“A Perfect Neighborhood BYOB” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Philly
“A Perfect Neighborhood BYOB”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is a wonderful store front BYOB on Brookline Blvd in Havertown. Warm and cozy seven of us visited on a quiet thursday night when there were four other tables (couples) enjoying the friendly atmosphere which defines Kaya's.
Perfect spot for a married couples night out. Affordable and romantic. Terrific for a night out.
Never going to win a foodies destination restaurant award, but it fulfills what it wants to be, a great neighborhood placed to enjoy a meal in a relaxing envirnoment.
Limited menu which leans to traditional servings. The night I was there, two fish entrees were offered to compliment the regular menu.
Liked, did not love, my NY strip steak.
The server could not have been more friendly or professional. Will happliy return.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Redstone CO
“Perfect spot for an intimate rehearsal dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Jess and Mike Hawthorne run a sweet, cozy BYOB restaurant in what my source says used to be a florist's shop. The staff is relaxed, friendly, and helpful, especially Kara. Jess gave us good advice, was accommodating, and available for planning a group dinner with clients from out of state via email. The food was excellent, and unique, beautifully presented. Everyone expressed their appreciation for the atmosphere along with the food. Jess even wiped off the remaining bottles for repackaging for the trip home again! There is metered on-street parking out front and in the nearby lot, but after 6 PM, parking is free there.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Havertown, Pennsylvania
“Great Every Time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We have been here three times. The food has been wonderful, many of the same dishes but always something new as well. The duck is fantastic; had fish tacos the other night and they were wonderful. I have a gluten allergy and the chef is always careful to let me know what I can eat and willing to make changes if necessary

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Havertown, Pennsylvania
“Cute Little Restaurant in Havertown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I bought a Living Social coupon because Kaya's is local and we could walk there. We called to make a reservation for a Saturday evening. We asked for 6 pm and were asked to come at 6:15 pm which was fine. The menu is a chalk board menu with limited choices and everything is ala carte. There were five chalk board choices plus a nightly special. My husband does not like seafood and three of the six choices were fish. His first menu choice is always a chicken dish but this particular evening, there were no chicken choices...strike one. I ordered the crab cakes with coconut sauce which was yummy. The entree which came with snow peas which were cooked perfectly but the jasmine and safron rice was a disappointment...the rice was not cooked enough. My husbands beef filet was delicious. He didn't want the asparagus that was to go along with it and they were willing to substitute the apple and carrot salad which he enjoyed.
The place is dark - walls and ceiling painted black. The restaurant seats about 40 people and it was full and noisey. The seats are very uncomfortable so we were ready to leave right after dessert.
The owner waited on us and service was fine ; water glasses filled a number of times. We were glad not to have the waitress that was very obviously chewing gum...pretty unappetizing...

Cute place...willing to host private parties.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
“Squeezing down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently were given a gift card to Kaya's. That's a really good gift! The food is always excellent. But our last visit turned out to be an eye-opener. The place was redone to be a little more spacious, open, and more "livable." Unfortunately, it seemed as if the price of business is squeezing Kaya's into making cuts --- to service, to serving sizes, and to quality. This is truly unfortunate, and I hate to jump to the conclusion that it's the economy, but it might be.
The bread was an indicator. What had been delicious, plentiful, and well adorned bread service has turned into five little slices of a small roll, a little dry and chewy (getting stale?) and a single teaspoon ball of butter (honey-cinnamon). It was like getting five rye-crisps and a spray of butter. Not good.
The main dishes were tasty, as usual, but accompanying starch and vegetable were small dabs, and not very inspired. I can put up with small portions (ala French dining!) but I would insist that it be delightful to eat. Unfortunately, I could have done without the dabs of "sides" I got. Not good.
Service also suffered, with our waiting excessively for attention, then for water, then for bread. The early going set the pace and other tables (coming in after we did) were served sooner. Unfortunately, but showing a misstep in the kitchen. Not good.
Conclusion: slipping but not hopeless. If Kaya's can pull itself together (even if that means tweaking prices a bit) I'll still want to eat there. But if it tries to "cheap out" on its devoted following, they (and I) won't be devoted long. Perhaps it was just an off night --- I'm sure anyplace can have that --- but it looked consistent across all the plates I could see. More like a plan. Say it isn't so!

• Visited February 2013