to bring your family, young or old, this is for you. Nestled in the wooded Poconos, you will find the Pines resort and a few miles away, the Springs. Both offer full use of resort activities.The housing accomodations in the Springs are immaculately clean. We love the privacy that comes with staying in these houses. The activitites are old-fashioned fun which make fabulous family memories. There is an award-winning and challenging golf course on premises. Leave the stresses of work and the hustle and bustle of daily living and book a vaction at Woodloch. You won't regret it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Woodloch, Manager at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Margo - Thank you so much for your kind words. We're very lucky to have you as such a faithful guest of ours. I would say that coming to Woodloch for 15 years would definitely give you a sense of what Woodloch is all about, you're practically family by now! And I'm sure you'll agree that whether it's your first of 15th year here our staff really do try to treat guests like family, truly as company in our own home.

Looking forward to welcoming you back!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

Our family has vacationed at Woodloch for several years now, and it continues to be full of fun and great memories!! The staff are all pleasant and helpful. Everyone from the waitstaff to reservationst to the activities department, they all continue to make our vacations enjoyable year after year! They really do go the 'extra mile' to make sure all of our requests and needs are met.
Our room was just perfect for our large family, right down to the fact that it was attached to the pool so we didn't have to bundle up our little guy to go swimming.. We LOVE the pool!!
We really enjoyed Name That Tune and the horse and wagon ride on the lake. Our kids loved the petting zoo and pony rides and the adults in our family loved the Theme Show and comedian too!!
We made friends with several different families over our weekend stay. From the granparents to the toddlers in our family, everyone really had a great time! We all have plans to come back again....we definitely have the Woodloch Fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Woodloch, Manager at Woodloch Pines Resort, responded to this review, February 11, 2011
Thank you so much for the positive comments. We are thoroughly appreciate the time that you took to share this with everyone. You definitely get what we're all about, "togethering", bringing family and friends together and sharing a great experience.

We hope to see you back here soon.

~ The Woodloch Family

Been to Woodloch Pines Resort? Share your experiences!